AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody heard these yet? I guess they're out since my dealer got a pair in about a week ago. Revel has updated their site also with a new page and downloadable PDF:

http://www.revelspeakers.com/revelF50.html

I have the F30's, C30, and B15 which I all LOVE. The F50's look like a very worthy upgrade to the F30's. They're certainly MUCH better looking, IMHO. At around $8K, however, they better be a huge sonic upgrade to tempt me to upgrade from the F30's. I look forward to an audition soon. If anyone's heard them yet, I'd love a report. My dealer says they come darn close to the Studios.

Tom

·
Registered
360 Posts
Tom,

I agree with ya on the better appearance issue. How can such a great sounding speaker look so UGLY?? :). That $8k price tag brings up a dilemma, if you look hard enough you can find used Studios for under $7k. I think due to their tall height the F30's would make an awesome rear ch. speaker and use the Studios/F50's upfront.

What are you powering your Performas with? I am looking for other alternatives to the not too cheap Proceed HPA's.

Michael

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Michael,

The F30's appearance has grown on me and the sound quality certainly makes up for it! They have a pretty high WAF in my house too, mainly because she likes the cherry veneer. The F50's are a very classy looking speaker, however, unlike the clunky F30's. My dealer said when Revel gets around to upgrading the F30 in a few years they'll make it look like the F50.

Good idea about moving my F30's to the rear should I upgrade to the F50's. Unfortunately my room doesn't support full range speakers as rears, and I must go with small wall mounted surrounds. Currently using 2 pairs of M&K SS-150'S for sides and rears and an M&K S-85C for center rear. These blend well with the Perfomas up front and do a good job as surrounds, albeit with the need for an 80 Hz x-over point. My dealer will give me a full trade-in allowance on the F30's against the F50's, so I'll probably just trade them in should I go for the upgrade.

I'm driving my whole system with a Theta Dreadnaught amp (8 channel configuration). It's a terrific amp and sounds great with the Revels. It's pretty reasonably priced for what you get, but certainly in the same price category as the Proceed amps.

Good suggestion about used Studios vs. F50's. The F50's will definitely integrate visually much better with my C30 and B15. Since there isn't a cherry finish available on the Studios, I'd have to look for an an all black finish which would have an abysmally low WAF in my house! I will compare the F50's against the Studios when I audition to see how they stack up. With Revels new ceramic driver technology on the F50's I wonder how close they get to the Studios at a fairly equivalent price point.

Tom

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tom,

I'm very interested in hearing your impression of the C30. I have Performa M20s and a pair of S30 side surrounds, and have been trying to decide if the C30 is a worthwhile addition. Having a center that costs almost as much as the pair of mains has been holding me back up to this point. I have also considered getting another set of M20s and using one as a center and have another eas a spare, or as a single rear surround. This may be cost efffective without sacrificing much if anything. I wonder if an M20 center would be a perfect center match for the M20 mains, or if the C30 is better, since it is designed to fit in. I think Revel has tailored the frequency response of the C30 somewhat, but I don't know how much better it would work than another M20.

Thanks! I also am very interested in the F50 - gottq go sneak a peak soon.

Chris

·
Registered
360 Posts
Anytime you can match a speaker with the rest of ther system you should do it. I have listened to the C30 on 2 occasions. It matches the rest of the Series fine while it didn;t blow me away, I think adding one would be fine. I personally would go with the F30's upfront and finding a used Utlima Voice as my center. The Voice is an AWESOME center channel speaker!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Tom,

As an owner of Kevin Voecks designed Snell C/Vs, I've considered upgrading to the F50s, but I've not heard them. I would never switch to the F30s from my Snells. Given the F50s cost, I may look for a slightly used or demo set of Studios instead. If you choose this route, remember the Ultima and Performa lines can be mixed together, therefore you can keep your C30 center and surrounds. This was confirmed in my discussions with Kevin Voecks himself.

I'm very interested in the F50s because of the new driver design, it should be interesting. The one thing that bothered me about the Performa series is that they sound very clinical and not as sweet as the Ultima series or as some of the older Snells. The Snell Type A was a classic and is still great today.

Rajiv...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have a pair of the F30's in addition to the Aerial speakers I own.

I think the F30's are pretty awesome for the price. I would love to get the F50's, but the price is a little steep. (You could get 2 pair of F30's for that price). I love the styling of the F50 over the F30 but wonder if it will be as dynamic as the F30 for home theater.

Ideally, I would have liked to have had an entire Revel Performa home theater setup. However, I am not impressed with the C30 center speaker or S30 surrounds. I have the Aerial CC5 center speaker and it sounds much better than the C30 IMO. (The F30's actually sound quite nice with the Aerial CC5 center speaker).

IMO in home theater, the center speaker is the most critical so I went with the best I have heard to date. I have heard that Revel will be releasing a C50 center speaker, but not for another year or so (don't quote me on this).

Jimmy

·
Registered
293 Posts
Jimmy,

You are correct sir. The Revel C30 is not as good as the Aerial CC5. Since the CC5 is probably in the class of the Revel Voice. Keep in mind the price of the C30 is about $1800 and the CC5 is about $3500.

The Revel S30 surrounds are about $2500/pair and in my opinion are over priced. They were designed after the Snell SR30mp surrounds that sell for $1500/pair after Kevin went to a CES and met some of his old Snell buddies. The Snell debut was more than a year before the Revels.

One thing is for sure the Revel Studios, Voice & eEmbrace work well with Proceed amps & processors. They match up well.

Rajiv...

·
Registered
454 Posts
I currently have Revel Studios and Voice and I would like to repalce my Mirage M3SI which are being used as rear speakers. I can't use Revel Embrace since one side of the wall is almost all glass. My choices are Revel Gems, M20 or F30. Has anyone heard any of the above being used as rear speakers?

The rear speakers will be driven with a Citation 7.1 amp in bi-amp configuration at 150 w per channel. The Studios and Voice are driven with Krell FPB 250M monoblocks.

Rich

·
Registered
360 Posts
Rich,

I will offer my advise if I can come to your house and play! :)..lol I would have to say that F30/F50's would be great rear channels because they are so tall (50inches I think) so the tweeter would be above most couch backs. In the recent SGHT review, Thomas Horton seemed to favor the F30's over the Gems (if I interputed that right).Pending the budget or when I win the lottery :) I would say a Studio/Voice front and F30 rear setup would be awesome!!! Of course a dream setup would be Salon's/Voice upfront and Studios on the side&rear with the Lexicon MC12!!..WOW that would rock!!

For the other Revel owners, do you find them to be very picky about their placement? The F30's have a rear port and I am curious how close to the wall can you place them before it becomes too bass-boomy?

Michael

·
Registered
273 Posts
Quote:
For the other Revel owners, do you find them to be very picky about their placement? The F30's have a rear port and I am curious how close to the wall can you place them before it becomes too bass-boomy
Yes, you can achieve different results with placement and orientation. It is also compounded by the addition of the controls over the rear tweeter etc...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mike,

I have the same concern about placement of the F30. It would be placed only about 1 foot away from the wall. I am afraid this might produce boomy bass. For this reason, I was considering the Gems or M20.

Rich

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:
I have the same concern about placement of the F30. It would be placed only about 1 foot away from the wall. I am afraid this might produce boomy bass. For this reason, I was considering the Gems or M20.
I just got a pair of M20s (and a C30). They are very sensitive to placement, and seem to like being more than 18" from the wall - 2' is better. When too close to the wall, the bass doesn't get boomy, but they sound "closed" and the imaging degrades dramatically. They have a switch on the back for bookshelf-style mounting, which I haven't tried.

BTW, they are sensitive to more than just distance from the wall - minute changes in location make a pretty big difference. They are way more sensitive to placement than any speakers I've owned. All that said, I like them a lot.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Lennyr,

Are you referring to the back side of the speaker being >18 inches to the wall or from the sidewall? If I were to use the F30's as rears they would be directly to my left & right against the side walls...maybe pulled out a foot or so.

Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
lennyr,

I'm very interested in your impressions of the C30. I am considering one to go with my M20s and S30s. Satisfied with the sound? How sensitive is the C30 to placement? Do you listen to much music, or mainly movies? I am primarily a music listener, so I'm very interested in how the C30 does with DPLII and/or Logic7

BTW, try the bookshelf mount position when you have your M20s near the wall - it can make a difference.

thanks for any info you can give me.

Chris

·
Registered
509 Posts
Mike,

WRT placement of the M20s, I was refering to the closest part of the speaker to each wall, i.e. the back vs. the back wall, the side vs. the side wall. I haven't listened to the F30s, so I don't know if they are as placement sensitive as the M20s.

Chris, I'm pretty happy with the C30 so far. It has a nice, smooth, natural feel to it, and it blends perfectly with the M20s - pans are completely seemless, but perfectly localized. The C30 doesn't seem as sensitive to placement as the M20s, but I haven't experimented with it as much (but I haven't felt as compelled to). I haven't listened to any music with the C30, just movies.

I'm interested in your opinions of the S30s; I listened to them in the store, and liked them a lot, but they are expensive and I haven't convinced myself that I need great sound in surrounds. I'm using Paradigm Titans for surrounds now, and they are the weak link in the system.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well i just got back from my Revel dealer and no can do on the F50's. They ordered their demos in Sycamore and apparently there is a backlog on that finish. Oh well!! So I asked to hear the M20's with the B15 ...he had to move them into a different room and OOOOOOPS...Big Fumble...dropped a M20..needless to say the audition didn't happen. :)

I asked the "Revel Guy" there about the placement issues we discussed here. On the F30's they should be atleast 2 feet from a side wall and more then 12 inches from the backwall..the further out the better. Using acoustic foam behind the speaker will offer some assistance if you need to place them closer. He was not willing to confirm or deny the rumor about the C50 center speaker. He did offer some insight about that new Levinson No.40 media contoller and what the new AVP II will offer.

Well I hope this helps!

Michael

·
Registered
140 Posts
Rich,

Just as an FYI, the Revel Embrace can also be mounted from the ceiling. You can special order from Revel the ceiling mounting brackets instead the side walls. Hope this helps.

RV

·
Registered
454 Posts
rv,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am concern that mounting the Embrace on the ceiling is going to give poor sound dispersion. I may consider mount the Embrace on the rear walls instead of on side walls.

BTW, did the jumpers I sent you solve your noise problem with LE1?

Mike,

I heard a demo of the M20, C30, S30 and B15 a couple of weeks ago. The M20's are really excellent speakers for the price. It matched very well with the B15. The B15 is a very impressive sub with lots of features. My B15 is used for HT and 2 channel music. It blends in very well with the Studios to give the last couple octaves of the low end.

Rich

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi fellow Revel lovers,

New F50s may be an excellent alternative compared to used Salons or Studios, at least in my case.

Right now I'm running M20s Left, Center(2), Right with a Velodyne HGS-18 which mates extremely well with the M20s.

If my foundation can take it, I may add a second Velodyne HGS :)

At the moment I'm using a couple pair of M&K SS-150 for side and back surrounds. The SS-150s mate pretty well with the M20s.

Anyway there is no way I can locate a pairor two of M20s for surrounds so I'm stuck with wall mounting something on the small, light side.

I'm thinking of the F50s or Studios/Salons to replace my L/R M20s.......... then maybe do something about the surrrounds.

Do you guys have any suggestions??????????????

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.