AVS Forum banner

12921 - 12940 of 18853 Posts

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
I liked the F36 speakers so much that I then purchased a pair of the new F228Be speakers as part of a 5.1 home theater system. I bought a C 208 for the center channel and the remainder of the speakers are also from the Performa 3 series. Since all of the speakers have similar timbre and sound, mixing speakers from different lines was not a problem for me.

The F228Be speakers, along with the various other 5.1 speakers, arrived this past Monday. I am very happy with them and have started trying a wide range of music and movies in order to hear what they can do. I can't wait for the weekend to arrive.

Various messages in the AVS Forum contributed to my eventual decision. I want to especially thank both Kal Rubinson and DonH50 for the information, interaction and help that they provided as I went about the process of determining what to purchase. Kal, your Music In The Round column in Stereophile has been very informative and continues to expand my knowledge of multichannel music options, recordings of interest, and various other hardware and software solutions. I am still catching up on some of the older articles and in general find them to be useful.
Thanks for the kind words!

The ability to mix and match up and down the Revel line is indeed a great blessing and not found in a lot of other manufacturer's products IME/IMO. Probably intentionally to provide a reason to upgrade. The improvements going up the Revel line are a bit more subtle, though I will say comparing my Salon2's to my F206's, while the lineage is apparent, you aren't going to mistake one for the other. ;)

I went with a C206 center for the family room but man that thing looks small... I suspect a C208 is in my future but I haven't even finished setting up the system yet (had the sub a week now, too many other things going on).

Kal is definitely a great guy!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The ability to mix and match up and down the Revel line is indeed a great blessing and not found in a lot of other manufacturer's products IME/IMO. Probably intentionally to provide a reason to upgrade. The improvements going up the Revel line are a bit more subtle, though I will say comparing my Salon2's to my F206's, while the lineage is apparent, you aren't going to mistake one for the other. ;)
That's really interesting! Did you pair the C206 with the F206--or did you actually pair it with Salon 2?

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Well, in my world, 56 degrees is important.

Look up Brewster’s Angle.. ;-)
Whilst I have built optical transceiver circuits, optics ain't really my thang.

Isn't Brewster's Angle the one that is 90 degrees from everything? :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
@Aja , what speakers are you using for surrounds?
I am using a pair of M106 speakers from the Performa 3 line. This weekend I hope to connect the microphone and run the application in my Pioneer Elite VSX-60 av receiver to balance the individual speaker sound levels. Even without doing this, the sound contribution from the surrounds is very nice. I also purchased the related Revel speaker stands and am very happy with them. The surrounds are now at a recommended height. My old surrounds sat 5' above the floor, which was a poor location based on the seating in the room.

Additional Impressions:
I am extremely happy with my new C208 center channel speaker. I can now easily hear every single word spoken, even if it was poorly recorded. Part of this is due to the Revel speaker stand for the C208. It firmly positions the C208 at the perfect elevation and angle for me. While I might consider other stands for the surrounds, I feel that the revel speaker stand for the C208 is so much a critical part of the overall center sound solution that I would not even consider a substitute stand.

I am lucky that my current receiver is able to handle the Revels. I do not have a 4k tv or projector and plan to take my time upgrading to a new receiver or preamp and amp solution. I will probably wait until I upgrade my tv/projector, which might be several years from now, depending on what the manufacturers produce. In the mean time I will sit on the sidelines and watch as various new standards are created/implemented. It seems like the av receiver related companies keep changing the standards, making it more difficult with each passing year to hang onto existing gear .

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
That's really interesting! Did you pair the C206 with the F206--or did you actually pair it with Salon 2?
I have a new family room system upstairs that has a a pair of F206's, a C206, and a Rythmik F12 subwoofer (plus some old Mirage OmniSats for the surrounds). Speakers are set up and plumbed but I have not set up the system yet (need to run Audyssey and all that jazz). I did verify the speakers work but have not had any time with them. Hopefully this weekend.

My main media room is downstairs in the basement; got it when we finished the basement a few years ago. That system has Salon2 L/R, Voice2 center, and F206 surround and rear speakers. I have compared the Salon2's to the F206's, briefly, but that's about it. That's why I don't usually chime in on the comparison questions -- too lazy to reroute, reposition, and do a proper comparison. The Salon2's are too durn big and heavy to schlep around the room! And the Voice2 is no lightweight itself, so don't look to me to do a comparison to the C206 anytime soon... :)

Reactions: nalthien

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the kind words!

I went with a C206 center for the family room but man that thing looks small... I suspect a C208 is in my future but I haven't even finished setting up the system yet (had the sub a week now, too many other things going on).

Kal is definitely a great guy!
I also considered the C206, but felt that the center channel sound is so critical, and that the C208 sufficiently enough better than the 206 that I went with the 208. You need to consider replacing the 206 right away. Even though the location is the family room, the center channel is so important that you might want to consider the Voice 2 from the Ultima line. A lesser solution that improves upon the 206 would be the 208 (including speaker stand). Let us know if you decide to upgrade your center channel. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The Salon2's are too durn big and heavy to schlep around the room! And the Voice2 is no lightweight itself, so don't look to me to do a comparison to the C206 anytime soon... :)
I was just showing a picture of the Salon2 to my wife this morning. Her first question: "how heavy are those?"

My response: "Heavier than you want to know."

It did remind me that one of the motivations I had for my ESLs was my daughter was 1 at the time and knocked over my old Motion 40 towers a couple of times and we were worried she might knock them onto herself. With Martin Logan ESLs, they are very "bottom heavy" so very hard to knock over. My daughter is 4 now--but I also have a 6 month old. My speakers would be on carpet this time which should help somewhat with spikes; but, I'm curious (for everyone, not just DonH50) about the stability of the Salon 2.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was just showing a picture of the Salon2 to my wife this morning. Her first question: "how heavy are those?"

It did remind me that one of the motivations I had for my ESLs was my daughter was 1 at the time and knocked over my old Motion 40 towers a couple of times and we were worried she might knock them onto herself. With Martin Logan ESLs, they are very "bottom heavy" so very hard to knock over. My daughter is 4 now--but I also have a 6 month old. My speakers would be on carpet this time which should help somewhat with spikes; but, I'm curious (for everyone, not just DonH50) about the stability of the Salon 2.
I also interested to hear what Don has to say. There is nothing like a low center of gravity, except maybe firmly attaching the speakers so they resist falling .

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
@Aja @DonH50
Was thinking about using S206 or M106 for side surrounds but the more I think about it, the more I’m thinking about F206 since they are front ported.
Maybe I can fashion some “lift feet/stand” to get them slightly higher.

Any thoughts?

Where’s @John Schuermann ?

·
Registered
12,757 Posts

I used Magnepans for decades before Revel. My kids were taught to stay away and did though a neighbor kid came close to running through one... For whatever reason I never had a problem, but memories of terror do tend to fade over time.

The Salon2's are big and heavy but pretty stable. I would not say they are "top-heavy" but it feels like the weight is fairly evenly distributed, probably because the cabinet is heavy and with three woofers the center of gravity is just a little below the midpoint. Total guess. Chances are the kids would be OK as long as they didn't punch out a driver and lead to parental infanticide. :)

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
@Aja @DonH50
Was thinking about using S206 or M106 for side surrounds but the more I think about it, the more I’m thinking about F206 since they are front ported.

Any thoughts?

John's been very busy with other things and has not been checking in much. He's still very much around! He had a get-together a week or two ago I had planned to attend but last-minute family stuff came up and I was tied up. :( Really wanted to meet the local crowd.

I wanted larger speakers with deeper bass for surrounds after my Magnepan MC-1's and little Mirage sats before. I really like the extra octave or so. My side F206's are on the floor near the couch and a little in front so line of sight is there. I have my rears on foam blocks to raise them about 4" to get the tweeters above the couch, but I have cinder (concrete) blocks to raise them about 8" when I have time to paint them (and may add a wood top for looks). Or I may built wooden risers, or something. I looked at low tables, shelves, stools, etc. on Amazon but never found something I really liked, and a decent monitor stand that would work was pushing $100 a pair to raise something as big and heavy as the F206's that much. There are some low amp stands that would work but since they target the audiophile market they are very pricey for what they are. I may slap together some two-by's and plywood, stain and finish it (or just paint it black), and call it done. Have to be stable and braced as I do not want vibration in the stand.

HTH - Don

Edit: The major disadvantage is now I wonder what it would be like with Salon2's or Studio2's as surrounds and rears; the bigger speakers are *&^*! addictive!

·
Registered
86 Posts
@Aja @DonH50

Any thoughts?

I seem to remember messages from others that were using F206's as surrounds. Hopefully one or more of them will reply. My interests include surround music, which I think would benefit from using F206 instead of M106 speakers. It might take a few years, but at some point I might try doing this.

I saw a message from someone that mentioned tilting their speakers so that they were aimed slightly upward instead of parallel to the floor. Or, as you mentioned, you could simply use a base to elevate the entire speaker.

I heard from John in late July. He said that he was "slammed with local business," but hoped to soon return to the Forum. Since he sells Revel and other gear and just hosted a customer appreciation day for his customers, I bet he is available by email or private messaging.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used Magnepans for decades before Revel. My kids were taught to stay away and did though a neighbor kid came close to running through one... For whatever reason I never had a problem, but memories of terror do tend to fade over time.

The Salon2's are big and heavy but pretty stable. I would not say they are "top-heavy" but it feels like the weight is fairly evenly distributed, probably because the cabinet is heavy and with three woofers the center of gravity is just a little below the midpoint. Total guess. Chances are the kids would be OK as long as they didn't punch out a driver and lead to parental infanticide. :)
I was so caught up in worrying about a speaker falling on a child that I forgot about a child punching out the driver, followed by parental action. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/AVSForum/icons/post_face_smile.png

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
I also considered the C206, but felt that the center channel sound is so critical, and that the C208 sufficiently enough better than the 206 that I went with the 208. You need to consider replacing the 206 right away. Even though the location is the family room, the center channel is so important that you might want to consider the Voice 2 from the Ultima line. A lesser solution that improves upon the 206 would be the 208 (including speaker stand). Let us know if you decide to upgrade your center channel. Good luck.
The C208 is 2x the cost of the C206, and since this is a little-used system I cheaped out. It's mainly for my wife to watch old movies (think B&W) and the occasional family get-together when folk will be talking more than listening. No way is a Voice2 going up there! If the kids were home, and I did not have the basement media room, so we used it much more I would have gone with the C208 to begin with.

That said, I did get a quote from John, and may revisit the C208 if business is good and our December bonus comes through.

What I really wanted was to upgrade the F206's in the basement to Salon2's or Studio2's (A/B-stock, supposedly last of the crowd) but the room is just a little too small to fit them. I could in the back, but not the sides where it matter more. :( But I am thinking of a couch swap that would gain side space so maybe...

·
Registered
8,990 Posts

I didn't mind so much if they got moved a bit, but its the not knowing that they were bumped a degree or so and then spending the next month or so trying to figure out what the hell happened to the soundstage.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
My side F206's are on the floor near the couch and a little in front so line of sight is there. I have my rears on foam blocks to raise them about 4" to get the tweeters above the couch, but I have cinder (concrete) blocks to raise them about 8" when I have time to paint them (and may add a wood top for looks). Or I may built wooden risers, or something. I looked at low tables, shelves, stools, etc. on Amazon but never found something I really liked, and a decent monitor stand that would work was pushing $100 a pair to raise something as big and heavy as the F206's that much. There are some low amp stands that would work but since they target the audiophile market they are very pricey for what they are. I may slap together some two-by's and plywood, stain and finish it (or just paint it black), and call it done. Have to be stable and braced as I do not want vibration in the stand.
Have you considered cinder blocks? You could stack a few, put a basic stabilizer in them and fill with sand or concrete. Then just wrap it with wood or drywall and paint or stain it for aesthetics. Cheap, stable, sturdy as hell and will not vibrate.

I did something similar to raise my inwall audio rack up. The blocks have basic rebar threaded through, I filled them with concrete and used gorilla glue (I’m messier with mortar than I’d like to admit) to keep the exterior lines clean. I used a 3/4” Baltic birch ply as a top plate and then I finished with drywal, tape and mud and painted the color of the room. It’s litteraly as solid as a rock and is holding over 500 lb’s without breaking a sweat.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Have you considered cinder blocks?.
I'm laughing a bit over here that you quoted a passage in which he said he's using cinder blocks right now. :)

Reactions: gsr
12921 - 12940 of 18853 Posts