AVS Forum banner

12941 - 12960 of 18851 Posts

·
Registered
12,756 Posts
Y'know, I been thinking on this, and maybe I'll give cinder blocks a try, thank you! :D

(Really tough to avoid inserting a "Charlie Brown, you blockhead!" joke here...)

Reactions: Bill-99

·
Registered
30,624 Posts
Various messages in the AVS Forum contributed to my eventual decision. I want to especially thank both Kal Rubinson and DonH50 for the information, interaction and help that they provided as I went about the process of determining what to purchase. Kal, your Music In The Round column in Stereophile has been very informative and continues to expand my knowledge of multichannel music options, recordings of interest, and various other hardware and software solutions. I am still catching up on some of the older articles and in general find them to be useful.
Thanks and I am hoping that my f228Be speakers arrive soon, too.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
My granddaughter once rode her tricycle into my Apogee Duetta.
Ouch!

I'm doing my best to teach my kids how to respect their things. So far, it's gone well. My son was the destroyer of all things until we started emphasizing taking care of his stuff. It's far from foolproof....but it's something!

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Kal are you buying a pair of f228be's or getting them in for review? Or both perhaps? I am curious as right now I have Persona 3f's and am always wondering if I made the best choice. I almost waited for the 228's but had heard the Persona's and loved them. But I am forever wondering. I guess I need to go listen to a pair of 228be's somewhere.

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
Kal are you buying a pair of f228be's or getting them in for review? Or both perhaps? I am curious as right now I have Persona 3f's and am always wondering if I made the best choice. I almost waited for the 228's but had heard the Persona's and loved them. But I am forever wondering. I guess I need to go listen to a pair of 228be's somewhere.

Ron

Is your use primarily music or HT? From what I've been told, the differrence is more pronounced for music and subtle for HT.

edit: whoops - I read Performa, not Persona.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Is your use primarily music or HT? From what I've been told, the differrence is more pronounced for music and subtle for HT.
50/50 music/HT but music is where I want it to sound best. If it sounds good for music then in my opinion it should sound good for HT. Right now it is difficult as I am running without a preamp or processor. I am feeding my ATI 528 with my Oppo 205. And I have done this as a stop-gap before with a 105. It is definitely not the best solution but I am waiting for the perfect processor to come out. One that satisfies all MY sticky points. So right now my music and mostly ht is not sounding ideal. There is not enough drive from the Oppo or in this case maybe too much drive. I get the Oppo to 47 out of 100 and it is approaching to loud. So it sounds flat.

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
50/50 music/HT but music is where I want it to sound best. If it sounds good for music then in my opinion it should sound good for HT. Right now it is difficult as I am running without a preamp or processor. I am feeding my ATI 528 with my Oppo 205. And I have done this as a stop-gap before with a 105. It is definitely not the best solution but I am waiting for the perfect processor to come out. One that satisfies all MY sticky points. So right now my music and mostly ht is not sounding ideal. There is not enough drive from the Oppo or in this case maybe too much drive. I get the Oppo to 47 out of 100 and it is approaching to loud. So it sounds flat.

Ron
I hear you on the perfect processor. I think the best i’ve had was the Anthem D2v3d....but unfortunately Anthem doesn’t yet have an D3v. Right now i just put in a 8805, and am pretty pleased with it

·
Registered
12,756 Posts
90 degrees plays a part in it but not quite
It was a joke, an angle that is 90 degrees from everything is imaginary. One of my profs made it during the optical physics course, probably all I remembered. (OK, so I do remember Brewster's Angle, but not a whole lot else, though learned a lot about VCSELs some years back whilst designing a driver for them.)

On-topic: Be great to see Kal's review of the F228Be's! We may supplant those B&W's yet! :) (Yah, right...)

Pseudo on-topic: I really like Dirac Live in my Emo XMC-1 but not the delay and now hassles with the 4K video board. I was looking at Lexicon (rebadged and upgraded Arcam) but turns out it does not have independent crossover settings for fronts and center/surrounds/rears, quite vexing since I am not really prepared to stick Salon2's everywhere, at least not until my lottery numbers hit it big.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Ron,

Have you looked at the measurements of the Persona 3F vs the Revel F228Be? Not sure if it matters to you, but the Persona does not look nearly as flat as Revel.

The Persona 3F’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +4.83/–2.12 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

Wow, that's a 7 dB swing. And I'm not sure what's happening with the high end rise above 5kHz. https://www.soundandvision.com/content/paradigm-persona-3f-speaker-system-review-test-bench

If neutrality is something that interests you, I highly suggest listening to the Revel F228Be.

I'm curious to know what's on your ideal preamp/processor list because I'm looking for one too. I don't want to go off topic in this thread, PM me if you want or start a new post in the processors thread.

I moved my old but still excellent Bryston SP2 to our bedroom system. Need a new processor for the main system.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I know about the Persona measurements but it still makes no sense to me when what they claim is a +-2db from I believe 50hz-20khz. And this would be at their own test facility. It just makes no sense. And I loved the way they sounded when I heard them.

Still think I should just try the Revels

Ron

·
Registered
30,624 Posts
Kal are you buying a pair of f228be's or getting them in for review? Or both perhaps?
For review, at least, as of now.

I am curious as right now I have Persona 3f's and am always wondering if I made the best choice. I almost waited for the 228's but had heard the Persona's and loved them. But I am forever wondering. I guess I need to go listen to a pair of 228be's somewhere.
Ha. I just finished a review of the Persona 5f.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
It was a joke, an angle that is 90 degrees from everything is imaginary. One of my profs made it during the optical physics course, probably all I remembered. (OK, so I do remember Brewster's Angle, but not a whole lot else, though learned a lot about VCSELs some years back whilst designing a driver for them.)

On-topic: Be great to see Kal's review of the F228Be's! We may supplant those B&W's yet! :) (Yah, right...)

Pseudo on-topic: I really like Dirac Live in my Emo XMC-1 but not the delay and now hassles with the 4K video board. I was looking at Lexicon (rebadged and upgraded Arcam) but turns out it does not have independent crossover settings for fronts and center/surrounds/rears, quite vexing since I am not really prepared to stick Salon2's everywhere, at least not until my lottery numbers hit it big.
I read Kal's column every other month religiously, but I cannot fathom why JA doesn't do measurements on the gear he reviews.
That said, Kal's reviews are thorough, carefully crafted and consistently one the best things in Stereophile especially the range of gear he reviews.

12941 - 12960 of 18851 Posts