AVS Forum banner

15541 - 15560 of 18737 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any Revel owners from Bay Area here?

My speaker selection is narrowed down to four: KEF LS50 bookshelf, Paradigm 75F/85F floorstander, Ascend tower - or Revel Performa F208.

Would love to chat to someone who's owned Revels for a while.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,777 Posts

My speaker selection is narrowed down to four: KEF LS50 bookshelf, Paradigm 75F/85F floorstander, Ascend tower - or Revel Performa F208.

That's quite a drastic difference in capability between the Kef's and the Revel F208's. Like a really nice slingshot compared to a tank. :confused:

How about the Revel F206 as well?

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's quite a drastic difference in capability between the Kef's and the Revel F208's. Like a really nice slingshot compared to a tank. :confused:

How about the Revel F206 as well?
You're right, quite the range!

There's a furniture piece in the room, that is part of the equation (WAF) - large hipster driftwood shelf.

Furni stays = bookshelf speaker, and the only one we both liked was KEF.

Furni moved to other room = we got space for floorstanders (as above).

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,777 Posts
You're rifght, quite the range!

There's a furniture piece in the room, that is part of the equation (WAF) - large hipster driftwood shelf.

Furni stays = bookshelf speaker, and the only one we both liked was KEF.

Furni moved to other room = we got space for floorstanders (as above).
What subs will you be using? Depending on volume, the KEF's should do really well with a good pair of subs. The towers will undoubtedly outperform with spirited listening as most speakers start to distort most below 200 Hz. Only so much itty bitty 5 or 6" drivers can do with bass.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What subs will you be using? Depending on volume, the KEF's should do really well with a good pair of subs. The towers will undoubtedly outperform with spirited listening as most speakers start to distort most below 200 Hz. Only so much itty bitty 5 or 6" drivers can do with bass.
Subs - if it's KEF, I will select subs to match, at later stage.

Bigger question is what we do with furni piece - which in turn is impacted by decision around best possible speaker in our space.

F208s - heard these in two demo rooms - same speakers, same music - sounded very, very different.
Note decay was key difference.

Keen to hear from owners how F208s behave wrt note decay, depending on room size and other variables.

And, with any local owners in Bay Area - would love to hear the speakers in their space.

(a gracious guest, I usually arrive with beer or wine)

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Subs - if it's KEF, I will select subs to match, at later stage.

Bigger question is what we do with furni piece - which in turn is impacted by decision around best possible speaker in our space.

F208s - heard these in two demo rooms - same speakers, same music - sounded very, very different.
Note decay was key difference.

Keen to hear from owners how F208s behave wrt note decay, depending on room size and other variables.

And, with any local owners in Bay Area - would love to hear the speakers in their space.

(a gracious guest, I usually arrive with beer or wine)
The more I hear about how much demos vary in sound quality, the more I buy into Floyd Toole's belief that in person demos are a very unreliable way of buying speakers. The right measurements are a more accurate indicator of a speakers sound quality...and the better speaker will sound better no matter which room it is in. In person demos are plagued with too many variables and inconsistencies to be an effective way of choosing the right speaker. Show me the measurements, and I'll choose my speakers based on size, cost, extension, and output capability sight unseen. Measurements don't lie....subjective in person demos do.

Although subs will be pretty much mandatory with the Kefs, they will greatly improve sound quality regardless what size or type of speaker you get. Although eq below 300 Hz or so will typically help things greatly, dual subs placed properly are necessary in most cases for a smooth response below 100 Hz.

However, if you(not you specifically, anyone) is not willing to place subs optimally, i.e. you plan to place them symmetrically on the front stage, you might be just as well off getting towers and foregoing subs unless movies are a priority.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm going to New York City this morning, less than 15 blocks from the Harman store. I will do my best to convince the wife to check it out if we have time!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kal, you last reviewed the Studio2 in 2008. The Salon2 is long off the list due to age. Why is Studio2 still on the Recommended Components list? Can you please have Stereophile kick the Studio2 off the list so Harman will be motivated to make an Ultima3?

Harman, please rename it to Revel by Samsung so they will be motivated to make an Ultima3 to hint at how awesome Samsung's other audio products are. Also fix the off axis dip around 2khz...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Also fix the off axis dip around 2khz...
The off-axis dip is caused by the fact that vertical dispersion is also taken into account in the spinorama format. It is not present in the horizontal off-axis measurements which are of greater importance. Any vertically oriented multi-way loudspeaker system will feature crossover cancellation under certain angles.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Any vertically oriented multi-way loudspeaker system will feature crossover cancellation under certain angles.
There's no such off-axis dip apparent in the Revel F228be's spins. Not saying that's necessarily a better speaker overall, but at least this issue in the ear's most sensitive region appears addressable.

·
Registered
626 Posts
There's no such off-axis dip apparent in the Revel F228be's spins. Not saying that's necessarily a better speaker overall, but at least this issue in the ear's most sensitive region appears addressable.
I'll leave it to one of the designers or other Harman employees to comment on how it does not feature such a dip as there is ALWAYS a cancellation axis between two vertical mounted loudspeaker drive units, so it should show up in a measurement average such as the first reflections curve. The Salon2 still beats the 228Be in their blind auditions in any case.

·
Registered
205 Posts

I'll be getting my Revel setup going in a few weeks hopefully (finishing remodel). I will update with my experience afterwards.

·
Registered
540 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I got one recently and was shocked by the size and weight. I had to unpack it by myself and lift it a few times to get it positioned the way I wanted it, played with the tilt etc. Great workout, lol.

Speaking of that, are you talking about vertical tilt? The reason I ask is that my ear level when seated on my sofa is pretty low, and my seating position is only about 10.5 feet from the speakers. I've always wondered if that would be a problem with speakers on which the tweeter is going to be 6-12 inches higher than my ear level, as would be the case with F228be, F208, or Salon 2. Would I need to tilt the speakers forward a bit for optimal HF sounds?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
12 inches down from 10 feet away is only 5-6 degrees off axis. I personally wouldn't bother.

Good to hear, but I'd still be interested to know why Rex "played with the tilt" and what the results were.

15541 - 15560 of 18737 Posts