AVS Forum banner

17081 - 17100 of 18541 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Revel could make the salon 2 better by making them an easier load.

Reactions: Bill-99

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Revel could make the salon 2 better by making them an easier load.
Someone mentioned making them active speakers, too, which was a pretty interesting idea. It's a given that adding amplification won't help the price. OTOH who better than the manufacturer to pair the amp they like with the speaker they make.

Reactions: 340z

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Yes, ideally I’d like to have the surrounds a bit behind me, but with my future room, it would entail putting the right surround speaker near the island in the kitchen (see photo). The right side wall is only 9’ long. I’ll have an 85” TV on the wall and thinking F206’s will be about 8 feet apart (that gives me about 10 inches from the TV edge to the speaker edge) and a couple of feet out from the wall. If I sit 8 feet back from the speakers, that’s 10 feet from the wall and TV. I don’t think I could sit any closer, correct?

If my plan doesn’t work, I can pull the right surround speaker back just behind me near the kitchen island when using it and then move it back next to the wall when I’m not. That could be annoying, so, I hope original plan works!

What about using a pair of C763L in ceiling for rear surrounds? They would be above your head, aimed at the MLP and can be placed optimally. With subs and if you don't play extremely loud, they should handle all but the most demanding rear surround material. https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Currently have an Infinity Reference setup which I'm really happy with but I'm looking to move up to towers and the F206 is the frontrunner at the moment. Usage is roughly 65% music and 35% movies. I'd like the matching C208 center but it's simply too big for it to work in my living room setup and I'm concerned that the 5.25" two way C205 may be slightly undersized for my room. My current center is the Infinity Reference RC263, which is a three way with two 6.5" woofers and a 4" midrange that's been great and just barely fits behind the acoustic screen in my entertainment center. Does anyone have any thoughts on pairing the F206s with the Infinity center? I know it's not ideal for timbre matching but I'm wondering if it may be serviceable given that it's still a Harman design and according to some reminds them of Revel's product lines. I'm not doing anything like 5.1 music where the lack of timbre matching would likely be immediately noticeable. Really wish Revel had a proper 3 way center with 6.5" woofers that slotted in between the C205 and C208 but I realize having three centers in a product line may be a bit excessive

On a related note, if anyone is looking to unload their F206s (preferably in white) or knows of a dealer with B stock or who is really looking to cut a deal feel free to shoot me a PM :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Currently have an Infinity Reference setup which I'm really happy with but I'm looking to move up to towers and the F206 is the frontrunner at the moment. Usage is roughly 65% music and 35% movies. I'd like the matching C208 center but it's simply too big for it to work in my living room setup and I'm concerned that the 5.25" two way C205 may be slightly undersized for my room. My current center is the Infinity Reference RC263, which is a three way with two 6.5" woofers and a 4" midrange that's been great and just barely fits behind the acoustic screen in my entertainment center. Does anyone have any thoughts on pairing the F206s with the Infinity center? I know it's not ideal for timbre matching but I'm wondering if it may be serviceable given that it's still a Harman design and according to some reminds them of Revel's product lines. I'm not doing anything like 5.1 music where the lack of timbre matching would likely be immediately noticeable. Really wish Revel had a proper 3 way center with 6.5" woofers that slotted in between the C205 and C208 but I realize having three centers in a product line may be a bit excessive

On a related note, if anyone is looking to unload their F206s (preferably in white) or knows of a dealer with B stock or who is really looking to cut a deal feel free to shoot me a PM :)
I had the RC263 for a while and it blended perfectly with my M16s. I bet it will be more than fine with F206s.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hope this is OK - want to give a shout out to Audio Video Logic in Des Moines and to their Revel Rep. I was interested in the FE226BE which would have been by far the most expensive stereo purchase of my long life. This newer model is not yet fully stocked and it would have been months to wait for them. The Revel Rep offered the bigger, awards hog FE228BE at an unbelievable price and of course I took it. I don't want to go into too many details as Revel probably could not afford to do this for everyone but this 64 year old is forever grateful that I was one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Hope this is OK - want to give a shout out to Audio Video Logic in Des Moines and to their Revel Rep. I was interested in the FE226BE which would have been by far the most expensive stereo purchase of my long life. This newer model is not yet fully stocked and it would have been months to wait for them. The Revel Rep offered the bigger, awards hog FE228BE at an unbelievable price and of course I took it. I don't want to go into too many details as Revel probably could not afford to do this for everyone but this 64 year old is forever grateful that I was one of the lucky ones.

30% off I’m guessing? Nice.

Revel can definitely afford to give everyone this discount fwiw.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
280 Posts
What about using a pair of C763L in ceiling for rear surrounds? They would be above your head, aimed at the MLP and can be placed optimally. With subs and if you don't play extremely loud, they should handle all but the most demanding rear surround material. https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html
I was thinking about that, but that would put the surrounds in my 5.2.4 system at the same height as the Atmos speakers. I guess it’s a decision on what sacrifice to accept: 1). Put the surrounds at the correct depth, but incorrect height by putting them in the ceiling or 2). Put them at the correct height, but incorrect depth just a bit in front of the listening position just above ear level.

Another option I considered was skipping an Atmos setup and do a 5.2 or 7.2 system where I would put all the surround and rear speakers in the ceiling. I know Atmos is somewhat in its infancy, but I’m thinking in a few years I’ll be happy to have the 5.2.4 setup for not only Atmos, but also as DTS:X grows in popularity.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I think Dr. Toole was referring to side surrounds as in a 7.1 configuration. I have heard other folks say they liked side surrounds slightly in front as opposed to at 90 degrees. If using a 5.1 configuration, I think it's best to go at 90 degrees or behind your head if possible. Of course not every room accommodates ideal placement. I'd have 9.4.4 if my room (and budget) would allow it, lol.

I have had surrounds both ways (different speakers, different houses). I did like them elevated and angled down (previous house). I did some serious listening last night and worked on toe in. Made a noticeable improvement. I may experiment with raising them up some, but like what I'm hearing now for music, need to spend more time with movies. After adjusting toe in and spending time with different upmix options in my Lexicon MC-10, I decided to just settle on one and enjoy the music. I tend to obsess on technical details and forget about the whole point of all of this.....
Rex, could you share a few specifics on which speakers you adjusted and how they are aimed now? There are probably at least a couple of us that would like to leverage what you found has worked well.

My surround channels (M106) are at about 110 degrees aimed at the MLP. On the Revel M stands, that puts the tweeter of the M106 at about 36" so a lot of sound sprays the back of my couch rather than listeners ears. That has me thinking about raising them to get closer to the tweeter height on the fronts (F208) at 43". What height, angle and aiming is working well for you?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was thinking about that, but that would put the surrounds in my 5.2.4 system at the same height as the Atmos speakers. I guess it’s a decision on what sacrifice to accept: 1). Put the surrounds at the correct depth, but incorrect height by putting them in the ceiling or 2). Put them at the correct height, but incorrect depth just a bit in front of the listening position just above ear level.

Another option I considered was skipping an Atmos setup and do a 5.2 or 7.2 system where I would put all the surround and rear speakers in the ceiling. I know Atmos is somewhat in its infancy, but I’m thinking in a few years I’ll be happy to have the 5.2.4 setup for not only Atmos, but also as DTS:X grows in popularity.

That was my dilemma. My local store with the JBL Synthesis theater recommended a 5.2.2 system with 2 c763l's for front Atmos and 2 c763l's for surround. In the end, I chose f206's as surrounds so that I could have 4 Atmos speakers while keeping the base 5 speakers at ear level.

Reactions: Quattro and 340z

·
Premium Member
4,846 Posts

If you had to put surrounds in ceiling I think I would do 5.x.2

This way you can distance separation even if on the same plane.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Rex, could you share a few specifics on which speakers you adjusted and how they are aimed now? There are probably at least a couple of us that would like to leverage what you found has worked well. My surround channels (M106) are at about 110 degrees aimed at the MLP. On the Revel M stands, that puts the tweeter of the M106 at about 36" so a lot of sound sprays the back of my couch rather than listeners ears. That has me thinking about raising them to get closer to the tweeter height on the fronts (F208) at 43". What height, angle and aiming is working well for you?

I will post my setup and pics when I have more time.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Someone mentioned making them active speakers, too, which was a pretty interesting idea. It's a given that adding amplification won't help the price. OTOH who better than the manufacturer to pair the amp they like with the speaker they make.
Won't make them easier to move, either...
:)

Reactions: Bill-99

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Really? well it is the revel forum. all together now hip hip hooray salon 2's the best weeeee.:)
Yes Steven, it is the Revel Owners Thread.
Do you own Revel speakers or are currently in the market for them?

Look no one looks down on you or cares what speaker you bought.
Members here gave you a lot of support with your issues.

Also a fact that I do not remember anyone having the issue(s) that you had.
So Salon2s didn't work out for you.
Good thing there are a ton of other companies & you could find a speaker that satisfied you.
Why come back and mock satisfied owners & people asking honest questions & expressing honest opinions?

I've never had the feeling that this thread claims anything but they're satisfaction without disdain.
We've had the invaluable contributions of Dr. Toole.
No one ever mentions this but along with other Harman International employees, they've never been driven off the forum.
Says everything to me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Revel C25 vs C205

I am in the process of auditioning speakers at a couple dealers in my vicinity. There is a good chance that I will purchase the Revel F206's. I would like to purchase a Revel center speaker at the same time in order to replace the my entire HT front speakers. I have researched the C25 and the C205. Other than the C205 being 8 ohms (vs 6) and having a slightly larger cabinet, there does not seem to be a lot of difference between the two on paper.

I would like to hear from anyone that has heard them both and can offer any insight into whether the more expensive C205 provides a clearly better listening experience for the added cost. (I use my system for 60/40 music/movies and do listen to multi-channel music at times, so the center channel is also important for music in my system.)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I am in the process of auditioning speakers at a couple dealers in my vicinity. There is a good chance that I will purchase the Revel F206's. I would like to purchase a Revel center speaker at the same time in order to replace the my entire HT front speakers. I have researched the C25 and the C205. Other than the C205 being 8 ohms (vs 6) and having a slightly larger cabinet, there does not seem to be a lot of difference between the two on paper. I would like to hear from anyone that has heard them both and can offer any insight into whether the more expensive C205 provides a clearly better listening experience for the added cost. (I use my system for 60/40 music/movies and do listen to multi-channel music at times, so the center channel is also important for music in my system.)
Every step up the ladder is audible to me. I would try to stay with all Performa 3 series if budget allows.

C25 is 20 lbs, C205 is 26 pounds. Some of the extra weight may be cabinet and some is certainly heavier drivers (bigger motor structures).

17081 - 17100 of 18541 Posts