AVS Forum banner

17981 - 18000 of 18589 Posts

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,500 Posts
Just circling back around to this... I think I found the model number of these mounts. They look to be "OmniMount Model 30.0 WB-IFK" in black or white. Now I just need to figure out how you did that slick bottom plate to attach it all :)

Thanks again for sharing this. I don't have the 126's at this time, but just planning ahead in case I go that route.
The AZEK adapter has counter-sinked bolts that attach the base to the OmniMount.

- Rich

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,500 Posts
I’m supposed to be getting the ATI 4002 soon so I’m hoping it’ll be a good match with the Revel.
It is. ;)

- Rich

·
Registered
787 Posts
Audioholics did a three part series on the topic of speaker directivity, which I found to be very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItHs0nPm6U

Interesting watch, particularly for those trying to decide between the f206/f208 and JBL HDI 3600/3800.

I went with Revel because the f226be seems to be a huge upgrade for a small price and I felt like the c763l was the best option for Atmos and I didn't want to mix tweeter designs.

I was just watching this video last night myself... good info and looking forward to part 2 & 3.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Took delivery of the F228Be. It sounds a little different at home vs the dealer. I think using my PB16 in sealed mode widens the soundstage.

It’s an enjoyable speaker just like the F208. Well I always wanted a speaker with beryllium tweeters so I got that. Will have to listen for a week or two before drawing any conclusions.

Definitely looking forward to hearing your impressions between the two. Others have compared the two and thought it was a definite upgrade.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,500 Posts
The Azek board looks very polished in your pic. I am assuming you cut it down to size, drilled the pilot holes, etc?
Yes, the adapter board was hand-made, sanded, and painted with 3 coats of gloss Rust-Oleum.

This is just one-way. I believe Dr. Toole has a metal worker make customer mounts.
I have not found any mechanical specifications from Revel to simply wall mounting of bookshelf or center channel speakers.

- Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Took delivery of the F228Be. It sounds a little different at home vs the dealer. I think using my PB16 in sealed mode widens the soundstage.

It’️s an enjoyable speaker just like the F208. Well I always wanted a speaker with beryllium tweeters so I got that. Will have to listen for a week or two before drawing any conclusions.

Definitely looking forward to hearing your impressions between the two. Others have compared the two and thought it was a definite upgrade.
It took me a little bit to warm up to the F228Be and I still think it’s ridiculous that Revel doubled the msrp for driver and crossover changes in a cabinet that’s designed the same and is actually smaller than the F208. If they made the F228Be’s cabinet 20” deep and gave it a serious increase in dynamic capabilities then I think it would be more justifiable. That type of cabinet is expensive to manufacture with the tooling and what not and the laws of physics don’t lie.

Having said that, the F228Be combined with the new 4002 the sound is nothing short of excellent. Whatever Revel did despite all the cost cutting measures they took, when I close my eyes, it’s the best my system has ever sounded.

I used to have an Emotiva amp that I sold that I paired with the F208 so maybe getting an amp and speaker upgrade made things more magical. I feel like I finally arrived and the music sounds as good as what I experience in the “big room” at the audio stores.

Having said that, if I would have done it all over again, I would have tried the amp upgrade first to see if that would have been enough. But it’s too late lol. I’m “stuck” with this system and I’m ok with that. The F208 is a fantastic speaker and I think the law of diminishing returns really take a turn south after the F208’s price point.

So I was never unhappy with the F208, quite the opposite. But I think the beryllium tweeters and the driver updates give it just that small boost in detail that makes the music listening experience just a little more satisfying. So if that’s worth it to you then obviously it’s worth upgrading, otherwise maybe waiting for the performa4 might be a good option (if they don’t cheap out and cut costs even more).

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
The 4002 is a quality amp and agree that it’s a great match with the Revels. I highly recommend it.
I currently use an ATI AT4003 with my F208's and C208. I had previously driven the F208s with a Bryston 3B SST2. The ATI 4003 is certainly one of the best built and best sounding amps I have used, easily as good as the Brystons (4B and 3B) I have owned and used for many years and less expensive than the current Bryston offerings.

Many people say amps don't make a big difference, but my experiences many years ago as a recording engineer led me to use higher quality amps. My first comparison was with a Bryston 4B NRB vs a Hafler P9505. The Bryston was a clear winner to my ears. I used Yamaha NS-10's (like many recording studio guys during that era) and when I paired a Bryston amp with them, they sounded like entirely different speakers, still not great, lol, but much better than they had ever sounded before.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,500 Posts
Hello All,
There is visual confusion when trying to evaluate the listening window curve that lies on top of the much less valuable on-axis curve. Therefore, I have attached the F228Be Listening Window curve by itself, which is extremely good. I have also attached the Performa F208 Listening Window along with the Performa F228Be listening window, allowing a much easier visual comparison. As our research has long indicated, the listening window is a far better indicator of direct sound quality than is any on-axis curve. On-axis curves measured from just slightly different microphone locations will yield different results at high frequencies due to trivial local diffraction, making them misleading. The listening window greatly mitigates this problem.

Please note that these curves are not just a new format, but have been made with an entirely new measurement system, using the Klippel Analyzer, along with an updated anechoic chamber LF calibration. Therefore, these updated measurements, done with the same system, allow for valid comparisons. It is clear from these curves that the LF amplitude response is the same for both the F208 and F228Be. (Thank you to Mark Glazer for late Friday night work on these!)

As has been noted, the F228Be directivity curves are just sensational, which has been proven to be critically important in countless double-blind listening tests, and in the field. Harman researcher's work on the importance of first reflections--especially the side walls--proved that the speaker's output that contributes to these critical first reflections is as important as the direct sound. The radiation of the F228Be that contributes this reflected output matches that of the listening window extremely well, enhancing both the remarkably uncolored sound quality of the F228Be, and also results in the seamlessness of the transition from the midrange to the tweeter that is rarely found with any speaker, regardless of price. That seamlessness is a big part of making music sound real, rather than sounding like a mechanical facsimile. I have never heard a multi-driver speaker that achieves seamlessness without a properly designed waveguide.

Best regards,
Kevin
These measurements are using the Klippel analyzer and the bass response falls off, short of the specifications.
Here are the F208 LFE specifications are:

Low Frequency Extension [email protected], [email protected] Hz, [email protected]

The attached measurements look to be -3 dB @ 45 Hz.

Is this Klippel accurate a lower frequencies?

- Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
The 4002 is a quality amp and agree that it’️s a great match with the Revels. I highly recommend it.
I currently use an ATI AT4003 with my F208's and C208. I had previously driven the F208s with a Bryston 3B SST2. The ATI 4003 is certainly one of the best built and best sounding amps I have used, easily as good as the Brystons (4B and 3B) I have owned and used for many years and less expensive than the current Bryston offerings.

Many people say amps don't make a big difference, but my experiences many years ago as a recording engineer led me to use higher quality amps. My first comparison was with a Bryston 4B NRB vs a Hafler P9505. The Bryston was a clear winner to my ears. I used Yamaha NS-10's (like many recording studio guys during that era) and when I paired a Bryston amp with them, they sounded like entirely different speakers, still not great, lol, but much better than they had ever sounded before.
I would say that I wholeheartedly agree with you . I don’t know if it’s because the ATI 4000 amps are fully balanced or if it’s just designed so well by Morris but it makes my system sound crystal clear.

I did a a/b with the F228Be and F208 before I sold the F208 and I did notice that the F228Be had a little more detail and it was a touch more dynamic and maybe a little more effortless at high volumes. All these minor improvements add up I guess. It really depends on what that means to someone. Double the MSRP. Obviously it was worth it for me despite all my complaining- the amp plus beryllium tweeters = some sweet sounding music. Even without the beryllium tweeters on the F208, it generates some sweet sounding music as well. I’m not knocking my old F208 - they are worth every penny.

I almost wish I got the 4007 so more of my speakers can experience the awesomeness of the ATI but they are lower quality so they really don’t deserve it. I’m good with powering my surrounds with lesser amps (9.2.4) for now.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I would say that I wholeheartedly agree with you . I don’t know if it’s because the ATI 4000 amps are fully balanced or if it’s just designed so well by Morris but it makes my system sound crystal clear.

I did a a/b with the F228Be and F208 before I sold the F208 and I did notice that the F228Be had a little more detail and it was a touch more dynamic and maybe a little more effortless at high volumes. All these minor improvements add up I guess. It really depends on what that means to someone. Double the MSRP. Obviously it was worth it for me despite all my complaining- the amp plus beryllium tweeters = some sweet sounding music. Even without the beryllium tweeters on the F208, it generates some sweet sounding music as well. I’m not knocking my old F208 - they are worth every penny.

I almost wish I got the 4007 so more of my speakers can experience the awesomeness of the ATI but they are lower quality so they really don’t deserve it. I’m good with powering my surrounds with lesser amps (9.2.4) for now.
Very good description of the F228Be vs the F208. Kevin Voecks says these are the differences music lovers and audiophiles live for. You might also notice a bit less fatigue due to lower distortion if you listen at higher volume levels for extended periods of time.

You can always use ATI Hypex NCore Class D amps for the surrounds. Good value, same build quality.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Very good description of the F228Be vs the F208. Kevin Voecks says these are the differences music lovers and audiophiles live for. You might also notice a bit less fatigue due to lower distortion if you listen at higher volume levels for extended periods of time.

You can always use ATI Hypex NCore Class D amps for the surrounds. Good value, same build quality.
Yes I experience no fatigue and it’s very easy on my ears. The F208 had pretty low fatigue as well but I can tell it’s a little more comfortable to listen at loud levels for an extended period of time. This experience is similar to my buddy’s salons so that’s the advantage of the beryllium.

The micro and macro dynamics are startling. Listening to Norah Jones Come Away with me album. Her voice is so dynamic and the F228Be captures the dynamics so effortlessly. Adele also sounds better than ever. The female vocals are very detailed yet not harsh.

This was a nice audio upgrade. I’m warming up to the F228Be more and more. Going on 2+ hours of listening and going... 🙂

The ATI certainly has also made a huge impact. I was on the fence of getting the 6002 but this is more than enough power for me.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Yes I experience no fatigue and it’s very easy on my ears. The F208 had pretty low fatigue as well but I can tell it’s a little more comfortable to listen at loud levels for an extended period of time. This experience is similar to my buddy’s salons so that’s the advantage of the beryllium.

The micro and macro dynamics are startling. Listening to Norah Jones Come Away with me album. Her voice is so dynamic and the F228Be captures the dynamics so effortlessly. Adele also sounds better than ever. The female vocals are very detailed yet not harsh.

This was a nice audio upgrade. I’m warming up to the F228Be more and more. Going on 2+ hours of listening and going... 🙂

The ATI certainly has also made a huge impact. I was on the fence of getting the 6002 but this is more than enough power for me.

If I push my AT4003 to clipping, I sure don't want to listen at that level for more than long enough to see when the clip lights start to flicker, lol.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If I push my AT4003 to clipping, I sure don't want to listen at that level for more than long enough to see when the clip lights start to flicker, lol.
I got to -13 -14 on my XMC2 but that was way too loud to sustain. I think it safe to say with the performa3 or performaBe the ATI 4000 series is more than plenty powerful enough.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi guys, do you think it’s ok to use the W990 as LCR in a smaller HT. I’ve build an HT in my attic with an AT screen so I would like to put my speakers behind the screen. I am thinking to go for the W990 or the Triad Inwall silver LCR. This will be a blind buy so I would like your advice, if possible on both speakers....

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I've seen pictures of those stands in peoples setups...the website photos don't do them justice. They look fantastic in the owners photos I've seen.
A quick follow up...

After struggling with the stability of the Revel M stands, I picked up the Monoprice Monolith speaker stands previously mentioned. Fit and finish are in the 'good' rather than 'exceptional' category but the difference in stability is huge. Each stand was mass-loaded with about 22 pounds of BBs. Then the speakers were mounted using Blu Tac. For the first time since getting my M106's they are now stable on their stands.

The Revel M stands are nicely finished and being able to bolt the M106's to the stands was great, but in my carpeted family room they were never stable. YMMV but if it doesn't, this is a viable option.

Reactions: blSwagger

·
Registered
36 Posts
Front and rear height speakers

Hello
I am hoping for some advice.
I have a 7.2 system made entirely of Revel Performa 3 speakers. F208, c208, m106, s206 , and 2 svs subs.
I am thinking of adding 4 height speakers ( 2 front and 2 rear heights). I don't want to put holes in my ceiling, but I can put them high on my front and back wall. I am looking at angled speakers like the svs prime elevations, or Canton AR 800. I looked at Revels website and I don't see that they make any angled speakers. I would like to stay with Revels to match my current speakers. Does Revel Make an angled speaker? If not, is there a bracket that will fit a Revel M106 or M105 that can be placed on a wall, and angled down? If not, then which speakers do you recommend?
Thank you so much for you suggestions.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi guys, do you think it’s ok to use the W990 as LCR in a smaller HT. I’ve build an HT in my attic with an AT screen so I would like to put my speakers behind the screen. I am thinking to go for the W990 or the Triad Inwall silver LCR. This will be a blind buy so I would like your advice, if possible on both speakers....
I have not heard the Triad, but see they are an MTM design and the tweeter doesn't have a waveguide. Specs don't say if it is a two or three way speaker.

The Revel W990 is their top of the line three way in wall speaker. It is very well designed and sounds great. https://www.revelspeakers.com/products/types/in-wall/W990-.html

Here are W990 specs:

9” Micro-Ceramic Composite (MCC) Cone, Cast-Aluminum Frame High-Output Woofer
• 1” aluminum dome high-output tweeter with waveguide
• HF level & tilt controls
• LF boundary compensation, & listener axis controls
• Advanced high-order crossover network
• Cast aluminum baffle with multi-point spring loaded clamping mechanism
• Mounting depth: 3.7” (9.4 cm)
• Weight: 17.0 lb (7.7 kg) / Shipping weight: 19.4 lb (8.8 kg)
• Cutout dimensions (H x W): 19.1” x 12.5” (48.6 cm x 31.8 cm)
• Includes zero-bezel magnetic grille
• Grille finished dimension (H x W): 20.6” x 13.9” (52.3 cm x 35.3 cm)
• Nominal impedance: 8 ohms
• Recommended amplifier power range: 10- 200 watts
• Sensitivity (2.83V/1m): 89 dB
• Frequency Range -3 dB from 32Hz-28kHz; -10dB from 23-35kHz

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would recommend anybody struggling with the quality of sound coming from their revel speakers to visit your dealer and try to demo a floor model. When I was considering the f208 (against the f32) the salesman told me then the better the power the better the sound with revel speakers. In my limited experience I agree. I don't want to be a dick but emotiva is a budget product so why buy a premium speaker to go with it? I sold my A21 to an emotiva owner and he couldn't believe the improvement, thats how I felt when I upgraded from the a21.

I made my $22k speaker sound worse than my $4k speaker because I wanted to believe them when they said all amps rated the same sound the same.

17981 - 18000 of 18589 Posts