AVS Forum banner

18201 - 18220 of 18586 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I absolutely agree that the more expensive the speaker (in general, not just Revel) the better the components, and ergo the sound. However, I only want to pay for the sound quality, not the aesthetics. Revel makes an absolutely stunning floorstanding speaker above the Concerta2 line and the price reflects that. If I could get an ugly Performa or even Ultima speaker for example without paying for the 'beauty tax' for a lack of a better word, I would absolutely do that.

Does that make sense?
About that beauty tax...

Have you considered Revel b-stock? These are functionally perfect with some blemish but at a significant discount. Ask Rex about this. You may be surprised.

The other angle is to buy used where the probability of better price because of a few dings goes up.

Both of these approaches can take a while but the wait can pay big sonic dividends.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I also bow down as the 228s are my main speakers! And I like to listen to them quite loud and the ATI 4002 puts out incredibly clean power beyond my the threshold of what my ears can take. It’️s definitely a match made in heaven for me as well.

The only thing that bothers me is that I keep thinking should I have gotten the 6002 🙂.
What stopped me from a 6005 is not the extra cash, is it the weight. At my advanced age (56) these 100 pound plus amps are just too heavy to move up and down the stairs anymore. For this reason, I almost pulled the trigger on the ATI class D amp to shed some weight.

I am proud to say the 228's are my main speakers. My Dali Rubicon 2's are in my second TV room and are excellent bookshelf speaker very musical indeed.
Realistically, I think the 4000 series is more than enough to drive the F228Be. I heard the combination at my local dealer before pulling the trigger. I think they sound great as well - looks ok.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I posted about them quite a while ago. They are all new class AB amps with lower prices than the AT4000 and AT 6000 series.

I'll have to ask when they might be available and if I can post MSRP.

AT1602 - 160 watt x 2 channels
AT1603 - 160 watt x 3 channels
AT1604 - 160 watt x 4 channels
AT1605 - 160 watt x 5 channels
AT1606 - 160 watt x 6 channels
AT1607 - 160 watt x 7 channels
AT1608 - 160 watt x 8 channels
AT2202 - 220 watt x 2 channels
AT2203 - 220 watt x 3 channels
AT2204 - 220 watt x 4 channels
AT2205 - 220 watt x 5 channels
AT2206 - 220 watt x 6 channels
AT2207 - 220 watt x 7 channels
AT2208 - 220 watt x 8 channels
AT3302 - 330 watt x 2 channels
AT3303 - 330 watt x 3 channels
AT3304 - 330 watt x 4 channels
AT3305 - 330 watt x 5 channels
AT3306 - 330 watt x 6 channels
AT3307 - 330 watt x 7 channels
AT3308 - 330 watt x 8 channels

WOW! That's quite a list... I currently have an ATI 4007 and the ATI nCore 8 channel, but it's nice to see some new ones coming (if they actually do make it). Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I posted about them quite a while ago. They are all new class AB amps with lower prices than the AT4000 and AT 6000 series.

Will the 2200 and 3300 be fully balanced like the previous 2000 and 3000 series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
WOW! That's quite a list... I currently have an ATI 4007 and the ATI N-Core 8 channel, but it's nice to see some new ones coming (if they actually do make it). Thanks for sharing!

When you look at it closer, it's really only 3 different amps. 160, 220 and 330 watt amps in versions from two channels to eight channels. IMO, all power amps should be modular and configurable. ATI has it figured out and does a great job with build and sound quality. And, they do it with both Class AB and Class D Hypex N-Core output modules.

·
Registered
379 Posts
About that beauty tax...

Have you considered Revel b-stock? These are functionally perfect with some blemish but at a significant discount. Ask Rex about this. You may be surprised.

The other angle is to buy used where the probability of better price because of a few dings goes up.

Both of these approaches can take a while but the wait can pay big sonic dividends.
I will always consider B stock. I would consider B- stock, as long as the speaker functionality and performance is in tact.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I will always consider B stock. I would consider B- stock, as long as the speaker functionality and performance is in tact.
Harman policy on B stock is they allow only minor cosmetic flaws in the cabinet finishes. Everything has to work to spec and they have the full five year warranty, same as new.

We have sold a lot of B stock and folks almost always say they have to look very hard to find any flaws. On the rare occasion something slips through and there is obvious damage, they are very good about replacing things.

·
Registered
787 Posts
When you look at it closer, it's really only 3 different amps. 160, 220 and 330 watt amps in versions from two channels to eight channels. IMO, all power amps should be modular and configurable. ATI has it figured out and does a great job with build and sound quality. And, they do it with both Class AB and Class D Hypex N-Core output modules.

Yes, totally agree... I always thought they needed a lower tier offering but figured Monoprice filled that void. I just wasn't expecting 3 new lines. That would give them 6 lines total if they keep the current offerings.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
I thought B-stock only had a 1-year warranty? Not that I care; if they fail, it will be in year one or year ten or twenty, and not likely between.

I have a mix of new (A-stock), "blems" (A-? -- not officially B-stock), and B-stock in various Revel lines. For some I got pictures of where the blemishes were located. Good thing, because I think of maybe half a dozen I was only able to find one blem on my own. Some I never could find. One was a smudge in the finish on the back side. I can live with that. The worst I ever saw (not mine) was a cracked bottom piece on a Salon2 or Studio2, and Harman (Revel) fixed that for free.

IME dealers (most certainly Rex and John, my dealers, but also Steve and one or two others I have heard about) are good at checking for B-stock if price is a concern and you request. The stock varies as do the deals but at times you can save a bundle for a tiny little blemish. You can also have them drop-shipped to you house; my first pair went to John's and Joel helped me haul them home. I am slow but learned quickly that time; the next set was shipped to my house and I had a helper on hand when they arrived.

FWIWFM - Don

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I thought B-stock only had a 1-year warranty? Not that I care; if they fail, it will be in year one or year ten or twenty, and not likely between.

I have a mix of new (A-stock), "blems" (A-? -- not officially B-stock), and B-stock in various Revel lines. For some I got pictures of where the blemishes were located. Good thing, because I think of maybe half a dozen I was only able to find one blem on my own. Some I never could find. One was a smudge in the finish on the back side. I can live with that. The worst I ever saw (not mine) was a cracked bottom piece on a Salon2 or Studio2, and Harman (Revel) fixed that for free.

IME dealers (most certainly Rex and John, my dealers, but also Steve and one or two others I have heard about) are good at checking for B-stock if price is a concern and you request. The stock varies as do the deals but at times you can save a bundle for a tiny little blemish. You can also have them drop-shipped to you house; my first pair went to John's and Joel helped me haul them home. I am slow but learned quickly that time; the next set was shipped to my house and I had a helper on hand when they arrived.

FWIWFM - Don

Harman started giving full five year warranty on B stock speakers quite a while ago.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Harman started giving full five year warranty on B stock speakers quite a while ago.
So you're saying I pre-date "quite a while ago", ranks a rot... :)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
So you're saying I pre-date "quite a while ago", ranks a rot... :)
I can't remember exactly when the new warranty policy started. I could ask Joel to check if you are concerned, the last batch of Salon2's you bought might have 5 year warranty on them.

I love that I got to say "batch of Salon2's", lol.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
I can't remember exactly when the new warranty policy started. I could ask Joel to check if you are concerned, the last batch of Salon2's you bought might have 5 year warranty on them.

I love that I got to say "batch of Salon2's", lol.
No worries, they are still working, and I expect will for a long time to come. Should've known you'd have the latest info!

I got to say "ranks a rot", in my best Scoobie-Doo typing style, does that count? :D

To bring it sort of back on topic, and IME, good luck telling if you have A-stock or B-stock...

Reactions: Bill-99

·
Registered
108 Posts
After considering published anechoic measurements of Salon2, including Harman's own spins and NRC's, plus my own measurements of my pair, both quasi-anechoic and steady-state at various locations in various rooms, I have come to the conclusion that a parametric EQ boost of +2db Q=3 at 2300Hz makes an improvement objectively that is audible subjectively. It fixes a dip in the crossover region that affects on and off axis response, and helps mitigate the issue of a directivity bump in the same region.

I don't have an SDP-75 but I would think this is one of the improvements the anechoic data there would make, if any.

Thought I'd share for fellow owners, and would welcome any related suggestions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HELP!!!! Is my F228be defective?

Hello experts. I posted this before, but I don't think my question was clear: Is this F228be defective?
See the red trace below. (Other channel in green for comparison)
Notes:
- The speakers were physically swapped from right to left to rule out wiring, amplifier channel, room, etc.
- Receiver is Denon AVR-4500H played at low volume.
- Measured with REW and UMIK microphone
- I measured this because it seemed I had to increase this speaker's volume on choral music.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hello experts. I posted this before, but I don't think my question was clear: Is this F228be defective?
Notes:
- The speakers were physically swapped from right to left to rule out wiring, amplifier channel, room, etc.
- I measured this because it seemed I had to increase this speaker's volume on choral music.
Thanks for your help.
Green looks normal, red does not. I wonder if you got a speaker with a driver wired incorrectly.

Are you sure the shorting straps are connected well? Have you tried using both set of inputs (one or the other) on the bad speaker? Are you measuring one speaker at a time? Are you using room correction? If so, turn it off and measure both speakers, one at a time.

If you find you still have the same issue, you should talk to your dealer, they are under warranty.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Notes:
Thanks for your help.
Looks like the midrange in the red plot is missing or wired out of phase. Play something not too loud and listen closely up and down the front to see if the midrange is playing at all. If it is, it may have been wired out of phase, something that should have been caught in final quality control but things happen. Contact your dealer and/or Revel customer service.

Reactions: RichB

·
Registered
2,288 Posts

A search found this link from July, 2019. Are the prices in the link correct or incorrect?

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/ati-amplifier-technologies-owners-thread.115315/

·
Registered
471 Posts
After considering published anechoic measurements of Salon2, including Harman's own spins and NRC's, plus my own measurements of my pair, both quasi-anechoic and steady-state at various locations in various rooms, I have come to the conclusion that a parametric EQ boost of +2db Q=3 at 2300Hz makes an improvement objectively that is audible subjectively. It fixes a dip in the crossover region that affects on and off axis response, and helps mitigate the issue of a directivity bump in the same region.

I don't have an SDP-75 but I would think this is one of the improvements the anechoic data there would make, if any.

Thought I'd share for fellow owners, and would welcome any related suggestions.
Thanks for sharing that. No doubt the Salon 2s can be improved with a little DSP, as all passive speakers can. I wish ASR would measure his Salon 2s. I know we technically already have spins, but the files he posts are easier to play around with and test DSP.

18201 - 18220 of 18586 Posts