AVS Forum banner

18501 - 18520 of 18853 Posts

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,726 Posts
My F228Be said it was 252 lbs pallet weight.
Those have a net weight of 82 lbs - was that for 1 or a pair? In any event, I have a hunch the pallet weights get adjusted up to make the insurance coverage work as freight shipping works in mysterious ways; the fee is often more about how much space the pallet takes up on the truck and whether other items can be stacked on top or not than how much it weighs. As @Orbitron said, the important thing is that we've got great speakers that we enjoy. If they arrive without damage and the shipping fees we get charged are reasonable, what's listed for the pallet weight doesn't really matter all that much - as long as we don't start trying to convince people that a 75 lb item weighs 250 lbs because that was listed as the shipping weight :).

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,525 Posts
Those shipping weights sound high.
I just shipped my Studio2s on a 40x48 pallet. I estimated 120 lbs for each in their boxes plus 40 lbs for pallet, so 280 lbs total.

- Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
My F228Be said it was 252 lbs pallet weight.
Those have a net weight of 82 lbs - was that for 1 or a pair? In any event, I have a hunch the pallet weights get adjusted up to make the insurance coverage work as freight shipping works in mysterious ways; the fee is often more about how much space the pallet takes up on the truck and whether other items can be stacked on top or not than how much it weighs. As @Orbitron said, the important thing is that we've got great speakers that we enjoy. If they arrive without damage and the shipping fees we get charged are reasonable, what's listed for the pallet weight doesn't really matter all that much - as long as we don't start trying to convince people that a 75 lb item weighs 250 lbs because that was listed as the shipping weight /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif.
It was for a pair on a pallet drop shipped from Revel.

I also thought it was a mistake. But that’s what it said on the bill of lading.

The F228Be is packed way better than the F208. Glad they decided to spend a few bucks to protect their speakers.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,726 Posts
It was for a pair on a pallet drop shipped from Revel.

I also thought it was a mistake. But that’s what it said on the bill of lading.

The F228Be is packed way better than the F208. Glad they decided to spend a few bucks to protect their speakers.
That weight doesn't sound too far off - if you figure ~100 lbs per speaker including the boxes and packing and add another ~40 lbs for the pallet, you're at about 240 lbs. with just rough estimates on the numbers, so 252 lbs is totally believable.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
That's awesome, @Rex Anderson :D! Are those being used for review samples / show demos? That's a great way to ship them if they're going to be shipped more than once or twice, but obviously adds a tiny bit of shipping weight :).

They are at John Schuermann's now. I'm not sure what his plans are, they just arrived a few days ago. He's still recovering from unpacking and setting them up, lol.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Are those cases for sale? They look sweet!
Cases come with the speakers and vice-versa, it's a package deal. You can buy Anvil cases for almost anything: https://www.calzoneandanvil.com/

When I worked in pro audio, we had rooms full of those things and moved them around for PA and recording setups. Built like a tank.

I'm fairly certain JBL Professional has an arrangement with them, thus the connection to Revel.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Cases come with the speakers and vice-versa, it's a package deal. You can buy Anvil cases for almost anything: https://www.calzoneandanvil.com/

When I worked in pro audio, we had rooms full of those things and moved them around for PA and recording setups. Built like a tank.

I'm fairly certain JBL Professional has an arrangement with them, thus the connection to Revel.

So the cases are what the 328Be’s are shipped in?

That’s interesting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am carefully reading about the pros and cons on the F35 and F36 speakers for my HT room.

The room size is 15 ft x 15 ft with a height of 9 inches. The AVR is Marantz 5014 with emotiva XPA 5 gen 3. Center and surrounds will be all revel and I am only choosing between the F36 and F35.

I read that in order to maximize the F36 you need a big room to match. However, the price difference between the F36 and F35 is minimal in the long run that I would like to avoid any regrets. However if I don't get to maximize the F36 then the additional cash spent will be wasted if the performance of the speakers will be the same.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,841 Posts
I am carefully reading about the pros and cons on the F35 and F36 speakers for my HT room.

The room size is 15 ft x 15 ft with a height of 9 inches. The AVR is Marantz 5014 with emotiva XPA 5 gen 3. Center and surrounds will be all revel and I am only choosing between the F36 and F35.

I read that in order to maximize the F36 you need a big room to match. However, the price difference between the F36 and F35 is minimal in the long run that I would like to avoid any regrets. However if I don't get to maximize the F36 then the additional cash spent will be wasted if the performance of the speakers will be the same.
I think the only way to answer this with 100% certainty would be to see distortion sweeps on both speakers at varying levels to see how much louder/cleaner the F36 will play. The F36 do have 24% more cone area than the F35. For me personally, I went for the *likely* higher output capability and slightly higher sensitivity of the F36 since size was fine, and price was within budget. Assuming driver quality is the same, the F36 should have an advantage. Until you get within a few dB of max output capability, I can't imagine they would sound any different. From 80 Hz crossover to subs up to around 300Hz is usually the toughest range for speakers, especially once you factor in this will be the most heavily eq'd range. Size of the room doesn't matter much imo unless the physical size of the towers just overwhelms.

On a somewhat unrelated note, just thinking out loud, I would love to see a distortion comparison between a pair of Revel towers driven by a run of the mill AVR vs a good quality external amp like Monoprice Monolith or NC500, to see how much extra clean headroom, if any, an external amp would provide. I'll probably conduct that experiment myself one day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think the only way to answer this with 100% certainty would be to see distortion sweeps on both speakers at varying levels to see how much louder/cleaner the F36 will play. The F36 do have 24% more cone area than the F35. For me personally, I went for the *likely* higher output capability and slightly higher sensitivity of the F36 since size was fine, and price was within budget. Assuming driver quality is the same, the F36 should have an advantage. Until you get within a few dB of max output capability, I can't imagine they would sound any different. From 80 Hz crossover to subs up to around 300Hz is usually the toughest range for speakers, especially once you factor in this will be the most heavily eq'd range. Size of the room doesn't matter much imo unless the physical size of the towers just overwhelms.

On a somewhat unrelated note, just thinking out loud, I would love to see a distortion comparison between a pair of Revel towers driven by a run of the mill AVR vs a good quality external amp like Monoprice Monolith or NC500, to see how much extra clean headroom, if any, an external amp would provide. I'll probably conduct that experiment myself one day.
I would be very interested in the results of your experiment one day.

I live outside the US and unfortunately the monolith nor NC500 is not available in where I live. Ordering them from the US is out of the question since the shipping and taxes is significant.

Looks like the F36 would be the safest choice.

·
Registered
944 Posts

How loud do you listen and how far do you sit from the speakers?

·
Registered
586 Posts

You'd probably be better off getting Bose with such a low ceiling... :D

I agree with Bear though, if the size of the F36 works in your room, go for it. Otherwise you'll always be wondering "what if...".

In other news, my c426be is on a truck and should be delivered any minute now!

Reactions: Bill-99 and bear123

·
Registered
3 Posts
has anyone compared the salon2 with the f328be for stereo listening? Is the soundstage of the 328be as full as the salon2?

Is the sweet spot as broad as the salon2?. So in other words as you move off axis, the image is still coherent and does not 'appear' to move towards the nearer speaker. Recently, Matt Poes from audioholics did a youtube series on explaining directionality/dispersion and how that plays into imaging. Although wide dispersion speakers seem to have a better off axis frequency response, the ability to project a localized image ('apparent source of the sound') is poorer than narrow dispersion speakers. When narrow dispersion speakers are toed in more than the wider dispersion units, the off axis drop-off of frequency response in spl is compensated by the decreasing distance of your ears to the speaker. This results in a fixed image tho you are off axis. Unfortunately, the devil is in the details. The actual roll off of the frequency, the distance and geometry of the speakers and the listener and as well as the presence of reflections affect the image. The salon2 (though 13 years old?) still has a remarkable performance compared to current speakers. The 328be uses a similar beryllium tweeter but has newer waveguides. So I am curious to know if anyone has heard these side by side. The clarity of the salon2 was beautiful when i heard it. ITs ability to fill a big room and 'disappear' while still projecting an image of the instruments was satisfying.

How does the 328be compare to the salon2 w respect to imaging? Is the array of instruments/voices as clear when you close your eyes?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
has anyone compared the salon2 with the f328be for stereo listening? Is the soundstage of the 328be as full as the salon2?

Is the sweet spot as broad as the salon2?. So in other words as you move off axis, the image is still coherent and does not 'appear' to move towards the nearer speaker. Recently, Matt Poes from audioholics did a youtube series on explaining directionality/dispersion and how that plays into imaging. Although wide dispersion speakers seem to have a better off axis frequency response, the ability to project a localized image ('apparent source of the sound') is poorer than narrow dispersion speakers. When narrow dispersion speakers are toed in more than the wider dispersion units, the off axis drop-off of frequency response in spl is compensated by the decreasing distance of your ears to the speaker. This results in a fixed image tho you are off axis. Unfortunately, the devil is in the details. The actual roll off of the frequency, the distance and geometry of the speakers and the listener and as well as the presence of reflections affect the image. The salon2 (though 13 years old?) still has a remarkable performance compared to current speakers. The 328be uses a similar beryllium tweeter but has newer waveguides. So I am curious to know if anyone has heard these side by side. The clarity of the salon2 was beautiful when i heard it. ITs ability to fill a big room and 'disappear' while still projecting an image of the instruments was satisfying. How does the 328be compare to the salon2 w respect to imaging? Is the array of instruments/voices as clear when you close your eyes?
John Schuermann just got a pair of F328Be's in last week. He will be conducting a listening test and comparison to his Salon2's soon. I don't know of anyone else who has both speakers that can do this. I'll post again when I know more.

18501 - 18520 of 18853 Posts