AVS Forum banner

18781 - 18800 of 18853 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The F328Be is essentially the perfectly balanced speaker - it does nothing wrong, the bass and midrange are absolutely clean and tight. However, the Salon2 still has something special on the top end, a "silkiness" especially with strings that makes it stand out for us. It's still our favorite of the two.

Overall it was an amazing listening experience and we feel that the ultimate speaker would be one that combined the silky smooth open top end of the Salon2 with the low frequency tightness and punch of the F328.
Nice write up, I speculated awhile back that the new Be line might end up replacing the Ultima 2 series if they can get close enough to the performance, it does seem that a triple 8" version was meant to replace the Salon 2 but who knows. Looking at the measurements, I can see how the F328 would sound just a bit laid back compared to the Salon 2 which is just a bit more neutral. I would love to be able to compare the 2 while adding a slight high shelf boost from 1k on for the 328 to see if that makes the highs more comparable. Aside from the highs being slightly lower in level, the F328 to my eyes measures better than the Salon 2, the ER curve is especially good. One benefit of the F328 style highs is they shouldn't ever be harsh, even at very loud levels they should sound very smooth.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
F328Be was not meant to replace the Salon2 which remains as the pinnacle of the line. It has become very expensive to produce the Salon2 cabinet with the zero diffraction front baffle. Don't forget, the list price of the Salon 2 has not changed since it was introduced in 2007. Factor in inflation and MSRP should be $27,578.57 today. Get 'em while you can, there are not many currently available and more aren't due to arrive until next year.

When you get to this level of engineering excellence and sonic neutrality (Salon2 or F328Be), you can be certain the speaker is reproducing what is on the recording about as accurately as possible. Room acoustics and placement of the speaker in the room relative to the listener will have a large effect on what you hear and measure. If you want to EQ to taste, I think it would depend more on the recording than the speaker/room combination once that has been optimized for best response. The Circle of Confusion and thus the quality of the source material is the biggest factor. Still, there are obvious sound quality and measured differences between the Salon2 and F328Be. I think this listening test report stated what they are. I can assure you, the Salon2 doesn't sound harsh at very loud levels if the recording isn't the problem.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
F328Be was not meant to replace the Salon2 which remains as the pinnacle of the line. It has become very expensive to produce the Salon2 cabinet with the zero diffraction front baffle. Don't forget, the list price of the Salon 2 has not changed since it was introduced in 2007. Factor in inflation and MSRP should be $27,578.57 today. Get 'em while you can, there are not many currently available and more aren't due to arrive until next year.

When you get to this level of engineering excellence and sonic neutrality (Salon2 or F328Be), you can be certain the speaker is reproducing what is on the recording about as accurately as possible. Room acoustics and placement of the speaker in the room relative to the listener will have a large effect on what you hear and measure. If you want to EQ to taste, I think it would depend more on the recording than the speaker/room combination once that has been optimized for best response. The Circle of Confusion and thus the quality of the source material is the biggest factor. Still, there are obvious sound quality and measured differences between the Salon2 and F328Be. I think this listening test report stated what they are. I can assure you, the Salon2 doesn't sound harsh at very loud levels if the recording isn't the problem.
To your point about the Salon 2 being very expensive to produce, that's part of the reason why they could discontinue it, or they would have to raise the price eventually. It's already happened to the studio 2 so I was just speculating that it may be in the longer term plans.

I've heard the Salon 2 so I know they sound great, I have no doubt the F328 sound great as well, I was just noting that the Spin of the F328 is smoother but you can see after 1k the highs are about 1-2 db lower than the mids which is most likely responsible for the Salon 2 having slightly better highs.

I'm not talking about EQ'ing to taste and definitely not using in-room measurements, with PEQ we can basically fix the spinorama. The F328 needs very little fixing of course but I was just saying I would be curious if boosting the 1k+ region to be closer to the mids would make the highs equal to the Salon 2. Dr. Toole mentions this approach either in his latest book or on the forums and a few of us on the forums have had success in making speakers sound even better by EQ'ing the Spinorama.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Are the Revel sensitivity levels quite accurate? I'll be doing a 7.1.4 setup (990s for LCR, 363's all around) and am wondering if a Denon 3700 will be sufficient for typical volume, nothing too extreme, or if I should get a beefier amp for the LCR.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Are the Revel sensitivity levels quite accurate? I'll be doing a 7.1.4 setup (990s for LCR, 363's all around) and am wondering if a Denon 3700 will be sufficient for typical volume, nothing too extreme, or if I should get a beefier amp for the LCR.
I would trust the Revel specs more than any independent testers. For crying out loud, they measured the speakers in one of four anechoic chambers they have at the Northridge, CA facility. They are one of a few speaker manufacturers who measure and publish CEA 2034 (spinorama) data.

Try your Denon AVR first and get an amp for the front LCR if you need it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Typical listening levels < 80db use less than 1 watt, which still leaves 20db of headroom with a 100W amp. If you get a different amp it shouldn't be for volume reasons.

·
Registered
823 Posts
A question about Revel center channel speakers:

I just purchased a pair of used F206s. I'm considering a matching (walnut) used C208 center channel speaker, but I have an opportunity to buy an Ultima Voice (first generation) at a similar price.

Any advice? The Voice should be a better speaker, although it's older. Would it match the F206s sonically?

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,524 Posts

I just purchased a pair of used F206s. I'm considering a matching (walnut) used C208 center channel speaker, but I have an opportunity to buy an Ultima Voice (first generation) at a similar price.

Any advice? The Voice should be a better speaker, although it's older. Would it match the F206s sonically?
I had the Voice1 and it was good but I expect the C208 is similar and a better match.
I had an issue with my Voice1 midrange where the glue came loose causing it to distort and sound scratchy.
This also occurred with a Salon1 so it was not uncommon.
At this point, spare part may be an issue, definitely the C208.

- Rich

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
12,757 Posts

I would get the newer C208. The original Voice is very old, thus more likely to need repairs, and parts are no longer available AFAIK. The C208 has all the latest goodies and would be a fine match to your F206's.

I was going to ask but upon reflection have decided I do not want to know about the Voice2 being discontinued... :)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
As a C208 and Voice2 owner, i would opt for the Voice2 as i want my center to be the very best possible. If vocal clarity and vocal tone are of upmost importance, it's the Voice2. As for timbral matching, the Voice2 will blend nicely. I've paired mine with Revel and another brand - not an issue to worry about.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,524 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
^Not 100% sure but at this point that could be how most people feel about the election, the pandemic, and robocalls. It also kind of looks like he's opening up for a throat culture swab. Say "ah".

Anyhow, back on topic. This is kind of a wallet-dangerous question to ask but here goes.

For people who have spent time with the Voice2 and the C208, can you say a few words about audio clarity with material that's less than optimal? My C208 has been great for most broadcast TV -- news, shows, sports. Clarity seems to rarely be a challenge. But with streamed content and Blu Ray disks (regular and 4k ultra) it's highly variable. What has been your experience?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am envious of all of your higher end Revels! Could anyone comment on the lowly C25 center? I’m thinking about pairing it with F35’s (and HSU sub) for a modest setup. Worried about the frequency response of the center — seems it hits -3db right around 80HZ, which may impact male voices. I’m pretty sensitive to sound localization so a higher crossover may not be a good idea.

Currently running Elac Debut 6.2 center, which digs deep but sounds muddy in the lower frequencies. Should I save up for a better Revel center?

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
^Not 100% sure but at this point that could be how most people feel about the election, the pandemic, and robocalls. It also kind of looks like he's opening up for a throat culture swab. Say "ah".

Anyhow, back on topic. This is kind of a wallet-dangerous question to ask but here goes.

For people who have spent time with the Voice2 and the C208, can you say a few words about audio clarity with material that's less than optimal? My C208 has been great for most broadcast TV -- news, shows, sports. Clarity seems to rarely be a challenge. But with streamed content and Blu Ray disks (regular and 4k ultra) it's highly variable. What has been your experience?
I use a C208 and have found source material to be the problem with clarity. The Circle of Confusion still abounds and who knows what crappy monitors the sound mixers are using? Sometimes the mix is muddy, sometimes it's harsh. Everything depends on what the mixer is hearing.

I know the C208 speaker is doing a great job of faithfully playing back what it's fed. If it doesn't sound good, I use EQ and the tone controls on the back of the speaker to help make it sound better.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I am envious of all of your higher end Revels! Could anyone comment on the lowly C25 center? I’m thinking about pairing it with F35’s (and HSU sub) for a modest setup. Worried about the frequency response of the center — seems it hits -3db right around 80HZ, which may impact male voices. I’m pretty sensitive to sound localization so a higher crossover may not be a good idea.
Of course we're going to say go with the C208. What do you expect us to say? :)

Nothing wrong with the C25. You get solid drivers and excellent engineering throughout their lines, but if you move up to the C205, for instance, you'll pick up some additional power handling. The cabs are sealed, so even though the roll-off starts higher, it's on a more gradual slope.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts

Currently running Elac Debut 6.2 center, which digs deep but sounds muddy in the lower frequencies. Should I save up for a better Revel center?
C25 is a very good center channel speaker, especially for the price. It is a perfect match for your F35's. 3 dB down at 80Hz is not a problem if you use subs.

Consider a method of EQ'ing the Elac center channel to cut the mud. If that doesn't work, sell it and get a C25. Also look at Rythmic subs, lots of Revel owners use them.

Could the issue with the Elac center be placement/room acoustics? Do you use room correction?

18781 - 18800 of 18853 Posts