AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am ordering a Revel speaker system, it's a new install for a new theater room. I have no idea what types of cables or wires needed, or the best place to order them from. The manuals for the speakers give certain minimum gauge guidelines that I've listed below, but I've also heard it's not necessary to go that low, and that 12 gauge may be fine. Can anyone give any input? I am completely clueless as to what I need. I am also told I need OCC type cable for the front speakers and OFC for the rest.

Revel s12 side surrounds

RIGHT SIDE (9 GAUGE) OFC 45FT

LEFT SIDE (12 GAUGE) OFC 20FT

Revel f12 left and right front speakers

RIGHT SIDE (9 GAUGE) OCC 43FT

LEFT SIDE (10 GAUGE) OCC 30FT

Revel c12 center

10 Gauge OCC 36FT

Revel m12 rear surrounds

LEFT SIDE (8 GAUGE) OFC 55FT

RIGHT SIDE (7 GAUGE) OFC 65FT

subwoofer vtf-3 - 34FT (4 pair)

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
^^ Forgot to add that.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Or you can run to your local Menards/Home Depot/Lowe's/Do it Best/Ace and buy as much 12ga lamp cord you want...

If in wall, get CL rated.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You don't need anything bigger than 12 gauge. Have you seen 12 gauge?

It is huge wire.

Mono price has a good selection and it won't cost you a fortune.

·
Registered
22,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20803559

... buy as much 12ga lamp cord you want...

If in wall, get CL rated.

Is there such a thing a CL rated "lamp cord"?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for all of the input. So just 12awg speaker wire will be good for everything?

vtf-3-mk3 hsureserach

Thats the subwoofer, will I need the same cable or a different type of wire for that?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
I use the words "lamp cord" to de-mystify speaker wire.

Copper is copper.

I had a client a while back who wanted speakers put in his sons tree house(it is amazing how a kid as young as 5 works his way around a computer like this kid did).

I used RG6 for the speakers. It was the only thing we could think of that would survive a kid that likes to climb a tree.

And yes, I ran the RG6 through a ground block, just like I would have for a satellite dish.

·
Registered
22,830 Posts
Nice anecdote, but nothing to do with the thread.

Nonetheless, don't mystify that "lamp cord" can be obtained at 12AWG or CL rated.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
The point is(was)...

lamp cord/CL rated/RG6 all do the same exact thing. But they all have their reasons for being.

RG6 is the same thing as "subwoofer cable" as well. It just has RCA ends on it.(note, not all subwoofer cables are RG6...just the good ones)

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Wow, 7 AWG! That would be huge! I guess they can blame the sub-standard wire if you go with 12 AWG and don't like the sound in the end. ;-)

·
Registered
22,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20804607

lamp cord/CL rated/RG6 all do the same exact thing. But they all have their reasons for being.

yeah... just like lighter fluid, kerosene and gasoline.

And RG59 works just as well for sub cable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts