AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the Revel speaker line for my HT setup, but I don't have a Revel dealer near me. Can someone tell me the main differences between the Salon and Studio? It's more than just a cosmetic differnence, isn't it? Also, are they the same physical size? Thanks.

Kevin

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm well aware of the Revel website.

If someone out there is personally familiar with these speakers, I'd appreciate some comments on the differences between the two, thanks.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Kevin,

Excuse me but your size question is clearly answered on the site and the specifications answer some of the non cosmetic differences. I judged by the nature of the question that you had not gone to the site. I did hear them both but in completely different setups and months apart for a brief period of time. As per the specs, the Salons do indeed go lower by about one octave but I liked the studios better as I felt they had a less boxy sound. This could all have been attributed to the setup though.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The Salons are considerably larger; they are a four-way system, with a tweeter, mid, mid/base, and 3 woofers. The studio is three way, with tweeter, mid and 2 woofers. The Salons are primarily intended for a larger room than the Studio's. Both sound great. I'd love a pair of either, but would't buy Salons unless I had the room for them. As was mentioned, the Revel website gives all the specs, high res pics, etc. There are also numerous reviews available online.

enigma

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Here is a pic showing the two side by side (also the Voice ctr and the Sub-30 subwoofer). The Salon is on the right.

enigma

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, that really gives me some idea of the size perspective.

Unfortunately there's no dealer close by for me to demo them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I demo'd both extensively about 5 years ago. I loved them both. The Salons go plenty low on music for me and they sounded fuller than the Studio. I planned to buy the Salon but my wife (who rarely does so) veto'd them as she absolutely hated the style. I ended up with Dynaudio Contour 3.3s which I'm very happy with. The Studio was very nice, but definitely a step down in my opinion.

The only other speaker I've liked as much/more is the 8 foot tall Dynaudio, can't remember the name. This was a short demo, but I was very impressed. All demos were with Levinson 33H monoblocks and full Levinson electronics.

Joe

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I'm with joe, I liked the salons, but the dynaudios are way better, for far less $$ (for a confidence C2.)

Again, I don't know why you are looking at dropping this kind of cash without VERY thoroughly auditioning these first....

Certainly speakers sound very different, and getting the sound you like/want is *impossible* without hearing them yourself.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I stated above, there is no dealer near me.

As luck would have it, though, a member online here has a full Revel surround setup, lives near me, and has graciously invited me to his place to demo the speakers. I'll be able to hear for myself what they sound like now.

I'll post my comments here once I hear them, and make a comparison to my current setup (Aerial LR5's, CC5, SR3's).

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
There are no dealers in the bay area!?

I know there are dynaudio dealers around, there is at least one in san fran. It would be well worth a trip, heck even plane tickets for this kind of cash.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's one about an hour away from me. I'll listen to them first at the person's house who volunteered a demo session.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Just curious; but why are you interested in replacing the Aerials? From what I have read, they are very good speakers. Any thoughts on keeping the CC5 and upgrading your L & R with more expensive Aerials?

I am in the oposite situation as you; I have a Revel dealer nearby but no Aerial.

ChrisWiggles: I intrepreted the comment by Joe Jensen to mean that he thought the Studio's were a step down from Salon's; not Dynaudio's. I thought he said Salons were vetoed due to WAF issues. Maybe you can clarify, Joe?

As an aside, many Dynaudio's look OK to me (at least in pictures), but the confidence line look hideous. Maybe its better in person. Well, to each his own I guess. I always liked the Revel Ultima look, esp with the gloss black upper sections.

enigma

·
Registered
152 Posts
ENIGMA - that'swhat I am doing. I dont have LR5s I have 7bs and after upgrwding the cc3 to a CC5 I am choosing between an LR5 psir or model 9.

KY must have his reasons.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I auditioned both the Salons and the Studios at Music By Design, a high-end store located in Berkeley, CA.

While the Salons went deeper, that was irrelevant to me as I intended to purchase (and did) two Revel B-15 subwoofers.

I listened to a number of "higher end" speaker systems. At the end, it was down to three: Revel Studios, Wilson Audio Puppies, and B&W 802s. I chose the Studios for several reasons. Foremost, they had a wonderfully spacious and uncolored sound; they are, in my estimation, much better than the 802s and close to the Puppies; they are "reasonably priced"; and both my wife and I love how they look. I purchased an entire Revel systems, including the Studios, the Voice and the Embraces, as well as the two B-15s.

We are absolutely delighted with our audio system. However, I should add that I have Krell amplification, a Proceed PAV/PDSD/PMDT system and my cabling is all Transparent Audio. Finally, I have extensive power filtering with a complete Richard Gray installation as well as a Shunyata Hydra and an EquiPower voltage regulator. Also, we have sound absorbing panels to dampen certain resonances.

For readers who are new to the "high end" of audio, let me just restate what is sometimes overlooked: audio is a system -- speakers can only reproduce what they are fed and they have to do so in a room with its own reproduction impacts. I get a lot out of my Studios; however, I also have made sure to deliver to them the purest signal I can.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.