AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody heard these the Revel Voice center and the Eggleston Andra center side by side? I have a Lexicon MC-12 and a Lexicon Lx-7 200watt per channel x7 amp. My room is 23'x24' with 12' ceiling. Two large M&K subs handle the base. I am looking for great imaging and detail. Along with the feeling that the speaker(s) seems to disappear into the room creating a large sound stage. A liquid 3d type sound stage somewhat analytical but not fatiguing or too warm. My room is large from a cubic feet stand point so the speaker will have to have a very wholesome sound to effectively fill the room with sound vs the tinny type unpreffered sound. Which center speaker has "bigger" sound? My front mains are Altec 508A but depending what center I choose I will eventually purchase either Revel ultima front mains or Eggleston Andra ll or Rosa. I have heard the Revel Voice center, but not the Andra center. Does th Revel Voice have any advantage in that it is a three way design while the Andra center (like the Wilson Watch) is of two way design? Any comments on these two center speakers (and the accompanying mains) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks G

·
Registered
383 Posts
Rather than focus on the center speaker, I would look for a pair of mains that you're happy with, and then determine if the center speaker sufficiently matches the mains. If you plan to keep those Altecs for a long time, then you should pick the center that best matches the voice characteristics of those speakers. And for verification, you should listen to the matching mains and see if those are acceptable for your listening.

When choosing a center speaker, the decision should always be made in relation to how well it matches the mains. Any kind of mismatch between the center and mains, even if the center subjectively sounds better than the mains, disrupts the front soundfield.

And don't be afraid to go with the no center speaker option if you find it difficult to match the center with the Altecs. IMO, no center speaker gives you much better sound than a poorly matched center speaker. Buying a center speaker just to have one is not a good approach.

·
Registered
27,309 Posts
I can speak for the Revel..I have listened to it a few times at my local Hi-Fi place. It is simply the best center I have ever heard. ( I have also heard the Vandersteens, Aerials, and B&W's recently). In fact, the Revel system is my dream system. It is dynamic, handles loads of power and never is in your face - always in control.. I can't speak to the Eggleston but they, too, have a wonderful reputation.

When I upgrade, the Revel Gems and Voice center are near the top of my list.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The Egglestons are a fantastic speaker. You couldn't go wrong with either one but I would suggest listening to both. One thing I do know is if you have a big amp, you can beat on the Egglestons like no other speaker... they eat it up. The Andra II's bigger brother was designed by Bob Ludwig of Gateway Mastering fame (probably the best mastering engineer on the earth) and the Andra II has taken much from its big brother. While I have never heard the Revel and Eggleston side by side, the Eggleston is an often overlooked speaker but is definitely a class-A player.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Would you use one brand and model of speaker for the left channel and something different for the right channel? No way. Your best results will be with three identical front speakers, even if they are of lesser quality than either of the nice centers you're looking at. And if you pay attention to treating your room, especially to kill first reflections, you'll be better off in the long run.

You mentioned you want great imaging. Great imaging comes from identical front speakers in a treated room.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I agree with Paul. I also run a Lexicon MC-12, and I use M&K S-150's - all identical - across the front and rear. On the sides, I use M&K Tripoles.

Talk about seamless sound with great imaging.......WOW!

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Well, your Altec's are about as far from the sound of the Eggleston's as can be. Having heard the Revel in a decent room with matching mains, I would concur that they make one of the better center channels I have heard. Of course given your experience with horns, I might also have a few other ideas, but they probably won't have as nice a finish as the Revels... :rolleyes:

I would concur with Paul that matching your mains should be the end goal, but you are on a good path in letting the center channel dictate your L/R speaker purchase rather than the other way around. Having just installed a system with 3 speakers which are identical and measured suprisingly close to each other at the listening position, I can say the seamless imaging from the front 3 is wonderfull.

Good luck,

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Altecs are not horn driven. They have a 1" titanium dome tweeter, a 2" titanium dome mid range and two 8" woven carbon fiber woofers. The driver material, (6) ohm, and speaker sensitivity are similar to the Revel. I heard the Revel at the store and it sounded very close to the Altecs. I do have an extra Altec 508A, which I have tried as a center, but for some reason the Altec is having a hard time with dialogue. At times I strain to understand the words spoken. I do have a glass end table 8 feet in front of the center (I know not desirable) could this be part of the problem? My dedicated Altec center (not a 508a) is now failing as I am starting to hear speech breaking up. Sounds like the tweeter voice coil malfunctioning. I am trying to plan ahead in that if my fronts have a problem and I run out of back-up parts then I will have to buy new ones. I am not crazy about the look of the Revel Salons aesthetically or size wise, which is why I am debating between the Revel and the Egglestons. Eggleston Andra or Rosa "fit" in my room better. Anyone a/b the two centers out there? Thanks for all the above comments. G

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.