AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We know that most people posting here are usually requesting info or help with their projectors. Just curious on how many users out there NEVER had a problem with their projectors. I for one cannot fall in that category.

If possible, list your projector brand and model number.

·
Premium Member
17,216 Posts
For the most part, all of my projectors have been trouble free...
  • Marquee 8000 - no problems
  • Marquee 8500 - no problems, modding neckboards to use pristine Ampro tubes
  • Marquee 8500 - no problems
  • Barco 1208s/2 - no problems, replacing green tube
  • Ampro 3600 - pending project with neckboard, need remote
  • Ampro 3400 - no power supplies or input boards... um, that was a problem, so I put the tubes in M8500 above
  • NEC XG135 - no problems
  • Sony VPH1271 - no problems
  • ECP4101 - sold
  • ECP3101 - ground loop banding fixed by using a powerstrip with a 3rd prong, ACON erratic, plan to do Cary's fix, gave to 3-year-old neighbor
  • ECP3100 - "fungus" on red tube
  • ECP3100 - haven't played with it yet... might part out to use red tube with ECP above... or sell as a pair
  • NEC DP1200 - no problems
  • VPH1031 - no problems
  • VPH1031 - had temporary power down with loose board for a week

So (knock on wood) no parts that just went poof.

But you've got to keep good karma with these beasts. Hope I didn't jinx anything...

Note to CRT Spirits: this post was in praise, exultation, and as thanks for my good fortunes.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sony 1031Q (First Projector)- Mint, no problems. Keeping this one to back up the Barco.

Barco Graphics 800- Had to replace a FET, use it a lot, a couple minor glitches sometimes.

Sony 1031Q (Spare)- Originally bought for parts, but fixed and sold.

Sony 1030Q1 32Khz model- bought ($65) for parts, works fine.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
The only problem I have had with my PG6200 was self-inflicted.

I "upgraded" the Horizontal Output Transistor to a supposedly more reliable one, but it failed after a couple of months. Putting the original back in fixed it.

My other PG is dead as a dodo, but that's how I got it - it's had a hard life.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Only problem I had in one year of use was a misunderstanding of a setting.

Sony 1272Q

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Barco Data 808, solid performance and reliability.

Have used it for two years.

It's my first CRT PJ.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I'm going to jinx myself by voting here.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Marquee 8500. worked for maybe 10 movies after I got it. Then started shutting down after 20-30 mins or so. Been trying to get it solved for a little over 2 months now. Almost there I hope...

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
It's my opinion that CRT projectors never break. Then I woke up and went into my shop, and the nightmare started all over again.

:)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I had two problems with my 10PG, both self-inflicted. Was able to fix both problems myself and I'm no tech:)

XG1100 no problems.

Sony 1272 no problems.

Deron.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
NEC XG1100 -- No problems that couldn't be solved be re-fitting a loose connection.

Sony 1031Q -- no problems.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
You gotta admit, this thread is kind of a loaded question. Most here were directed to this forum to resolve a CRT issue and the bulk of the replies claim to have no issues. I for one answered major problems. No problems resolving the issues thanks to this forum. Think about it, even the slightest problem you've encountered with your projector, without the help of this forum, would have resulted in an expensive service call. If you've ever asked a question to resolve something then you should not have voted for number one.

Chip

·
Registered
676 Posts
88% - no or minor problems. ??

I know this is not a scientific poll by any means but does this seem in line with your own thinking? Most all CRTs in use by AVS members were used when placed into service by the member, many with no or little CRT projector experience. Are they designed that bullet and dummy proof?

Quote:
It seems like It's my opinion that CRT projectors never break. Then I woke up and went into my shop, and the nightmare started all over again.
There are only a handful of "Curts" around, maybe this is a confirming indication that most CRTs are built solidly and designed to perform under a wide range of environmental and use conditions and keep on ticking.

Then again the stats are skewed because all the QUITTERs aren't around any longer to vote and all the tinkerers who shocked themselves silly and smoked their projectors are too embarrsed to vote. :p

·
Registered
702 Posts
I said Minor problems, because overall that's what they were. The Sony machines I have are very solid, and I bought the Barco knowing that they had issues. But for me, replacing a FET and fixing some solder joints is only a minor problem.

Someone who's never worked with a crt projector and/or at least has some soldering and electronics experience, you'd better hope that you get lucky when you buy a crt, because unless it's new or very slightly used, you're going to have to fix or tweak something sooner or later.

And I don't count learning how to converge, operate and tweak the projector and kind of problem. I'm talking the kind of problems that involve removing the cover and soldering.

But overall, I'd still say the old tanks are more reliable than typical consumer electronics that are made these days. And working on older electronics technology is my job. A lot of the modern stuff is just what most people call disposable.

And I think some people have an easier time remembering when their crt breaks, because they are so big and heavy. No one remembers how many times their VCR, CD Player, DVD player etc. quit working. And if it was a standard TV that quit, it would usually just go to the curb and nobody would hear about it. With CRT projectors, you hear about the problems a lot more.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
NEC PG9 Xtra: seller misrepresented tube condition (ok, he chose extremely flattering pictures of the tubes) and they were burnt MUCH worse than I thought. Plus he did a crap job of packing it, and UPS dropped it several times cracking the case in several places. Sold to Curt for parts. Replaced with...

NEC XG852. 10k hrs on chassis, but B & G very clean and only a bit of wear on R. But something is wrong with the config (whether self-inflicted or not, I'm not sure) and I've been trying to get it working for a month.

So is there a voting category for "haven't managed to get one working yet -- but haven't given up yet!?!"

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
sony 1031Q, had since 99, or 2000, and not 1 problem at al! " knocking on wood now".

brickie

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
initial probelm with video board at point of purchase and which was resolved(thanx curt) and have had zero probelms with my 1271q for the last eighteen months............

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.