AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All- Not sure this belongs here but i tis for my HDTV, so here goes... I have VOOM and the box outputs on DVI, Component and coax simultaneously, so I want to mirror the output to the TV in bedroom so I can watch the Daily Show when I go to bed (wife loves the show but can't stay awake :) So I'm running a coax up to the bedroom tv. Here's my problem- when a well meaning friend was helping us move a year ago, he jammed the TV into a corner and snapped the coax threaded lead off the back off the TV. I took the case apart and the lead is integrated into and IC board and I called around and it was going to be more to repair than I paid for the TV. So now I have the coax going to a VCR, the VCR set for channel 3, and the RCA outputs of the VCR going to the back of TV. A little cluttered! Is there a modulator that will take an input from coax and output it as RCA jacks? Everything I've looked at does the opposite- RCA inputs and coax output. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! -Dan

·
Registered
63 Posts
What you are looking for is an RF DEmodulator. It is basically just an NTSC tuner and does the same thing your VCR is doing. Of course, the cost of a demodulator may still be more than the cost of fixing the TV. I think they run from about $50 and up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the advise.... I was hoping to get a cheap, small dealie like the RF Mods for RCA to coax....the VCR works fine, just pretty big and makes the whole set up pretty cluttered. I might move it under a bureau or something- don't really need it except as a pass through...... Thanks again!

-Dan

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Someone once made a stand-alone channel 3 demodulator in a tiny metal black box with a wall wart transformer. I bought one on eBay cheap and another identical unit was sold by someone else there at the same time, but I had never seen one before nor have I seen one since. The seller said in the description that he didn't know where it came from or who made it, and I disassembled it and found no clue either. It was constructed physically like maybe a Tru-Spec TA-15 amplifier, but it did not say Tru-Spec on either the case or the box.

I think that on eBay there is always someone selling an old, mechanical cable tuner box with demodulated, A/V outputs for $9.95. You could set it on channel 3 or 4 input to serve your needs.

Ten years ago, I had someone at the Taiwan Embassy try to find me a manufacurer of inexpensive, stand-alone demodulators but came up empty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.