AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After redoing our basement i decided it was time to upgrade our media center from our old 32 sony tube TV to something a little nicer. Im looking at getting a Epson 8350 projector but has some questions about a receiver for our new setup.

I need a receiver for:

HD cable box

HD xbox 360

Component DVD player (Xbox wont always be around)

Occasional HDMI computer

Future blu ray maybe?

As for speakers I was looking at the Yamaha NS-SP1800BL. But also want your input on this. I dont want to spend more than 300 on speakers. This is my first surround sound system so my standards arnt too high.

So in the end what reciever do you think would fit me best. The Denon AVR-1912 seems to have gotten great reviews but i think it might be over kill for me. What advatenges would this have over a cheaper one such as the Sony STRDH520.

Thanks,

The Sandman

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
What advantage? Better sound quality, although if you don't need the networking feature in the 1912, then look at the 1712 (see comparison of all Denon models by looking at the first few posts in the XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig). Also, note you can a good discount on Denon AVRs by "calling" AV Science or Electronics Expo as they only list MSRP on their websites.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^^ Thanks that Thread was really helpful. Ill have to think about it some more whether or not the networking features while cool are worth it. Final two questions then: 1) how much of a sound quality difference is there between the 1712 and 2112 if im going to get speakers that cost less then 300 will i even be able to notice a difference. 2) How useful are the firmware updates?

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
The sound quality between the 1712 and 2112 will be the same as they both use Audyssey MultiEQ XT calibration. You're paying for extra features on the 2112 such as analog to HDMI video conversion, 2 extra HDMI inputs, extra year warranty, and the ethernet port for streaming Pandora, Internet radio, etc. Also the Apple Airplay feature on th 2112.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.