AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched this one tonight. It's directed by Lasse Hallstrom (already a winner in my book, having directed Cider House Rules and What's Eating Gilbert Grape), and it's a beautiful piece of work. A little sentimental and a little predictable perhaps, but if so it didn't stop me from fully enjoying it.

It's set out in the high lonesome yonder somewhere, I forget where. Wisconson maybe? I won't explain any of the plot since it's better to just figure it out as you watch it. But it's a good story, well told. There's reams of pathos set off by some subtle humor. There are some things that aren't clear at all at first but they become so eventually.

Definitely a good couples movie. Not quite a chick flick (not that there's anything wrong with that) because of the two crusty old men, but clearly a drama and very much about human emotion and broken lives and redemption and all the usual things that might require a kleenex or two.

It's got two large type leads in Robert Redford and Morgan Freeman, along with Jennifer Lopez and Josh Lucas. And all the acting I thought was quite good, understated and real, particularly Redford and Freeman, as you'd imagine. J-Lo did quite a good job I thought, and she still looks dang good.

The sound and image was more than good enough for this type of flick, which is all about story and emotion. It didn't suck particularly or anything, I just was too much into the story to pay much attention. Nothing distracted me so it couldn't have been too bad.

I definitely recommend it. If you liked the above mentioned movies of Hallstrom, then you'd probably like this one equally well. It's one of those where, when the credits roll, you just want to sit there and enjoy the afterglow and ask someone what they're thinking.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Wisconsin? That was worth a chuckle. There ain't a lot of mountains or ranches in Wisconsin, fella.
Try Wyoming...

Other than that, good review. I think I liked it even more than you did. Reminded me a lot of Secondhand Lions. If you liked this one, give that one a try. (also not wisconsin-set in Texas.)

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/0

I saw this on cable a while back. It wasn't bad even with J-Lo in it.

larry

Oh man, what are you talking about!? J-Lo makes any movie good. that's the only reason I stumble onto random Lifetime and A&E movies with her in it and find myself watching that crap...

·
Registered
4,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey /forum/post/0

...It didn't suck particularly or anything, I just was too much into the story to pay much attention. Nothing distracted me so it couldn't have been too bad. I definitely recommend it...

C'mon Dean, if you liked it, don't apologize!

Saw this just a week or two ago myself, and it is one of the best films we've seen all year.

How can you miss with Freeman in good form, Redford never better (really), J-Lo, and Camryn Manheim (from The Practice). Becca Gardner gives a fine child's performance also. Not an untrue note anywhere. We gave it four thumbs up!

Rush out in a renting frenzy folks. Your spouses/SOs will be appreciative...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.