AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why isn't there a thread on this one? Maybe I just missed it but I did a pretty good search. It's one of the funniest and most politically incorrect movies I've seen in a while. All the characters are excellent, and the comic acting is all excellent. It's the story of a butter carving competition in the mid-west which one guy (and his very scheming and ambitious wife behind him) have won for the last 15 years straight, and what happens when their dominance is challenged in a number of ways.

Jennifer Garner plays the wife, and she just nails the role, I thought. She's an exec producer as well, so I guess she helped pushed it forward? Olivia Wilde pays a stripper the husband gets involved with, to some hilarious consequences, and she's great also, and stupidly hot. Yara Shahidi plays a young orphan girl who emerges as a challenger, and I thought she did an amazing job, particularly for someone so young.

The script is hilarious and just filled with ridiculously funny non-PC situations and lines.

Anyway, probably plenty of folks have seen it, but I felt it deserved a thread of its own, so other people might get turned on to it.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
I tried this one for 1/2 hour and popped it out.

Although I am a huge fan of JG, the characters were too annoying for me to care about their fates.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any flick can not seem like it's coming together if you just aren't in the right mood at the time. I can't imagine how somone wouldn't enjoy it, generally speaking.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey  /t/1468128/review-butter/0_60#post_23204577

Any flick can not seem like it's coming together if you just aren't in the right mood at the time. I can't imagine how somone wouldn't enjoy it, generally speaking.
Like I said: I didn't give a rat's a$$ about the characters enough to devote a couple of hours of my life to the endeavor....

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My point being, you may just not have given it enough time to figure out that you might have given a rat's a$$ about them. Not every movie hits its stride in the first half hour.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey  /t/1468128/review-butter/0_60#post_23206879

My point being, you may just not have given it enough time to figure out that you might have given a rat's a$$ about them. Not every movie hits its stride in the first half hour.
You have a point.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey  /t/1468128/review-butter#post_23200402

Why isn't there a thread on this one? Maybe I just missed it but I did a pretty good search. It's one of the funniest and most politically incorrect movies I've seen in a while. All the characters are excellent, and the comic acting is all excellent. It's the story of a butter carving competition in the mid-west which one guy (and his very scheming and ambitious wife behind him) have won for the last 15 years straight, and what happens when their dominance is challenged in a number of ways.

Jennifer Garner plays the wife, and she just nails the role, I thought. She's an exec producer as well, so I guess she helped pushed it forward? Olivia Wilde pays a stripper the husband gets involved with, to some hilarious consequences, and she's great also, and stupidly hot. Yara Shahidi plays a young orphan girl who emerges as a challenger, and I thought she did an amazing job, particularly for someone so young.

The script is hilarious and just filled with ridiculously funny non-PC situations and lines.

Anyway, probably plenty of folks have seen it, but I felt it deserved a thread of its own, so other people might get turned on to it.

Gave this a stream last night per your recommendation. Took a little while to get going but once they reached the competition it started rolling right along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey  /t/1468128/review-butter#post_23200402

Olivia Wilde pays a stripper the husband gets involved with, to some hilarious consequences, and she's great also, and stupidly hot.

Uhh YES. And where did Ashley Greene come from? What a combo! I enjoyed the other handful of bit parts played by some recognizable actors. Worth a watch for sure.

Dean, have you seen Extract? I think you'd enjoy it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.