AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yes, that implies that (I didn’t say that banding was caused by it). Running at native bit depth, so 10 bit for HEVC SDR/HDR patterns. I didn’t touch the HDMI range as it’s inside the Android settings. Not sure if it even applies to the Dune Player.
Ah true, thanks for checking!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your review.
How is the picture quality of the Dune HD Pro 4K II compared to the Popcorn Hour A-500?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was wondering the very same. At least for the SDR patterns it would be interesting. Sadly, I don’t have the A-500 anymore :(
I am looking to buy a hd dune player to watch 4k blu-ray over the lan network but I am wondering if image quality of the dune player is as good as the a-500 that I have using.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It’s gonna be a bit worse. There is some banding and inferior chroma upsampling. If you can actually see it in normal content depends on a lot of things and ultimately only you can be the judge of that.
Having said that, there is no Sigma Designs SoC for BT.202 and HDR so that you are forced to explore other options anyway. If you want the best picture quality possible you have to use a PC with madVR.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s gonna be a bit worse. There is some banding and inferior chroma upsampling. If you can actually see it in normal content depends on a lot of things and ultimately only you can be the judge of that.
Having said that, there is no Sigma Designs SoC for BT.202 and HDR so that you are forced to explore other options anyway. If you want the best picture quality possible you have to use a PC with madVR.
Thanks for your wonderful review. Can you confirm whether the banding problems you found with the Dune is also present on the new Zidoos based on RTD1619DR?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
When you set it to auto there is no VS10 processing taking place (at least when the file is non DV). I would expect that VS10 would do some processing when the file is for example DV profile 5 because there is no HDR10 base layer and it needs to be converted to HDR10 in order to be played on a non DV TV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you set it to auto there is no VS10 processing taking place (at least when the file is non DV). I would expect that VS10 would do some processing when the file is for example DV profile 5 because there is no HDR10 base layer and it needs to be converted to HDR10 in order to be played on a non DV TV.
Would you know why Zidoo doesn't always recommend VS10 instead of Auto (for HDR source with HDR non-DV display), in order to avoid the banding? Is it that it has some bugs to be worked out before they do so?

I stupidly ordered the Dune before your review (they won't accept return due to the banding), and am considering getting the Zidoo due the banding, and relegate the Dune to a secondary TV.

EDIT: I see on another forum that a helpful user reported that when VS10 is enabled, everything gets converted to HDR10/DV (depending upon whether TV has just HDR support), even the menus, and SDR content. Not something I really want, but how would you describe the quality of 1080p/4K SDR content under VS10? Also, do you see an advantage for DV content (like those in MKV) on an HDR display under VS10, as opposed to the same video with only HDR?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Would you know why Zidoo doesn't always recommend VS10 instead of Auto (for HDR source with HDR non-DV display), in order to avoid the banding? Is it that it has some bugs to be worked out before they do so?

I stupidly ordered the Dune before your review (they won't accept return due to the banding), and am considering getting the Zidoo due the banding, and relegate the Dune to a secondary TV.

EDIT: I see on another forum that a helpful user reported that when VS10 is enabled, everything gets converted to HDR10/DV (depending upon whether TV has just HDR support), even the menus, and SDR content. Not something I really want, but how would you describe the quality of 1080p/4K SDR content under VS10? Also, do you see an advantage for DV content (like those in MKV) on an HDR display under VS10, as opposed to the same video with only HDR?
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't test VS10 conversion side by side as of know. I'll include detailed pictures of that in my upcoming review.

Updated the review in order to reflect recent change with the latest FW.

·
Registered
1 Posts
200910_2300_r15 update causes my Dune to NOT be able to shut down. I press shut down - red light - 1 sec - blue light again, it's on. I can press turn off button for 20 times, Dune will still remain on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bonjour [USER = 9065569] Sledgehamma [/ USER],

merci pour votre analyse,

en ce qui concerne la qualité d'image par rapport au zidoo z9x vous préférez cette dune concernant les films UHD HDR? Ou le zidoo est au dessus avec son moteur vs10?

Merci

·
Registered
8 Posts
;)

Le nouveau moteur de traitement HDR peut traiter plus précisément les métadonnées statiques HDR10 (MaxFall, MaxCll) et place le zidoo au-dessus de la dune, je pense,

dommage que les zidoo soient moins stables que dune en terme de lecture vidéo .... sur mes z9s c'était un désastre, surtout en usb3 !!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Zidoo is better. Review should be done next weekend.
Hi Sledge,

Unfortunately, I plan to switch from my old Popcorn VTEN (no HDR, Youtube, 4K @ 60) to something with good video and good audio. For video - I have Shield but without HDR on YT. I am looking for something to play video files from discs (HDR, 4K, DVD-ISO, BD-ISO) and most importantly - audio (flac 6ch or SACD 6ch non ISO files DFF or else).
I think about DUNE 4K PRO II - it has YT with HDR, 4K @ 60fps .. but I don't know anything about multichannel audio player - is it suitable?

What do you suggest ?

greetings!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the honest review. Let me ask if watching a movie by Kodi on Sony TV, will the X1 chip or the MediaTek chip take care of decoding the image of the movie?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts