AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

This is my listening room. It 's like this for several years now. The room has acoustic treitments (ceiling, walls). Currently I am listening to the Dutch&Dutch 8C speakers and I'm used to listen to Dali Euphonia MS4 speakers with 4 JL-Audio E112 subwoofers and Lyngdorf amplification with RP and MiniDSP. I have had many speakers in my room - and I have been "around": listening to many setups, too much to count - and I am very excited to try the Dutch and Dutch 8C speakers.

In short these are active speakers and subwoofers all in one. I use their internal filters and DSP and the Lyngdorf as a pre-amp (without RP). I use a NUC streamer.

I have been reading some reviews about these speakers.. And this summons what's for me the most important about these speakers, and what makes them special:

Direct sound:
• The frequency response is flat with neutral balance; the speaker is not an editor of the sound.
• The loudspeaker covers the full bandwidth; bass extension is very important for emotional listener engagement.
• The overall frequency response is smooth, the driver response is smooth with minimized diffraction. The combination results in a non-fatiguing sound with audible micro detail.
• The loudspeaker is devoid of resonances or stored energy. Drivers are pistonic in a semi-open midrange enclosure. The entire enclosure is solid. Together this results in a neutral sound without any specific frequencies being dominant.
• Constant frequency response in a practical listening window is provided by means of a cardioid midrange and tweeter with constant directivity waveguide. The result is imaging precision with a wide sweet spot and natural tonal balance.
6moons: audioreviews Dutch & Dutch 8c

There are many reviews to be found on the internet about the Dutch & Dutch 8C's. They explore the technical design into depth. I am not going to do this again. I am not a tech-guy. I just like good sound. For me that is a razor-sharp focus, three dimensional sound and excellent bass and a clear uncolored mid. And I really like ultra-refinement when it comes to the high frequencies. This is why I adore the excellent softdome and ribbon tweeter of the former, well received top end DALI Euphonia speakers and why I use 4 JL-Audio subwoofers. I know the MS4 are well timed speakers and they are hard to beat.

However, I am very excited to listen to these speakers. I use Qobuz and over a 1000 albums on my NAS (WAV/FLAC). Music style: from opera to electro.

I have been listening to the D&D's for a week now and still it's too early to come to defnite conclusions, besides that the focus and clearity of these speakers is unheard of. Today I've been listening to a small selection of songs. Every song has "something special". I know these songs by heart.

Willow (Uk Single Edited Version)
Joan Armatrading

Paradise Circus
Massive Attack

A Day Like Today
Tom McRae

The Mother We Share (We Were Promised Jetpacks Remix / Bonus Track)
CHVRCHES

I Can't Wait
Nu Shooz

The Gift
Annie Lennox

Johnny and Mary
Todd Terje

Amused to death
track 1

Just A Little Lovin' (Album Version)
Shelby Lynne

Stars
The xx

The Jackal
Ronny Jordan

All in all, it's not only about a perfect sound, it's also about the sound that you like. But it is hard not to like these speakers since they are the most uncolored speakers that I've ever heard. All that you hear is the recording. Almost no room, and definitely no loudspeaker errors. And that's amazing. They are perfect imaging speakers with an extremely strong focus. The funny Q-sound effects on "Amused to Death" for example, are effortlessly being projected. What can I say. They sound much bigger then they are. The bass is extremely good.

Later today I've put my Dali Euphonia MS4 back, with the 4 JL E112 subwoofers. This setup in total is a strong competetor to the D&D 8C's. Tomorrow I'll go back to the D&D's. After this I'll try to come to a definite conclusion.

My "old" setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
I was on their website not too long ago, and I heard through the grapevine they are big fans of Dr. Toole's work. No surprise there given the speaker they designed. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on future models these guys put out, they look really good.

Thanks for the review. Nothing beats a solidly neutral speaker, and too few are. If I were in the market for speakers, these would be at the top of my list to audition for sure.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was on their website not too long ago, and I heard through the grapevine they are big fans of Dr. Toole's work. No surprise there given the speaker they designed. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on future models these guys put out, they look really good.

Thanks for the review. Nothing beats a solidly neutral speaker, and too few are. If I were in the market for speakers, these would be at the top of my list to audition for sure.

Yes, they are big fans of Dr. Toole's work :)

You're welcome. Do you use JBL speakers? Well designed speakers too :) The JBL 305P MKII were in my room for a day. Very enjoyable.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Your reviews are good, the speakers seem great. So how much do they cost in the US? It seems distribution is the biggest problem; I can't easily go listen to them nor get a pair to audition at home.

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
Yes, they are big fans of Dr. Toole's work :)

You're welcome. Do you use JBL speakers? Well designed speakers too :) The JBL 305P MKII were in my room for a day. Very enjoyable.
I have JBL M2's for my LR and JBL 708's and 705's for surrounds and center. These D&D's appear to be fantastic speakers and I wish the company great success. We need much more of this in the market.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thank you.

Your review is one that I've been reading very carefully - and people should definitely read yours before they read mine. Hats off.

Question: are the pictures loading properly? It seems the site is slow, or maybe something is wrong?

Cheers! The site seems to be fine now and the pictures load for me...

Martijn and folks at D&D have hit a home run with the 8c's!

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
So no one knows what the Dutch & Dutch 8c actually cost?

C'mon man, give it up!

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
When I do a google search I had multiple hits at $6250 per speaker.
Ouch. If that's true, I'd pass and find something I could tweak in close to it's output that cost a LOT less.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Great review! I also had a chance to review the Dutch and Dutch 8c
I found your review while researching these speakers on AudioScienceReview, and it is one of the best audio reviews I've ever read. Highly objective, with lots of measurements and just enough subjectivity for a little flavour. I wanted to read more of your reviews on the site, but when I click on your name, they tell me everything else without any option to see links to the rest of your repertoire. The site needs to have filtering options.

It would seem that the 8C's are the real deal and a magnificent feat of engineering and understanding of physics. If it's okay, I just want to post your phase vs response measurement, because it is truly remarkable. (I'll gladly remove it if you have a problem with it being posted here, just let me know)

Dutch & Dutch 8c phase.JPG

I don't know how many speakers have managed that. It's almost perfect.

I know this might be asking a lot, and I'm not sure if you still own the 8C's, but would you be able to measure some sweeps to find the max SPL before compression starts to kick in?

Have you heard the JBL M2's? If you could provide any kind of comparison, that would be amazing.

Also, do you live in Canada, or is that just the website?

Hopefully the hifi community gets some more exposure to what looks like an exceptional speaker for both studio and home use.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I wonder what they have in development at the moment? 10c, 12c, 15c?
I haven't seen anything online and it has been 2 years, but a 12c or 15c would be insanity! A 12c would seem most practical, since the box would be about 27"H x 15"W x 23"D, which would be in the ball park of 5.5cu/ft. Imagine the clean output on those...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I found your review while researching these speakers on AudioScienceReview, and it is one of the best audio reviews I've ever read. Highly objective, with lots of measurements and just enough subjectivity for a little flavour. I wanted to read more of your reviews on the site, but when I click on your name, they tell me everything else without any option to see links to the rest of your repertoire. The site needs to have filtering options.

It would seem that the 8C's are the real deal and a magnificent feat of engineering and understanding of physics. If it's okay, I just want to post your phase vs response measurement, because it is truly remarkable. (I'll gladly remove it if you have a problem with it being posted here, just let me know)

View attachment 3047112

I don't know how many speakers have managed that. It's almost perfect.

I know this might be asking a lot, and I'm not sure if you still own the 8C's, but would you be able to measure some sweeps to find the max SPL before compression starts to kick in?

Have you heard the JBL M2's? If you could provide any kind of comparison, that would be amazing.

Also, do you live in Canada, or is that just the website?

Hopefully the hifi community gets some more exposure to what looks like an exceptional speaker for both studio and home use.

Cheers!
Thanks for your kind words. You can read my other articles here. No worries on posting the chart. You should post the picture of how it was measured as it is even more impressive considering the obstacle course that the speakers were measured in :) Plus using REW's default 500ms window, so no gating. The cardioid and DSP works wonders on the 8c's.

Those were review speakers. I had them at the same time as the Kii THREE's in which you will also find a review with the link posted above.

Yes, I have heard the M2's multiple times. I did not have the cash at the time, so I bought the "poor" mans version:

They are all great sounding speakers and boils down to how much you want to spend and what your personal preference is. Mine is for large high efficiency 15" woofers coupled with a compression driver and waveguide, plus subs of course!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Thanks for your kind words. You can read my other articles here. No worries on posting the chart. You should post the picture of how it was measured as it is even more impressive considering the obstacle course that the speakers were measured in :) Plus using REW's default 500ms window, so no gating. The cardioid and DSP works wonders on the 8c's.

Those were review speakers. I had them at the same time as the Kii THREE's in which you will also find a review with the link posted above.

Yes, I have heard the M2's multiple times. I did not have the cash at the time, so I bought the "poor" mans version:

They are all great sounding speakers and boils down to how much you want to spend and what your personal preference is. Mine is for large high efficiency 15" woofers coupled with a compression driver and waveguide, plus subs of course!

Cheers!
Cheers! I went through a couple of your other reviews. I hope you do more of them. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Genelec S360, if you got a chance to review them.

Your room looks cool as hell. I know what you mean with large waveguides and 15" drivers. I would love if D&D made a larger version of the 8c.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts