AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my unit and wanted to post my impressions. This will not be an in-depth review, but I will update once I get a chance to really work the unit. I got the unit in anticipation of dropping cable.

It's an unobtrisive unit with very simple controls. I was able to use a make shift antenna to get the unit up and running in under 5 minutes. I was able to pull in 90% of the channels with my make shift antenna. The guide was up and running quickly. The guide was snappy and the video was 100% what I have been getting through cable. Changing channels so far has been quick ( > 1 second ) with sound often longer to catch up, but no longer than 2 seconds. Picture quality was excellent at 720p and can easly be changed from the remote or the front panel. The guide was intuative with full infotmation as well as a 1/4 sized image of the current program.

Overall I'm impressed and I will update as soon as I've had time to fully evaluate the unit for stability. I have no way to test the HDMI interface unfortunatly.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, a few updates. Stability is excellent, not a problem yet!

Guide data is captured when tuning a channel and it remebers as much guide data transmitted ( up to 7 days ) but does not autoscan for new guide data when the data runs out for a channel. For instance I have 3-4 days worth of channel guide data for one channel, but ony 24 hours for most others it appears to be station dependant. It remeber this between power cycles to.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
In my experience, and many others that I've read of around here, station guide data is completely erratic. So I wouldn't expect too much there. It sounds like your actually having MUCH better results than I've ever had up to this point with the tuners I've had, so be grateful.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't blane the humax, but the stations that are brodcasting limited and often incorrect guide data. Overall my satisfaction with the unit has been very high.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love my HUMAX, I also have an RS Accurian which does well too. Am planning on getting another HFA100 :)

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsr2002
I love my HUMAX, I also have an RS Accurian which does well too. Am planning on getting another HFA100 :)
I have the Accurian, also - which of the two would you say is more sensitive?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another in the forum said that the humax was good for DX'ers ( long distance reception ) in that it held a marginal signal better than the others that he had. Take this statement as the hearsay that is it since I can't find the original post.

Humax appears to get the proper time, but I have to manually set daylight savings since auto does not work for me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Made an interesting discovery. It seems that if you turn off the Humax, it will automatically collect guide data. So if I turn it off when I'm done watching TV for the evening, the guide data for the next day will be there in the morning.

Nice!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet!

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdomini
Made an interesting discovery. It seems that if you turn off the Humax, it will automatically collect guide data. So if I turn it off when I'm done watching TV for the evening, the guide data for the next day will be there in the morning.

Nice!
Hey, jm. So tell me, how does this tuner compare in reception compared to all the other ones you've tried (especially the ProBrand/Accurian)? How's the sensitivity, picture quality, zoom mode and other features?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski
I have the Accurian, also - which of the two would you say is more sensitive?
I would have to say the HUMAX. :) Plus it scans for channels all the time, even when the unit is off. :D I can pick up staions in Houston, TX on certain nights and pick it up with 40% signal.

·
Registered
544 Posts
When I bought this unit, I had problems with locking up. Could not turn off/on, change channels, nothing. Had to unplug and replug.

I called Humax and their customer service is awesome. They immediately sent me another one.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbios
So did the new one work right? Or have you not received it yet?
Here's the story...they sent me one and it froze up when I ran the scan. I called them and they immediately sent me another one.

The next one worked fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can anyone confirm that this unit will received unencrypted QAM local HD channels off cable? I can't receive OTA signals, but I have basic cable service that others have told me will carry the local HD channels unencrypted. Thanks.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Does anyone know if Humax is supplying a software/firmware upgrade the help get rid of the problem with the HFA 100 locking up?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had my HFA100 a couple weeks and it started the lock up thing the first day, but would only lock up about once per day. About a week ago it started locking up to the point it was unusable and I was about to ship it. As a last effort I put in a ground block outside before the coax enters the house with a heavy solid wire going directly to the mains earth rod(this is probably code anyway) and it cured the lock up problem for me.

Actually, the STB still locked up right after I installed the ground block but after the STB sat power off overnight it hasn't locked up since.

Scott

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.