AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to point people to a movie called "Lovely and Amazing", which is a movie by the same woman who directed a movie I reviewed a little while back Walking and Talking , which I really enjoyed a lot. This one is similar in feel, i.e. quiet, simple, and contemplative. It also stars Catherine Keener as well, who again has a non-Ice ***** role, which is nice to see for her. It also starred an interesting young lady named Emily Mortimer, who I'd never seen before, but who really is gorgeous and loveable in this film.

This one is about a relatively wealthy mother who's husband has died, her two grown daughters and their families, and a young black girl that she adopted. It's very quirky and funny, but also quite sad and contemplative. It's simply made, with no f/x, no fancy camera moves, etc..., on a very small budget. But, it proves yet again that if you have your heart in it, a good story, and good actors who trust you, you can make a very good, human-scale film.

It looks good enough that it doesn't distract from the experience, and the sound is fine for a pure talkie sort of film. There are a small set of interviews with the director and actors, but no other extras.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Thanks for the review- it also got a good mention on DVDFile.com, so I definitely want to check it out!!

Fred

·
Registered
988 Posts
Thanks, Dean, for the review. I've got it on top of my HTPC, having rented it from BB a few days ago, but not watched yet (my BB has the Netflix-like unlimited rental deal). It looked interesting but I hadn't heard much about it, so I'm now looking forward to it. Except for some of the big releases, it's good to hear comments about other DVDs becoming available.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, this one is own HBO-HD this week, so it might be a good one to get on tape or at least to watch if you can't tape it.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
It might be a very good movie, but the title alone sure is off-putting. A chick flick title if there ever was one.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Well, it is a "chick flick" (sort of) so the title is appropriate. Anyway good little movie worth checking out if you've got nothing on tap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.