AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See Attached pic for view of this new case.

Some Random Impressions:
  • Materials used in constructing the case are first rate. The case appears to be laser cut from sheet metal. This is a very well built case and it weighs a ton.
  • PSI does not include any fill plates for open holes in the rear of the case. Thankfully, the holes all conform to the ATX standard so they are easily filled by standard plates. But, for $250 w/o power supply this is an oversight.
  • Most difficult portion of installation was with DVD drive. Finally figured out, thanks to the guys at PSI, that the drive mounting bracket needed to be moved a hair along with my DVD drive. I will provide pics of finished product in another post.
  • IR window built into case under DVD tray slot is perfectly situated for IRman. I simply used some double sided tape and put the IRman right behind the window! It works perfectly! I pulled the serial cable out of one of the emnpty holes in case and snipped around it with fill plate. Even sleeker install would be to have a serial port that stays inside case and connects to a serial header on MB. (PSI? Hello?)
  • 2-pin power button LED would not work anywhere on my ASUS MB! PSI states that the (more common) 3 pin LEDs are "too bright" for HT application. I requested a 3-pin from them... not holding my breath... but for now this potentially nice feature is wasted.
  • This case has the coolest 3.5" floppy configuration. You install your floppy vertically at the front of the case. I figured for $12 why not go ahead and put one in... you never know...
  • The case was shipped in the most well padded case box I have ever seen! I would feel totally comfortable shipping my completely finished HTPC in this same box.
  • The case is not "easy access". Twelve (12) screws hold the case to the frame and requre an allen wrench (which is provided) for removal.

More to follow...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
See additional pics attached to this message.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Graphics on case are very tasteful and nice IMHO. Non HT enthusiast friends were surpised that it was actually a computer! So if your goal is to get a very Hi-End component look/feel from you HTPC, then I would strongly consider this case.

Also I realize that none of my pictures that I have posted show the aluminum plate (... well it's more like an aluminum bar actually :) ) that covers the DVD drive tray door. Once installed properly, it does sit flush with the case and gives a very, very nice look.

Be warned... you must remove both the face plate and the tray's face plate before installing your DVD drive in this case.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
PSI really look to be making nice items....

I think they should look at a VFD as well, but the difference between now and a couple of years ago in case choices is amazing..

·
Registered
378 Posts
Eric,

Just bought their previous case (the HTCC 1.02) a week ago -- didn't realize a new one was coming out. It looks to me like the basic case in back is nearly identical, but with a new face plate. Tne only difference I can see from the pics is the 1.02 only has a single wide rectangular opening in the back where the serial ports, keyboard connectors come out. THe Nexus has a second one (what is that good for??)

A couple of questions, as you are further along in assembly than I.

1) You mention standard ATX "fill plates". I am using an ASUS P4B266 Mobo. Where did you get the fill plate for your ASUS?

2) Despite a ton of room in this case, there is no mount for a case fan. I bought a Zalman ST300BLP power supply and a Zalman flower cooler for the 1.6A GHz P4. I am wrestling with whether I need to install a case fan and where to do it. Does the Nexus have a case fan opening?

3) What DVD-ROM did you buy? I bought a black Lite-On DVD based on recommends for it being quiet. The drive tray dies not appear to fit through the center slot, in my first fitting attempts. Do I need to permanently remove the front edge of the tray and replace it with the sticky-taped metal fill plate? That doesn't seem right, as some of the tape would be exposed on the inside to collect dust. Or do I need to buy a different drive?

Mnay thanks to you or any others who may have experience with this case line. I suppose I should drop PSI a line as well....

Ken

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phred: I agree, a VFD option would be nice, although I doubt that I would have opted for it.

Ken:

The second rectangular opening is for an AV breakout box supplied by "Tarantec" (spelling?). I'm using M-Audio Delta 410 so this opening was useless to me. I suppose if somebody was going to use the SB Audigy Platinum they could put that breakout box in this opening as well.

You can get the fill plates from any computer store that builds their own computers. They usually have a ton laying around and will probably just give them to you. The ASUS uses a standard ATX layout of their I/O ports so a standard I/O port fill plate will work fine. PSI didn't ship ANY plates, so make sure you get some for the empty PCI slots as well. If no computer stores are near you, then online purchase is an option. I suggested to Eric Lang at PSI that they begin to include these as their cost would be

·
Registered
187 Posts
I recieved a case from PSI two weeks ago. I seemed to have recieved a bad apple (it doesn't fit together), and they said they'd replace it, but they haven't specified when I can expect the replacement...

Which is a shame, because the faceplate is pretty impressive, at 1cm thick.

Also, the silkscreening looks like a new addition - I don't have that. Did you pay extra for that?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I didn't pay extra for the silkscreening (I don't think :) ). This is a new model. In fact, I think Eric L. told me that I was the first retail buyer of this unit.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. I had to muscle the cover and case to line up the holes to insert the screws. In fact, no matter how much effort, not all of the screws were able to be inserted -- but the case is stable enough with the 8 (!) screws out of the 12 I managed to install. I agree that this is a design error.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't really like the thought of having to sit on my case to make the damn screw holes line up. I managed to get the front 3 screws inserted, but the back and right sides are totally out of line, so not stability for me.

I suggested they use permanent cross beams inside the case, rather than using the cover for structural stbility.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree their are some major issues with both the design and implementation of this case. In my situtation, I'm satisfied with the outcome, imperfect as it may be. My biggest issue is not:

1. The fact that the darn screw holes don't line up in 25% of the holes

2. The fact that no fill plates were provided for the I/O PCI slots

3. The fact that their customer service is a bit... lacking.

It's simply that I want my freaking power LED to function.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I, too, just received my PSI case. I must say what a beauty it is. I chose

the 1.02 in Black. I also had several issues, but these were easily solved

with a handy bit of drilling:

1 - Thru-holes in case front (to which bolts thru faceplate are inserted)

were drilled too small. I simply "reamed" them out a bit. I didn't

worry about messing up the nice finish as the metal being drilled

is behind the faceplate.

2 - The 12 screws holding on the cover are an unfotunate choice. The

screws require a very small allen (2mm?) that tore up my hands...

3 - As others have mentioned, the holes seemed top be slightly off.

I finally figured out what must have happened. The cover was

shipped reversed (i.e. with the airvents on the same side as the

Power Supply). The holes lines up when the cover was put on

backwards (not a good idea!). So, out came the drill again. This

time, it was a lot more difficult. I had to use a much smaller bit,

the case cover seems to be a much harder material, and, most

importantly, if I messed up, I would deface the external appearance

of my beautiful HTPC case.

4 - That "extra hole" on the back could definately hold a 5.25" drive or

any other similarly sized case. I had it in mind to affix the breakout

box that came with my Soyo Fire Dragon MB (1394, USB 3 & 4, and

SmartCard reader). Alas, the CPU Fan on my Northwood Intel CPU

has other ideas... I just put a plate over it and will live without the

extra connections...

5 - The small pin-hole on the face to allow pressing the EJECT button on

the DVD drive didn't even come close to lining up with my Samsung

combo drive - no matter what I do. And I really don't like the idea

of fumbling with a straightened paper clip and scratching the face

trying to get it thru the hole. I just kept the case cover off and the

DVD drive "loose" while I was installing XP (i.e. before S/W can be

used to EJECT).

All that said, I am extremely happy with the result and can recommend the

PSI case highly. Be prepared to fiddle quite a bit to get things to "fit"

(e.g. removing both the facing and tray cover on the DVD drive). But the

reward is worth all the trouble...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PSI= Projector Specs Inc. (I think the I is for Inc. anyway :) )

www.projectorspecs.com

They didin't have my case posted on their website the last time I looked, and their web-store has been down awhile.

You're gonna have to work if you want to use one of their cases!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ELMitz
I agree their are some major issues with both the design and implementation of this case. In my situtation, I'm satisfied with the outcome, imperfect as it may be. My biggest issue is not:

1. The fact that the darn screw holes don't line up in 25% of the holes

2. The fact that no fill plates were provided for the I/O PCI slots

3. The fact that their customer service is a bit... lacking.

It's simply that I want my freaking power LED to function.
Unfortunatly for me, my case came with a few defects, for instance, the frontplate won't sit on flush the front, and none of the rear screwholes line up, so the rear just droops out the back.

If they fixed those problems for me, I'd be a happy man. In the mean time the case just sits of my shelf empty...

Still waiting for a replacement, but dealing with a company in the US whilst living in the UK has its pitfalls.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My faceplate is different than the 1.02's, so I can't comment.

When I called them they assured me that of the 100 or so they had sold that there were "NO" issues with their cases and that I must have gotten a lemon. (I'm paraphrasing)

I get the impression that they are not that interested in implementing the changes that have been suggested on AVS to imporve their cases -- namely the LED. Oh well.... if everything worked without a hitch this hobby probably wouldn't be as much fun :) .

·
Registered
187 Posts
You have the exact same same case as me, I seem to have a hybrid case without the silkscreening. And we both had similarish problems (mine slightly more serious) as well, it seems.

They have just asked me to return the case for replacement (what joy, shipping a 15kg package back to the US is not cheap), and I'm wondering, maybe I ought to ask for a refund and call it quits.

Let's just say, I'm somewhat dissappointed. I had great expectations for this case...

·
Registered
98 Posts
From reading this thread, I can't help but wonder if anyone is actually happy with the PSI case.

I agree that it does look great, and even tho I just got my Coolermaster ATC600SX1, I probably would have sprung for one of these for the flexibility to install a full-ATX board, but there's obviously build quality issues with all of the PSI cases.

I'd think that, if anyone from PSI is lurking in here, they'd be well served to listen to all of the issues raised in this thread and proactively resolve them to everyone's satisfaction. That'd probably be as good a PR move as building a good product to begin with. Saying that this hobby wouldn't be as much fun if everything worked perfectly might be partly true, but suppliers who help to resolve problems add to the fun. Suppliers who build faulty products and then don't rectify the issues are merely frustrating.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jahesh: My comment on "fun" was with tongue firmly planted in cheek. I agree with you 100%

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.