AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am looking to build a Home Theater. Dimensions of the place are: Height 14 feet, Width 12.1 feet, Length 16.3 feet. I read that room dimensions are very important to ensure effective acoustics, Sepmeyer golden rule etc. As I am doing it by myself, I am looking to get some insights from this forum, and also refer to other resources. Has anyone tried the below DIY Guide? I know it's pretty cheap, but I want to make sure I follow the right resource as I build my first home theater. Any insight/help appreciate. Thanks.

http://www.diymovierooms.com/

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,708 Posts
I just took a quick look, I couldn't find anything on sound isolation or room acoustics (in room acoustic treatments), two very critical elements in a top performing Home theater.

He lists sound containment as a feature and has a link to a picture of his insulation - rookie mistake

The 100 inch screen looked awfully small for movie watching in 2.35 format for a two row theater (I personally made the same mistake in my first theater), and his riser probably isn't high enough for a correct size. He didn't use an acoustically transparent screen and as a result his speaker placement is very poor.

I think the free version is worth every penny you pay. It is basically a rookie documenting everything he did in building his first theater. You can do better.

There is more information in any one of several build threads here on the forum. Look at the Dark Night project and the Cinemar theater, maybe read through my projects listed in my signature.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts