Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting!

My NEC LT-150 just arrived today. Set it up took me around 30 mins and I was able to have the rest of date checking out the quality of this little thing.

I *NEVER* saw its quality before I confirmed my order with Jason in AVS as I am very confident and so believe in many of the friends' opinion here in AVS. This time, it prove this right again! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

First of all, my setup. I am using a HTPC with a Radeon card and connect to the LT-150 using VGA cable. First of all, I adjust the brightness and contrast using AVIA disc. Unfortunately, I found that I cannot adjust the colour or Hue when I use the RGB input. Anybody has a workaround for that?

Here is what I like about the LT-150 :

1. Colour : the colour is so good that I really think it come very close to 3-tube CRT. I remember someone said that the colour from a DLP projector is worse than that from LCD. I think I totally disagree with this. The basic colour tone is just very eye-candy. I own a LCD projector before and I always complain about its dull colour tune. Now, with the LT-150, it just perfect! Scene from LOST IN SPACE and TOY STORY 2 are really really so rich in colour that it stuck me on watching them continuously. I don't see the chroma buy in the title of Toy Story 2.

2. Resolution : As advise by many friends here in AVS, I run the HTPC with the native resolution of the LT-150, i.e. 1024 x 768 (60Hz). I can't believe I could see that kind of clariy picture from a projector. The picture is so crispy yet has a silky tune which make it very smooth.

3. Grey Scale : One of the moving force for me to jump from LCD to DLP is the poor representation of grey scale from the LCD unit. Now, with DLP, it is much more satisfy. Although still not as good as CRT but it is very close. At least it don't look like adding a layer of silk on the picture for the black. It is definitely up to my expectation.

Here is what I DON'T Like about the LT-150

1. Rainbow : I am quite sensitive to rainbow. Prior to this, I have seen the Seleco HT200 and I think there is much less rainbow in Seleco than this LT-150. At the very first moment when I fire up the DLP projector, I could see the rainbow. However, after watching for sometime, maybe I get used to it and find it less disturbing to me.

2. Crawling : I don't know what is the right terms to describe this effect but I think this is what Li On complaining about. Yes, it is there and is obvious with moving object. It like those visual components are all moving by itself like a worm. Like those dithering effect for GIF file. However, with a reasonable viewing distance, it is quite minimised and again, I can live with that.

3. Fan Noise : the fan noise is higher than I expect. It come quite close to my previous LCD projector. In addition, I find this unit is running quite hot!

4. No Zoom : this could be very inconvenient if you do not plan for the place for it in advance.

In conclusion, this unit is up to my expectation and I am very glad that I own it. It definitely worth this price tag. If you want to come closer to CRT picture quality but can't affort the dollars nor the space, I think this is a very good choice! However, do see it for yourselves for the rainbow and artifact before you confirmed it (although I didn't do it ...)

This unit do has its fault but, hey, with around HKD20,000, I don't think I can find any other product that could even come close to this one. (Maybe I am too prejutice but I HATE LCD projector).

For the friends in Hong Kong, I definitely recommend you contact Jason in AVS if you want to buy one. I confirm my order last Tuesday and I get it today (Sunday). It's quite fast and he always reply my queries.

Enjoy

·
Registered
38 Posts
sounds great ... can you confirm if you have international warranty for this NEC projector

Also, what's the best way to reach the person that you mentioned, Jason from AV ? I am in Singapore and would like to get one LT150

thanks

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Hi phrsd230,

Crawling and dithering are DIFFERENT problems. Turn off White Segment will solve the crawling. But there's NO way to fix the dithering.

Email me to arrange visiting to both party! I can bring a HDTV setup to test on your LT150. Then you'll know the REAL power of the little wonder. IMO the LT150 in HD looks WAY better then the new Sony 11HT...

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
87 Posts
The color temperature can be adjusted on the LT150 on the RGB input.

Access the advanced menu on the LT150 and in one of the submenus is an option for adjusting the WHITE BALANCE.

There you will find RGB contrast and brightness controls for each color.

Thomas

·
Registered
950 Posts
From what I've read, I'm glad I purchased a CI scaler. The scaler menu can adjust the color saturation while using RGB, along H/V detail, and tint/hue.

Maybe external scalers offer more options??

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Li On,

Thank for the offering! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Let's arrange it later.

I think I understand what you dislike about this projector because when I sit quite close to it, frankly speaking, the picture has quite a lot of artifact. However, with a reasonable distance, the picture is perfect with reference to its price tag.

Do you know how I can adjust the colour when using RGB input from a HTPC with Radeon card? Thank in advance for your info.

Regards

PHRSD230

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by phrsd230:
Do you know how I can adjust the colour when using RGB input from a HTPC with Radeon card? Thank in advance for your info.

Regards

PHRSD230
No, you can't adjust color saturation with a Radeon HTPC. You can only do minor color tonal fine tune with white balance control of the LT150. Actually, I suggest a GeForce card to go with the LT150 for the overlay control inside the display driver.

regards,

Li On

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.