AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started using my Princeton Graphics HDT-2000 HDTV receiver. The scaler does a great job in upconverting 480i cable TV to 1080i. It looks almost as sharp as 480i OTA programs that have been upconverted to 1080i and broadcast on the networks' digital channels.

I am having one problem. When I input a composite signal from my VCR, the output from the RGBHV terminal to my Sampo 34WHD5 monitor produces an image that is not stable. The image moves up and down in a jittery fashion. Can anyone think of why this might occur and how I might stabilize the image?

The PG HDT-2000 has some neat features including zoom and freeze frame.The zoom feature only works with an HD signal, however the freeze frame will work with any signal source including cable TV. Previously I could not get NBC with my Silver Sensor antenna and RCA DTC-100 due to multi-path interference, but the PG HDT-2000 picks up the station very well.

[This message has been edited by PeteratMars (edited 08-12-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
I'm not sure why more people are not interested in this STB. It could be due to Princeton doing such a poor job of getting it out on the schedule they gave or the fact that there is still no info at the PG site. After there DVD player debacle , I think a lot of people thought this was vapor-ware.

I've learned more about it from you than I have from them & I have been asking!! I like the ability to upscale from other sources to 1080I & even more impressed that you think it does it well. Is there one S-Video input , One Composite Input, & two RF coax inputs? Thanks, Mark

[This message has been edited by damon (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there is one S-Video input, one composite Input, and two RF coax inputs. In addition to the RGBHV output, there is also a Y/Yb/Pr output. Finally there is an RS-232 connector for enabling a PC connection to do a software upgrade since there is no way to do a satellite upgrade. That's good since I don't have DirecTV and never was able to upgrade the software on my DTC-100. Finally it's easier to change channels manually on the PG HDT-2000 by entering individual channel numbers than doing so on the DTC-100. The number keys are easier to operate and you don't have to enter "OK" to make the change.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Peter,

Would you say that the HDT2000 has a better picture quality than the RCA DTC100? Is the tuner faster than the DTC100?

Any negatives like loud fan noise(if it has one), runs hot, etc.

Thanks, Craig

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tell me please! Will the Princeton Graphics scale the output of a DVD player to 1080I ?

------------------

Fletch

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,209 Posts
Where did you buy the unit? I'm interested if it can scale 480i DVD to 1080i and how good it looks. My projector can accept a 1080i input (and a 540p input) but not a 480p input (e.g., from a progressive DVD player).

Does anyone have a link to specs on this unit? I would have looked at the manufacturer's site but the poster says it isn't on there...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by CraigR:
Peter,

Would you say that the HDT2000 has a better picture quality than the RCA DTC100? Is the tuner faster than the DTC100?

Any negatives like loud fan noise(if it has one), runs hot, etc.
It appears that the HD picture quality is the same for both the HDT2000 and the DTC-100. The difference that I see is in the upconversion from 480i to 1080i. There the picture quality appears significantly better on the HDT2000. It's very quiet. You have to put your ear within an inch away to hear what sounds like a very small fan. It runs warm but not hot and has plenty of ventilation holes. The audio output doesn't appear as strong as the DTC-100. I have to crank the Sampo's volume control to a higher level with the HDT-2000 to get the same loudness of sound. The loudness is sufficient, but I haven't been able to irritate my neighbors yet. Maybe I'm doing something wrong that will become apparent in the next few days. One thing I miss is the signal "strength" numerical meter. There's a bar graph display but I prefer seeing the error rate values from 1 to 99. The HDT-2000 is smaller than the DTC-100 and feels lighter.

I solved my problem of not being able to view stable pictures from my VCR. Rather than connecting the VCR's video output directly to the HDT-2000's composite input, I connect the VCR to my VCD's composite input and then connect the VCD's composite output to the HDT-2000's

composite input. That gives a great picture.

[This message has been edited by PeteratMars (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dfletch:
Tell me please! Will the Princeton Graphics scale the output of a DVD player to 1080I ?
I believe that it outputs a 1080i signal for all input sources including a DVD player. I have a progressive scan DVD player and don't notice much difference between connecting the DVD player directly to the Y,Pb,Pr input on my monitor versus connecting the player first to the composite input of the HDT-2000 and then from the HDT-2000's output to the Y,Pb,Pr monitor input. Both ways look great.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by WynsWrld98:
Where did you buy the unit? I'm interested if it can scale 480i DVD to 1080i and how good it looks. My projector can accept a 1080i input (and a 540p input) but not a 480p input (e.g., from a progressive DVD player).
I bought it from TigerDirect.com

I have a 480p DVD player.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PeteratMars:
It appears that the HD picture quality is the same for both the HDT2000 and the DTC-100. The difference that I see is in the upconversion from 480i to 1080i. There the picture quality appears significantly better on the HDT2000. It's very quiet. You have to put your ear within an inch away to hear what sounds like a very small fan. It runs warm but not hot and has plenty of ventilation holes. The audio output doesn't appear as strong as the DTC-100. I have to crank the Sampo's volume control to a higher level with the HDT-2000 to get the same loudness of sound. The loudness is sufficient, but I haven't been able to irritate my neighbors yet. Maybe I'm doing something wrong that will become apparent in the next few days. One thing I miss is the signal "strength" numerical meter. There's a bar graph display but I prefer seeing the error rate values from 1 to 99. The HDT-2000 is smaller than the DTC-100 and feels lighter.

[This message has been edited by PeteratMars (edited 08-13-2001).]
Peter,

It sounds good enough for me. I just placed an order for one with Phillip at TigerDirect.com ( 877-998-8502 ). Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I didn't even know that this thing was finally released. Having been burned (well, not burned, but heated up waiting) for the DVD player, I was quicker about ruling the PG HD out. Bought a Samsung T-150.

Can you characterize the multi-path capabilities of this unit? Can you receive stations that were difficult with other units?

TIA,

Claude

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ClaudeD:

Can you characterize the multi-path capabilities of this unit? Can you receive stations that were difficult with other units?
I did pick up NBC with the HDT-2000 where before I could not. That's not to say that other people will experience superior results. It probably would be a good idea to wait for other people to talk about their experience before characterizing how well the receiver overcomes multi-path interference.

I managed to solve my sound problem. The remote control for the HDT-2000 has its own volume control. I was trying to max out the volume with the remote on my HD monitor when all the time the remote on the HDT-2000 was cranked up only half way (duh). When I raise the volume on both remotes, I can cause some serious thunder!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Peter,

Can you comment on the stretch modes of the HDT-2000 Receiver. In particular, how many options does the receiver have to stretch 4:3 programming to fill the screen of a 16:9 HDTV? Are there any other options other than a linear stretch, zoom (top and bottom cropped), 4:3 (regular with black or grey sidebars)?

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,209 Posts
Does anyone have a link to more detailed specs on this unit and/or perhaps a user manual in PDF format?? TigerDirect's site gives next to no info and someone above said Princeton Graphics site doesn't even have it on there so how do they expect to sell these? Is the marketing dept. asleep at PG?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Sabin:
Peter,

Can you comment on the stretch modes of the HDT-2000 Receiver. In particular, how many options does the receiver have to stretch 4:3 programming to fill the screen of a 16:9 HDTV? Are there any other options other than a linear stretch, zoom (top and bottom cropped), 4:3 (regular with black or grey sidebars)?
Andrew, the video setup allows one to choose either 4:3

or 16:9 for SDTV programs. HD programs are fixed at 16:9.

To adjust HD, one can use the monitor's remote for

horizontal/vertical size and phase adjustments.

The big surprise to me is how well cable TV looks with this receiver. I like to watch HD programming as much as anyone but there are large blocks of time when cable is the only game in town (not to mention "must see" channels that have never heard of 1080i). For those times, the 1080i upconversion puts cable in a whole new light.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Peter,

First of I want to thank you for your review, I have been looking for something like this for a while. I have one question though, does the STB have an Optical Digital Output for OTA HDTV signals?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
So no way to switch the gray bars to black, huh? If so, that sucks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I can't believe there isn't more info available on this product!! Unbelievable!

Does it do 720p? If you get a chance could you post a list of features and specs (copied from the box or manual)? PLEASE?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.