AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the Matrix Trilogy collection yesterday from Amazon, and was pleased to see that the boxes and discs were intact in exactly the way they were intended to be packed. Before I go into my review and few nits, let me give some background info:

About 5 months ago I picked up a PS3 and joined the format neutral crowd. Since I don't have an HDMI receiver, but I do have TrueHD capability through analog inputs, initially I was buying everything that was available on both platforms only on HD DVD. Soon I realized that I was having a lot of problems with audio dropouts, screen freezes, and even startup issues with HD DVD, and none of these problems were present (that hadn't been fixed by firmware updates) on my PS3 blu-ray player. Add to this that terrible dry spell on HD DVD in Feb-March and I started to switch exclusively to buying Blu-Ray. Within the last month or so, I've noticed HD DVD really making a resurgence, and with the release of the Matrix I realized I couldn't wait until Blu-Ray gets their act together with the Java business. So I decided to buy my first HD DVD in about 3-4 months, having the highest hopes.

Unfortunately, within the first 3 minutes, I was again disappointed by the Matrix. At 2:50 into the movie, my HD-A1 froze for about 3 second, then continued on, only the audio was out of sync from then on. So I would have to bookmark, stop, hit play, wait through the intro FBI message and such, then seek to the bookmark, and continue. It continued this way without a problem until about 15 minutes into the movie, when the same thing happened again. Then again 2-3 minutes after that. Finally from this point I was in the clear - it never happened throughout the rest of the movie. I don't have to tell you how supremely frustrating this is when you're psyched to watch a premier film like the Matrix in glorious HD.

As for the movie itself, I was completely blown away. All of the reviews are correct (of course). The picture is just phenomenal, extremely crisp in nearly all shots, despite how dark the movie is. Characters just seem to jump out at you from the screen. You can see the pores on Reeves face and the subtle shade from his shave, or the small pockmark scars on Fishburns face. It was especially impressive during the few CGI scenes (with the sentinals); the detail was just unbelievable, and even with so much detailed motion being shown, I caught absolutely no compression artifacts. The ONLY area throughout the entire movie that I caught any kind of a blemish was in a VERY dark scene, when they were trying to hide from the sentinal that was hunting them. Fishburn's face is shrouded in darkness, and during those few seconds, you can see quite a bit of noise in the image. I'm almost positive that this is probably on the original, however, so the transfer shouldn't be faulted.

The sound was phenomenal as well in TrueHD. I will say I didn't detect as much detail or separation as in Batman Begins, but then that's pretty tough to top. What I DID notice was that they seemed to tighten up the LFE quite a bit. In my SD DVD copy, I get a LOT of "boominess" out of my sub (and I have a very tight sub), and this was greatly improved upon. I notice more extension in the bass as well. Aurally, the 10 minutes of film from the minigun attack on the agents through the helicopter crash into the building is as close as I get to heaven.

Overall, this was a phenomenal experience, and I can't wait to view the other two movies. I'm not one of the 90% (the number I've heard touted) that hated all but the first installment. Granted, they weren't AS original, but the end of Reloaded has a neat twist to it. Hopefully my audio problem will go away for these.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine did not glitch at all A1 with the latest firmware. Whenever I had a glitch previously I would just pause and play. Did you try to generate the glitch at 2:50 again? I chapter forward/chapter back to avoid stopping/view fbi screen.

Speaking of..first time I have seen the "FIVE YEARS IN A FEDERAL PRISON" test.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper /forum/post/0

I'm sorry about your audio problem. The obvious question to ask is. What firmware are you running on your A1??? if you're running an earlier firmware I would update to 2.2.

Ah, great point. I forgot. I'm honestly not sure what the version is, but I've made one update since 2.0, so maybe I'm using 2.1? Have they made changes that impact playback since then? Thanks for the tip! I'll try this when I get home.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaic /forum/post/0

Mine did not glitch at all A1 with the latest firmware. Whenever I had a glitch previously I would just pause and play. Did you try to generate the glitch at 2:50 again? I chapter forward/chapter back to avoid stopping/view fbi screen.

Speaking of..first time I have seen the "FIVE YEARS IN A FEDERAL PRISON" test.

I did. After the glitch at 2:50, I rewound to before 2:50 (without stopping), then played. It didn't glitch right at 2:50, but some seconds later. After stopping, then restarting in the method I described, then it went on for some time before happening again.

Likewise. That FBI screen was new to me.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Since you've had these problems on multiple discs, it might be the A1. They have a reputation of skipping and freezing.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez /forum/post/0

Since you've had these problems on multiple discs, it might be the A1. They have a reputation of skipping and freezing.

That's probably it. For right now though I can't see giving it up as its my go-to for SD DVD (which is frustrating for the slow speed) upscaling AND occasional HD DVD too. I'll wait for a few generations until they get faster and work out the kinks. From what I've read the A2 doesn't fix everything.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
My HD-A1 is sensitive to placement and heat dissapation. Try to allow your HD-A1 to ventilate better, and you won't have skipping.

This is especially true with TrueHD titles, where the player has to do extra work.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez /forum/post/0

this is true. i have owned 2 a1 both skipped whenever they felt like it. no matter what movie i put into them. it started getting worst and bam stuck on welome screen for both!

eagles would glitch like crazy. end of days would glitch like crazy, dang almost anything would!

i tried cleaning my eagles cd a bunch of times since i watch that often but to no luck

but teh a2 has fixed all those problems. i still get 1 skipp in the agles but i think its from a scratch it does it in the same spot all the time.

good thing it skips when their not singing i would be pissed if it would of happened during hotel california grr lol

but yah i played part one and two yesterday with no skips or drop outs in a while im playing the last one

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.