Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rocket RS750 vs. Dynaudio Audience 122

I've been meaning to post this review for a few weeks but have not had time...so I've finally gotten around to it at 1:41AM...sorry for the delay Mark. (I promised Mark I would post this)

Let me start off by saying that I was very skeptical of the quality speaker that AV123 was offering for the price of the Rockets. After all I did have an opportunity to audition the Diva 6.1’s and was not overly impressed. Nice but not captivating. So how much better could the Rockets be? Having owned or auditioned Polk, Wharfedale, Mirage, Def Tech, Acoustic Energy, B&W, Thiel and more, both my wife and I found that we loved the sound of Dynaudio speakers so we purchased the Audience 122 speakers since they were shielded for home theater use. Since the Rockets were released, overall consensus seems to be that the Rockets outperform the Divas. Given that I picked the Dyns over the Divas, I was naturally curious how they would match up to the Rockets. In fact, I was quite certain that my Dyns would be superior to the Rockets given that Dynaudio has a great reputation for their speakers. Unfortunately no one in So Cal had any Rockets up for audition on AudioEnvy so it was impossible for me to know just how much better the Dyns were. Since the Rockets were sold out, I could order a pair myself but the backorder list was so long that it would be a long time before I got to see a pair…

Finally the Rockets arrived at a fellow AVS Forum member’s home. Having seen my request for audition on the Rocket thread, he invited me over to his home for an audition. I jumped at the opportunity immediately asking if it would be fine by him to bring my Dyn 122’s over for comparison which he agreed to.

So my wife and I drove an hour over to the nice fellow who invited us over with our Dyns seatbelted in the backseat to accompany us on our little trip. When we arrived at the member’s home, another AVS forum member was also there for an audition so my wife and I sat down to enjoy a tune by Peter Gabriel. My first impression was that the Rocket RS750’s were quite nice in stereo mode. Very smooth top end and excellent balance. We patiently waited until it was our turn to pop in our music and when our turn came, I chose Haydn’s Violin Concerto performed by Pinchas Zuckerman. I always bring this disc along with me to audition speakers because Zuckerman’s violin is SOOO sweet sounding and it is a pretty good recording. We immediately found that the Rocket RS750’s were extremely detailed. After all, I had listened to this disc hundreds of times. The vibrato was passionate and full of emotion. The soundstage was wide and deep. The imaging was impressive. The details that I recall hearing on my speakers seemed to be more apparent. However at this point, I still felt that the Dynaudio’s were game enough to go head to head with the RS750’s. I attributed the differences in detail to the environment since I was not familiar with the acoustics of the room. Then I popped in Natalie Merchant’s Tigerlily. This is another disc that is well mastered. On capable speakers, her beautiful voice literally floats through the air. Her voice reproduced through the 750’s was absolutely amazing!!! The vibrato in her voice was more real than I had ever heard before. This disc also has some bass tracks that hit low and hard. The 750’s delivered the bass with such amazing speed. Faster than I have ever recalled before.

At this point we decided that it would be time to set up the Dyns for a quick A/B comparison. I carried the 122s over and set them down next to the 750’s. The first thing I noticed was that the Dyns looked like fake speakers next to the gorgeous finish of the Rockets. I felt like my Dyns had showed up at a ball without a tux on. That’s how dramatic the physical differences were. The pictures of the Rockets on the website truly do not do the speakers justice. In comparison, the Dyns looked boxy and clumsy next to the curvaceous and elegant 750s in their rosewood and gloss black glory! In fact the difference was SO drastic that upon inspecting the 750s, my wife turns to me and asks, “How much are these speakers?†I replied that they are less than the retail for the Dyns. She says, “Honey, why didn’t we get these speakers instead?†Boy was I embarrassed! I figured I would get my redemption when the music started again! After quickly hooking up the speaker cables, we powered the system up again replaying the same track on Natalie Merchant’s Tigerlily. OMG! My Dyns sounded thin in the treble and mids compared to the 750’s. The vibrato in Natalie’s voice was weaker. The bass while stronger on the Dyns was not nearly as tight and fast as the 750s but sounded too overpowering. The Dyns flat out lacked the refinement, detail and overall balance. A/B’ed with the 750’s the Dyns were simply outclassed. Coupled with the beauty of the Rocket cabinetry, the conclusion was simple. The Rockets are truly an awesome speaker for the price. PERIOD.

In fact I was so impressed by the Rocket audition that I have now sold my entire Dynaudio Audience setup and am on the wait list for the Rockets Package 0 which I can hardly wait for to arrive now! So to all you folks out there wondering just how good the Rockets are, I have this to share. The Rocket RS750 is an AWESOME speaker at an AWESOME price. IMO, they clearly smoked the Dynaudio Audience speaker. Both AVS forum members as well as my wife all agreed on this. The fact that they are such beautiful speakers to look at is an added bonus. Congrats to Mark and the AV123 team for designing such a stunning speaker that beat the pants off an excellent product from a very respected speaker manufacturer.

PS. After I brought my Dyns home and hooked them up, we threw in The Eagles “When Hell Freezes Over†DVD and marveled at how great the sound was on the Dyns…This just confirms in my mind what a great product the Rocket is.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Great review.

I see though you didn't make any mention of the entire front end electronics for either your system or the Rocket system you drove to?

Do you feel the front end has no important effect on the sound?

Obviously it was the 'same' front end you heard when you A/B'ed your Dyns to Rockets so I don't doubt your findings in the least in the Rocket owner's system, but like you said.. your Dyns sounded great when you got back home.

What were the amps, pre, (or rec.) DAC's between the two systems?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.