AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I returned my Panasonic DVD-RP56 a few days ago because the flickering bug was getting on my nerves, so today I went to Frys and purchased the Toshiba SD-3750.

The SD-3750 price is $199.99 with more features than the Panasonic RP-56. The features in the SD-3750 are DVD-R playback in DVD Video only, it does scaling, and it has better audio of 24 bit 192khz, and the remote has progressive/interlaced button called colorstream selector. It also has a digital optical and coax output. It has so many features that its impossible to write them all. If you want a list a features go to Toshiba's website.

Now the picture quality. The picture is crystal clear and it has no flickering bug or no chroma bug.

The sound is very good that comes from my additional speakers that I hookup to my tv and disabled the tv speakers. Since I don't have a DTS and Dolby Digital receiver I can't tell you what the sound is like, I'm pretty sure it sounds awesome.

Overall, the Toshiba SD-3750 is the best bang for the buck and its a keeper.

·
Registered
314 Posts
well that's good news.

Do you know if there's any difference between you're model and the forthcoming 5700 in the Video electronics?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I have had the 3750 for about two weeks now. I am going to take mine back and exchange it for another player.

I have it hooked up to a Mits 65907 and to my Yamaha 992.

With many discs I have had audio drop outs and for some reason my receiver does not know it is playing DD, it thinks it is Pro-Logic. By changing the DSP to something else and then back to DD it then recognizes it. I thought it was my receiver asking me to upgrade but this was not an issue with the Toshiba SD1200 or the Pioneer DVL-700.

The clincher for me though was when I was watching (actually showing off to my father in law) U-571, at the layer change it froze for 2 seconds and then the subtitles turned on.

So, it is going back.

At least my father in law enjoyed the big screen and my twin SVS 16/46pc's.

Jeff Aguilar

·
Registered
36 Posts
i didnt have any audio drop outs, do you have bitstream selected, i had a similar problem, when it wasnt reconizing dd, then i realized i didnt have bitstream selected and felt stupid

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Massacure,

I double checked the bitstream setting, it is set up correctly.

I took back my player today and exchanged it for another one. I will see if I just had a bad player.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Well, I did exchange my 3750 for another player and it IS showing the same symptoms as the previous one.

Could someone else please check U-571 to see if the sub-titles come on at the layer change?

I will be returning mine for a different brand, possibly the JVC now.

Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased the Toshiba 3755 after my Toshiba 3109 was giving me tech problems after 2 years. I loved that player...great picture, crystal clear, natural colors...great sound.

I couldn't decided whether to continue with another Toshiba since I had disc jamming errors, audio sync, disc skipping problems.

However, I decided on the 3755. I've experienced a couple of problems, probably some I can live with since the picture again is so great. However, the sound is not as full as other players. I've hooked up my player via optical! When I hook up the player with traditional RCA plugs, the bass and fullness is improved but lacks the center channel separation for better vocal scenes. So I'm frustrated. After fiddling with the player, I realized I had the Dynamic Audio Range turned on. When I turned it off, the sound improved and became fuller.

I do find that the player skips occasionally, the audio syncing can be off during certain scenes throughout a film, namely 'Next stop Wonderland' and 'Aliens'. And between chapter changes, the film freezes for approx 2 seconds then resumes play into the next chapter. The 3755 also throws english subtitles on movies after the film is paused and play is resummed. Do most players do this? Have you heard of any of these issues?

I believe this is the only huge problem and I have tried adusting my Denon 1801 Digital Surround Sound Receiver to pump up the fullness of sound and subwoofer but no luck.

I've read a lot about the panasonic RP56 player and am considering switching it for this player. The picture on the Toshiba is generally great, crystal clear! Just can't understand if I'm expecting too much from any player.

Love to hear what anyone has heard or experienced.

Thanks,
[email protected]

p.s. What's the chroma bug anyway? In laypersons terms, please!

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I exchanged the Toshiba for the JVC. Now I am not having any of the problems I had before. No subtitles coming up at the layer change, no audio drop outs and my receiver is identifying the Dolby Digital right away! Not bad for only $15 more. I think this one is a keeper.

cincolina - the chroma bug can be seen with red objects, like in Toy Story. Start up Toy Story and look at the title. In the objects that are red you will notice that the red color does not stay in its borders very well. Your Toshiba has this issue. If it is not noticeable to you, then do not worry about it. I did notice it with both of my Toshiba 3750 players. I hope this helps.

Jeff Aguilar

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.