AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Couple of things -

Why get the MB you're looking at AND a separate video card? Kind of the point of the MB in that it has the graphics built in. I'd say scrap the 4550 (Love my 780g mb) and if problems crop up later you can always add a video card.

Also would reccommend running 2 HDs - a large one for your media files and a smaller one for your OS and Apps - you'll thank me when you have to rebuild your system somewhere down the road...

Otherwise the build looks good to me and nothing that would prevent the build from accomplishing what you're trying to acheive.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Also would reccommend running 2 HDs - a large one for your media files and a smaller one for your OS and Apps - you'll thank me when you have to rebuild your system somewhere down the road...

The alternative would be to partition the 1TB hard drive and keep the OS and apps on one partition and the media files on the other. If you do this, I'd recommend 200 GB partition for the OS/apps and 800 GB for your media files.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Well, IMHO it's not a matter of whether or not it does a better job of the 1080p playback (my 780 does a beautiful job btw), it's just that one of the reasons for buying that particular mobo is the onboard graphics. If you're not going to use them then get a different mobo is all.

I have a similar board and it's the most trouble-free machine in the house-plays 1080p all day long with a much inferior cpu to the one you've spec'd out.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeutler1203 /forum/post/15436652

Excellent point on finding a board without the onboard video. If I remember right renethx was stating that anything in the 3XXX series had poor post processing if I remember correctly which was the reason I went with a 4550.

The reason I went with the more powerful CPU was to do multiple video encoding when I add up to 3 HD TV Tuners. However now I am thinking about going with the 5050e to save on power and noise.

Why don't you use this CPU to help with post processing? If you have sufficient cooling and airflow it won't be a problem.

Also the two large HD are very good for storage but, you should use the money saved on the video card to get an SSD drive for the OS.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
As for post-processing,

5050e+HD 3200

Only the last supports multichannel LPCM (if it concerns you). Recording HDTV does not require much CPU power unless you encode MPEG-2 to something else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.