AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1903146

My wife and I just got back from the 3d experience. Figured it cost me $4 - 4.50 for gas. I signed up, and so did my wife. When you give them your email it says right there "$25 gift card to amazon" for doing a survey of your experience. Seems crazy to me. I'll see if we get the emails for the survey which gives you the gc. If so it will be a very nice deal.

I had them put on some sports. They played some FIFA soccer highlights. I thought it was pretty cool. At first I thought it was really cool. And then I seemed to get used to it. Now that I am at home I realize I should have had them put on other types of video clips. When I walked up, there was an offroad video game playing, and it looked pretty nice too. I guess you would only wear the glasses for "special" 3D events. But the sports seemed very interesting. Definitely the highest of HD that I have seen for sports. It was almost eerie...like I was down on the field during field level shots. I don't understand how they would optimize it for live feeds, but that's not my job.

Well, I didn't see a thread with the giftcard so I thought I would pass that along with my review of the TV.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been planning on dropping by my local Sony Style store to see the 3D demo. This certainly gives me more incentive to do so.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
My wife and I filled out the survey also. It was about a month ago now. I wonder how long it takes to get the gift card?

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmreedjr /forum/post/18263736

I've been planning on dropping by my local Sony Style store to see the 3D demo. This certainly gives me more incentive to do so.

Well, I dropped by and checked out Sony's 3D display. The 3D was excellent, though the only source was a BD player playing Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. I didn't notice any flicker, though another reviewer next to me did. I'd seen the movie before, albeit not in 3D. Many of the characters looked like cutouts with no body depth to them; I see that as a movie problem, not a display problem. All in all, I was impressed and my decision to go 3D was confirmed. Of course, I was looking for good, so I'm just gathering evidence for a decision already made.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Same with me!

I was planning on doing it anyway, since I just flat out want a new TV, and figured I might as well get a 3D one. The Sony store cemented my decision, like you. Definitely getting a TV that can do it. The quality was quite impressive. Could be sharper but it looked more like a 3D effect than I usually get in theaters.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Sony Active Shutter 3D TV Glasses – Prices!

Quote:
Sony has released the official pricing on its active shutter 3D glasses as well as emitter, where both of them will go with the 3D-capable 2010 BRAVIA TV. Starting in June, the TDG-BR100 as well as the TDG-BR50 active shutter 3D glasses will retail for around $133 after conversion.

The 3D glasses are adjustable to help out those of us with glasses or huge heads.

As for the 3D infrared emitter, it will sell for $55. Although if you buy the BRAVIA LX900 series you are in luck as the TV already comes with the emitter integrated within.
http://www.glassesfree3dtv.com/

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just stopped by the Sony store this past weekend.

Overall, I left disappointed and unimpressed. Perhaps my expectations were too high with all the hype I hear about 3D.

They had "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatball" on. (So perhaps like the other reviewer said, it might just be the content).

I was expecting things to jump out of the screen (like the 3D at the shows at Disneyland). What I saw was 3D in the TV. What I was viewing was 3D, but it looked like it was inside the TV. Kind of like those kid puppet shows performed in a box.

I asked the other viewers that were next to me and they also stated that they didn't see anything come out of the screen.

I'm just wondering if others (maybe with other content) has experienced 3D images that appear to be between the TV and where one is watching?

The images were great. I'm just not sure if the 3D aspect is worth the premium now.

·
Registered
946 Posts
3-D is not all about off the screen gimmicks. It's about giving the picture the same stereoscopic vision we see in reality. You see in 3-D every day, but how often do boulders and spears come flying at you?

That said, you really can't judge a technology based on one clip. Some 3-D movies are wall to wall gimmicks (COMIN' AT YA!, TREASURE OF THE FOUR CROWNS), while others are restrained (DIAL M FOR MURDER).

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
The immersiveness (sp? or is thast even a word?) of the content will vary for sure....

Small screens do not help in my opinion, others disagree with me on that one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts