AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been abducted by aliens, and quite simply do not believe most of the stories I hear about such things. I think the Air Force is testing stealth technology at Groom Lake (Area 51) and I DO NOT believe there is wreckage there from a flying saucer crash in Roswell. I found the series Roswell not even interesting enough to finish one episode, and although I have enjoyed several episodes of The X-Files, I do not care for those episodes based on alien conspiracy theories.

In spite of this, I became hooked on the miniseries Taken and I just finished the 20th hour. You do not have to be a believer for this material any more than for the film Independance Day - think "B-movie", but entertaining. I was expecting the normal mini-series standard of better than a weekly series but with overall lower production standards than a well-made theatrical film, and was not disappointed, on the whole I give it a B- and rate it better than most of the stuff in prime time. I also like it better than some of Spielberg's other works - below Close Encounters but better than A.I. for example.

The cast has no big names but they do an adequate job. The one outstanding role is that of Dakota Fanning, whom you may remember played Sean Penn's daughter in his film from last year I Am Sam. I believe she is at the beginning of a promising career - and may be one of the rare ones who can bridge over and also succeed as an adult actor.

The special effects work better on a small screen than a large one - I ended up watching the last two episodes on the projector, and even with not-so-hot standard 480i, I could see some unconvincing digital mattes. (They used that technique of giving you a quick glimpse then cutting away, which I find annoying.)

The SciFi Channel video was not very good in truth - I suspect analog studio equipment was in use, the picture did not have the crispness of the best digitally-mastered channels. They followed their usual practice of overlaying the letterboxed picture with a station bug - a new and larger station bug, even more annoying than the old one.

I have seen some really bad made-for-video movies on the SciFi Channel recently, and this material is far better than those.

DVD would be the preferred medium and I'm guessing it'll hit the streets fairly soon. However, expect a boxed set of six or more disks and a price of perhaps $100 or more. I would not buy the DVDs, but I might rent them in a year or two.

Gary

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
I have never been abducted by aliens, and quite simply do not believe most of the stories I hear about such things
Once you've been probed, you'll never go back baby.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
"Once you've been probed, you'll never go back baby"

This forum is crazy:)

Nicholas

·
Registered
63 Posts
I watched the entire 20 hours. I really enjoyed it....except for all the commercials. I got it off my c-band dish and the picture was not bad. Not HD, but it was in widescreen. The sound was quite good with quite a bit of surround stuff working.

I'm not a big x-files fan..this was much better. I thought it was one of Spielberg's better made for TV movies. It was amazing how they keep the story going for 20 hours and keep the interest there. A couple of episodes midway thru got a little slow, but overall I have to say it was a terrific effort.

When the DVD comes out, it may be more reasonable than the $100 mentioned above. I got the 6 disc set of 24 for under $40 (costco), so this one could be in that same price range.

Art

·
Registered
977 Posts
I watched the entire series and found it very enjoyable. I can't really think of this as a Steven Spielberg product because it doesn't seem like he had that much to do with it other than having his name annoyingly smeared all over the advertisements.

The story rehashes most of what we already know from previous productions like The X-Files, Roswell etc...they come, they take, they probe...we get sore. Some parts of the story really dragged...one of the worse points a hostage sequence...yawn.

On the plus side there were some very good performances. I've enjoyed seeing Eric Close ever since I first saw him in Dark Skies and even more so after watching the very underated Now and Again. I wish his character had been much more developed, as I think it would have greatly improved the story.

Joel Gretsch (who can also been seen in Minority Report) makes for a very good villain early on. Once again, here is another character that I wish they had done much more with.

Overall, the show draws comparisons to many other alien abduction stories that have been done much better, such as Fire in the Sky and Communion. The series was fun to watch, but definitely leaves you wanting for much more.

Howie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Spielber under $40 for a box set?

I highly doubt that, considering Band of Brothers was 10+ hours, but still selling for $85.

I'll have to pick the series up on DVD. I rarely watch TV anymore, those commercials bug me to death.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This was definitely a job for the TIVO so you can zip right through those commercials. I, too, enjoyed the entire series. I would have liked to see more focus on the aliens rather than the abductees.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I agree . . . 3 cheers for Tivo. I only watched 1 or 2 of the episodes live. To many damn commercials. I had a much better time

I knew the actor that played Mary Crawford looked familliar, but I didn't fully remember who she was until I went to the sci-fi website. She was the girl in the Blair Witch Project. I was hoping near the end when she was crying they would have had a long string of snot roll out her her nose for old times sake :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Overall a good job. I felt that chapters seven, eight,and nine had a bit to much fill. Maybe eight or nine chapters instead of 10 would have been better.

I sat real close to the TV but my transmitter is still be working because they got me again last night!

Oh Well

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Actually I thought most of chapter 10 was to much filler. It seemed like that episode could have been 45 minutes long, but overall I still think it was a great series.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.