AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Those wide screen captures are great. Pan and scan could never do this movie justice. I'm going have to get the DVD.

-Glenn

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
One of the few Widescreen Black and White features, and beautifully photographed to boot. I haven't seen the Widescreen version for a couple of decades, and it was a tattered CinemaScope print then.

Gary

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
One of the few Widescreen Black and White features

There's more of them out there than you might think. I was always really partial to another of Paul's, Hud, "The man with the barbed-wire soul". Saw that one a bunch, primarily P&S. A first class DVD of this one would be a major cause for celebration in the Dogpen.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Some more black and white widescreen features (1.85 and greater):

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) 1.85

Repulsion (1965) 1.85

Fail-Safe (1964) 1.85

Seven Days in May (1964) 1.85

The Haunting (1963) 2.35

The Longest Day (1962) 2.35

The Manchurian Candidate (1962) 1.85

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) 1.85

Long Day's Journey into Night (1962) 1.85

Day's of Wine and Roses (1962) 1.85

Yojimbo (1961) 2.35

The Misfits (1961) 1.85

The Apartment (1960) 2.35

Sink the Bismark! (1960) 2.35

Psycho (1960) 1.85

The Diary of Anne Frank (1959) 2.35

Some Like it Hot (1959) 1.85

Anatomy of a Murder (1959) 1.85

Touch of Evil (1958) 1.85

The Spirit of St. Louis (1957) 2.35

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
The Spirit of St. Louis and White Christmas are in color.

Good list.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the Anatomy of a Murder (1959) DVD is Pan and Scan....

P.S. I realize the list is regarding films NOT DVDs...

Cheers,

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I still think the term "few" applies, the list is rather short. My own collection includes both Touch of Evil and The Man Who Wasn't There. I'll probably add The Hustler soon.

It's really a shame so few features are made in B&W today. The Man Who Wasn't There, whatever you may think of the plot, is absolutely the most incredible B&W photography I have ever seen.

Gary

·
Registered
873 Posts
Gary - that's because it was shot in color. Apparently less grain than B&W.

Kelly

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Gary - if you don't mind me asking, were did you pick up your copy of this dvd for $16.99 CAD? Been buying most of mine from Future Shop but they don't even have this one listed on their in-store systems or website.

(It's supposed to street on June 4th).

Kal

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CNL.com - but I have a discount there because of my large volume of purchases.... but I do recommend the site, good deals and good shipping rates... also because I am in Ontario and they are in BC I avoid Provincial Sales Tax...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kstirman
Gary - that's because it was shot in color. Apparently less grain than B&W.

Kelly
Just asking...why would it have less grain if shot in color?

The old Technicolor movies were shot on black and white film (through color filters), and then dye-printed one color at a time to a piece of black and white film.

One thing I can say: Spiderman was sure grainy. Hardly looked like I expect a big new release to look like.

Are movies actually less sharp than they used to be?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Others on the forum know more than I.

The quality of color film stock, I believe, has evolved considerably, whereas B&W is used less frequently, and therefore has not improved as much.

Seeing films in theaters - there are many reasons why the apparent qulaity of the film may be less than what it actually is on the original. This is one reason why it is very possible to produce an image at home that is superior to what is available in theaters.

With digital manipulation of the image, I would expect the quality to be less than what is possible with no digital intervention.

Are movies less sharp? I don't know. I am fairly certain however that the quality of theaters has dropped substantially.

Kelly

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
The Coen Bros' had some info on the O Brother Where Art Thou DVD about why they shot in color and electronically converted to B&W.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.