AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes, of course - just send a PM on the forum.

The thing about these players is they're rubbish for the likes of Netflix, Amazon etc etc - so I just use a Shield for online stuff and the Zidoo for local.

They are always plugged into the wall wart but they both have on/off/standby modes.
A few more questions:

Is zidoo.de an official reseller?
Does SMB work for accessing files on the Z9X? I have my media stored on a Synology NAS and would have to connect to it via ethernet.
Are the antennas removable and, if not, how tall is the device?
Is it actively cooled and is there audible fan noise?
Is the Plex app available on the Z9X?
What length support period can I expect for the Z9X? The Vero 4K has received continuous updates for going on to three years now.
Are you associated with zidoo in some capacity? I noticed you're a moderator on their official forums

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
A few more questions:

Is zidoo.de an official reseller?
Does SMB work for accessing files on the Z9X? I have my media stored on a Synology NAS and would have to connect to it via ethernet.
Are the antennas removable and, if not, how tall is the device?
Is it actively cooled and is there audible fan noise?
Is the Plex app available on the Z9X?
What length support period can I expect for the Z9X? The Vero 4K has received continuous updates for going on to three years now.
Are you associated with zidoo in some capacity? I noticed you're a moderator on their official forums
No idea about Zidoo.de but if they sell them and the price is reasonable, there's no reason not to buy from them. I buy from Futeko.

SMB works just fine.

Antennas are not removable without surgery - I removed mine though. They are hinged so can stick out in line with the box though, so no additional height.

No active cooling needed, and no fan.

Plex - Others can answer that, I don't use it, but if you want to use the likes of Plex or Kodi I'd recommend a Shield - these boxes are designed primarily to use their own eco-systems.

Support - pretty continuous.

I don't work for Zidoo but I do help them out as a beta tester and sounding board.

·
Registered
69 Posts
SMB works just fine.
In my case, smb was not so stable. Unfortunately many times, just out of the blue, the player lost connection to smb shares and it was necessary to add shares again. There were also some minor speed drops and occasional "stuttering", especially in UHD materials. It was the same on the Z9S.
NFS was a bit better with zidoo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,

yes it is an official dealer

As for Mark, my SMB works properly, I have 2 Synology NAS and zero problems.

you can visit my thread to know more about my material and the way I use it

Support: there is a good follow-up and regularly offers new features, it just lacks a tighter follow-up about old irritants with the video part that are still not solved.

I don't really help Zidoo but I'm on their forum to talk about the good and bad sides so that potential buyers have information that helps them make the right choice

One last thing, with the way I use the box, it's one of the best choices right now.

Generally there is a follow-up for 3 or 4 years, which is excellent for this category of device

See you soon

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
In my case, smb was not so stable. Unfortunately many times, just out of the blue, the player lost connection to smb shares and it was necessary to add shares again. There were also some minor speed drops and occasional "cuts", especially in UHD materials. It was the same on the Z9S.
NFS was a bit better with zidoo.
I think as with any player it depends on how your network is configured - I have a pretty complicated network (approx 120 clients over 10 switches (5 managed), I have 3 Z9Xs at various points in the network and have honestly never had so much as a missed frame using SMB.

I used to use NFS years ago when it was the preferred standard for streaming due to its low overhead but I switched back to SMB a couple of years ago after having issues with NFS.

I use the Zidoo exclusively for 4K content but I've also tested the 400Mbps Jellyfish files and they play perfectly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think as with any player it depends on how your network is configured - I have a pretty complicated network (approx 120 clients over 10 switches (5 managed), I have 3 Z9Xs at various points in the network and have honestly never had so much as a missed frame using SMB.

I used to use NFS years ago when it was the preferred standard for streaming due to its low overhead but I switched back to SMB a couple of years ago after having issues with NFS.

I use the Zidoo exclusively for 4K content but I've also tested the 400Mbps Jellyfish files and they play perfectly.
My home network is not complicated, several devices, switch, one router, Synology NAS. I currently have three network players and it's interesting that only zidoo boxes had network problems. Maybe I'm unlucky. NFS is a very good protocol, much better than SMB.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In response to an opinion given by movie 78 about me and to clarify the situation

At the same time I am not surprised by his reaction when I see the comments he leaves on the Zidoo forum since he came back... he seems to be bitter but this is just another opinion from me and I forgive him

To see his opinion about me, it's here
http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...ro-uhd3000-released.88023/page-19#post-153784

------------

Of course zidoo have sent me devices in the past and it never stopped me from telling Mirror or other people from Zidoo who are not on this forum how I feel about their devices or software.

I think I have always been objective and some members do not hesitate to blame me and say that I have no place on this forum by saying bad things about Zidoo and that does not bother me on the contrary

I have enough people who thank me through differents forums to see that I am objective about Zidoo devices and that I am not talking nonsense.

You don't see it but I push Zidoo as best I can (and with my means) regularly to change their plans and correct certain problems as quickly as possible so that as many users as possible are satisfied and sometimes it has to be said in public if nothing happens
but most of the time it is in private and not especially with Mirror which is only a cog in the Zidoo company.

As anyone can read on my discussion threads I have no major problems with Zidoo and I am satisfied with it, (even if I find that the last 2 FWs are of lower quality, personally I prefer to be in 6.2.5) with my way of using it and I have no reason to say otherwise.
On the other hand, this is not the case for everyone and I indicate it in my threads of discussions too.

-------------

You must to know that what we see on the forum is like an iceberg with the tip sticking out that everyone sees and everything else that is underwater that no one sees...

Again last night I received an email from Zidoo and I replied this morning (local time) with what I think is the best response for a majority of users who report irritants on several forums I frequent.

I often remind them that they can ban me from the forum if they wish or cut ties with me, I don't mind because I don't work for them even if they could send me samples contrary to what you seem to think
(and in between us they are stingy contrary to Egreat ( Thanks Rita) who had sent me their entire range at the time)

-------------

For all those who read my last message on my 2 threads, know also that if Zidoo fixes some old irritants, I will be the first to say I was wrong and apologize on the forums and social networks because it will mean that many users will have a better experience with their Zidoo device and that I will have achieved my goal.

For your information, I'm going to spread this message on differents forums I frequent and on Facebook too.

Personally I am satisfied with what I do

sorry for my poor English

See you soon

·
Registered
16 Posts
introduction

Welcome to join us in this Facebook live.

MONDAY, JUNE 7, 2021 AT 12:30 PM EDT

---------------------------------------

Pour les personnes et particulierement les Francophones désireuse de passer commande d'un Zidoo et d'avoir un service apres vente de qualité en Francais, voici les coordonnées du conseiller Zidoo chez Futureland.fr

Thomas sera en mesure de répondre a vos differentes questions concernant les appareils Zidoo.

J'ai échangé quelques messages avec lui pour le projet ''Facebook LIVE'' de futureland.fr et il est tres sympa, n'hésiter pas a lui écrire.

A bientot

PS:

J'ajouterai que j'ai lu de bon commentaires de la part de clients sur le forum Homecinema-fr concernant leur achat chez futureland.fr, c'est aussi pourquoi je parle de futureland.fr comme point de vente Zidoo.

-------------

Morning everyone,

For people who want to order a Zidoo and have a quality after sales service in French, here is the contact information of the Zidoo advisor at Futureland.fr

Thomas will be able to answer your different questions about Zidoo devices.

I exchanged a few messages with him for the ''Facebook LIVE'' project of futureland.fr and he is very nice, do not hesitate to write to him.

See you soon

PS:
I will add that I have read good comments from customers on the forum Homecinema-fr about their purchase at futureland.fr, that's also why I talk about futureland.fr as a point of sale Zidoo.

See you soon​

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have 3 Z9Xs at various points in the network and have honestly never had so much as a missed frame using SMB.
I'm thinking of getting a Zidoo and was wondering how Home Theatre 4 copes with multiple Zidoo's? Does each device maintain its own copy of your library or can you host it on a shared location on the network?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a Zidoo and was wondering how Home Theatre 4 copes with multiple Zidoo's? Does each device maintain its own copy of your library or can you host it on a shared location on the network?
Unfortunately there's no centralised library which would be ideal, but when you have two or more Zidoos setup pointing at the same sources they will all scrape the same information.

Once you have the library setup on each device, any further additions get scraped the same automatically on each device.

I also then export artwork and NFOs from a "master" box which means if something goes awry with a box, it can be rescraped using local resources and return to the same state.

Reactions: lfletcher

·
Registered
197 Posts
Is it possible to boot directly into the poster wall when starting the device? I understand booting straight into kodi is not possible on the Shield Pro unfortunately. Also, how is the remote in general and is it worth getting the air mouse v9 that they're offering?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wifi antenna's can't be detached? ...what a bummer...On Pro Vision I kept Bluetooth, but removed Wifi antenna's...Have to check if wifi antenna's are essential for the remote app...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes booting straight to HT is possible. Actually any app for that matter on the Zidoo.
I wrote about the remote in the review. Anything special you want to know?
You mentioned in your review that TV shows that have the show's name in the filename can cause issues with the scraper? My TV shows are named like this "The.Example.Show.S05E09.INFO-2160p", that sort of name would likely cause problems?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Wifi antenna's can't be detached? ...what a bummer...On Pro Vision I kept Bluetooth, but removed Wifi antenna's...Have to check if wifi antenna's are essential for the remote app...
I removed mine. Bit of surgery required but it's easy and painless.

Peel the feet off, undo screws, remove bottom, remove motherboard and carefully disconnect the cables then each antenna can be removed - I used a small pair of long nosed pliers to squish the captive mount - you'll see how it works once it's open.

Then I put a couple of closed grommets in the holes just for neatness and OCD.

Reactions: compingharry

·
Registered
168 Posts
I removed mine. Bit of surgery required but it's easy and painless.

Peel the feet off, undo screws, remove bottom, remove motherboard and carefully disconnect the cables then each antenna can be removed - I used a small pair of long nosed pliers to squish the captive mount - you'll see how it works once it's open.

Then I put a couple of closed grommets in the holes just for neatness and OCD.
As a complete technical dummy I fixed my joystick on Novation SL61 MkII last week, with soldering and all after a quick Youtube course...this should be doable...(y):cool:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I read on the zidoo forums that full information only gets scraped once playback of a movie starts? Can anyone confirm this and if so, if there's a workaround to this as it seems not ideal.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts