AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a low cost dvd player (sub $200) to go with my new HLN567W DLP TV until a good mid range ($500) player comes out with DVI output. Would like something with either DVD-Audio or SA. I'm not very impressed with the features of the Samsung or the generic DVI players. I saw that JVC just released a new series (XV-NA70BK / XV-NA77SL). It looks like it has some nice features:

DVD-Audio playback

108MHz/12-bit video DAC

Video Fine Processor (VFP)

Screen Fill

Just wondering if anyone has seen the picture quality from one of these. My other options are a pioneer 563(pq not impressing anyone, but decent price) or a denon 910 (more expensive, pq not impressing anyone, no SA or DVD-A).

The Samsung TV has Faroudja DCDi built in, so if I'm not happy with the DVD player's deinterlacing, I can just send 480i to TV, and let the TV do the work.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
You are better off going for a Denon DVD-1600 (best picture quality but better quality DVD-audio than the others you list) - get it quick before they run out at Crutchfield. Its $329 but many have used a couple $20 coupons to get the price down to well under $300.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that the Denon 1600 gives the best quality, but it's a hundred more than I want to spend for technology that is 2 years old, out of production, and something I will replace within a year.

Any suggestions for something sub $200?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Are you going to trash the player after a year or try to sell it? There is a good chance the Denon DVD-1600 will retain a decent resale value compared to any JVC. Depending on your circumstances that may help justify the DVD-1600, somewhat.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Yeah the "2 year old" Panasonic RP82s (similar to Denon DVD-1600 quality and features) sell for up to double their original price on ebay regularly. A Denon DVD-1600 would be a wise investment even if you replace it in a year or two. You might even make a profit on the deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.