AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting anxiously for a review or report on Projectiondesign's latest home theater projector, the 'Action Model One', and when I did a search on AVS it came up empty. :confused:

I heard about the Model One several months ago and if I remember correctly it was supposed to be re-released with the HD2+ chip by CES. I was unable to attend this year's show, but so far I have yet to get a confirmation that the Model One made it to the show or if anyone has yet to get their hands on one.

So far all I know for certain is what it says in the brochure .

Considering the specs I had expected that this projector would get quite a bit of attention:

HD2+ Mustang DLP

3000:1 CR

250W UHP Bulb w/2000 hr lamp life

1200 ANSI lumens (user adjustable between 600-1200)

Latest Faroudja DCDi processing

6-segment, 5-speed color wheel

28 dB operating noise

Like SIM2, they also offer different color choices: Satin Gold, Maranello Blue, and Pearl White.

Here are some photos:

http://www.avancetechnologies.com/im...h_action_2.jpg
http://www.bdt.co.nz/projectiondesig...del-one_s8.jpg
http://www.bdt.co.nz/projectiondesig...del-one_s2.jpg
http://www.bdt.co.nz/projectiondesig...del-one_s6.jpg

Here are some notable quotes from the brochure:

Quote:
The Action! model one allows the user to adjust output level through Dynamic Black, enables Dynamic Contrast enhancement and makes available a wide range of gamma curves. projectiondesign enables - for the first time - a projector that can be adapted to a wide range of screens with the same impact as the theatre.
Quote:
In order to minimize complexity and possible external influences that may degrade image quality, a single electronics board is used for all critical video signal processing. All connectors are directly connected to the board where the processing takes place. This reduces possible noise and signal degradation to a minimum. In true high end spirit, three separately regulated power supplies are used at the signal front end - one for the D/A converter, two for the video decoder - to further reduce noise, easily visible in the projected image. To keep signal paths as short as possible, a multilayer board, including two ground planes, with Surface Mount Devices components are used, directly coupling the input to the imager.
What really has me interested is unlike most projectors that have at the most two modes for lumen output, the Model One apparently has the ability to finely adjust the lumen output from 600 to 1200 lumens to precisely match your screen, source and personal taste.

If anyone has seen or owns this projector please post your comments here!

Thanks!

Nils Luehrmann

·
Registered
868 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm.... is AVS's search engine not working properly? I put in projectiondesign and tried fast, normal, and even slow searches and all of them came back with no results???

Anyway, thanks for the links and I'll look through them for reviews.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Thanks for the Purty pictures anyway :)

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
No, the AVS search engine is working exactly as it is designed to, unfortunately. In order to reduce the resources required to create the search index, the software rejects words that are either too short or too long. Unfortunately, ProjectionDesign is over that limit.

I spoke with David Bott about this but he doesn't seem willing to make a change. Perhaps if more people complained, he might. What's worse is that the search engine doesn't tell you that the word is too long, it just says it can't find any documents.

Head over to the "Forum Feedback" section and express your opinion if you like. I'll bump my thread up so it will be easy to find; it's entitled, "Search isn't working!" Honestly, I think that this ought to be fixed.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
According to one user of model one adjusting the light output is not that noticable. He doubted it could be a true 600-1200. He could turn down brightness , but it was not that much less bright.

I hope someone with real expreience with this projector can confirm or deny this.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Yes, but KBK's rebuttal to that was that a difference of 600-1200 lumens will not be perceived as a factor of two adjustment... still I agree that confirmation would be helpful.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
will confrm in a few, by using my light meter,and providing numbers.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Howdy Bay Area Buddy! It's been too long my friend, how's your PLV-70 holding up? Last time I was out there you had quite the collection of screen material. Did you settle on a Hi-Power screen?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
"will confrm in a few, by using my light meter,and providing numbers" said KBK

Any update will be appreciated!:)

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Damn. that's too much like work.

OK. we'll keep it simple. I will place my NIST'd standard 'light meter' in front of the lens. i will get a 'number'. When the PJ's level control is cranked up, it should nearly double that number. Then the debate about it doubling will end. As for it being exactly 600 to 1200.. well it ain't that simple to measure lumen accurately, so I'll leave that to someone else. Back in a second with the results of this simple test.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
OK. The number went from about 1100 to 1600 on this meter, under these uncontrolled conditions. The units of measurement were Fc, according to the meter settings. Whether that is linear as a measurement or not.. I dunno. You find out... I'm'a going back to watching a film!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
C'mon KBK............not just a few crumbs....the whole box n' dice please...if you please.......when you please!:)..... but thanks.....anyway!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I find it's motion dithering to be about the same, depending on connection. Also,. the Action one is sensitive to phase adjustments when using a HTPC as a source in the analog (VGA) domain. So adjust that phase control for the lowest noise floor, which lowers your dither noise. I find dither is tightly tied to the source/PJ noise floor.

I just installed the new aperture mod on the unit (takes about an hour, not a simple job, requires nearly complete disassembly, leave it to the pro's). The improvement is dramatic, and it does lower the output slightly, but that is to be expected with any aperture mod. It is a set aperture mod and presumably it is one they came up with that has the best compromise.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Well, as far as CR goes, it looks like an improvement to the 4000:1 or so range, insofar as how much improvement I see. Most could not make tht leap, but I have direct experience in getting that kind of change (% of change, or % of improvement) out of PJ's. Folks with an adjustable iris on their PJ's also understand this sort of estimation, as they are used to seeing it. It is an internal component that is added to improve the CR. It is a lens modification.

Depth of image and intensity of color goes up in quality and quantity. This allow you to get more into the film artifacts and film processing artifacts and more away from trying to deal with Digital projection shortcomings. A more important (to me!) way of stating this, is it allows you to lose yourself in the projected image a bit easier. Noise floor artifacts drop out a bit, as they are darker. The PJ will require a small amount of re-adusting of your settings to take best advantage of this. not much, but some small changes. Perhaps you will prefer the settings where they are.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.