AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this old jedi automatic padding hack that was once practiced by Mikeyboy as-far-as-I-know

the hack looked good but I never got around to trying it and looks forgotten

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...17#post2459317

I'd like get my hands on a current version and try it out. The link in the archive still works, but i'm afraid to install the hack..

I'm unclear if the existing hack sill works or if there are any downsides because it has been talked about so little.

The way I remeber it the hack automatically pads #=minutes before and/or after a show without messing up any contiguous shows.

Perhaps Mikeyboy can give us an update.

I have to read up on it again myself. Just posting it now so I don't forget to later

someone take a look!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looks like all the info was in the thread you linked.

The two hidden features are "Showguard" and "Sportsguard". The former adds n minutes after all shows unless there is another recording scheduled. The later adds one of 15/30/45/60 minutes to only shows designated as "sports" programs.

In short, on 5k Replays there is no UI to enable the features, but they can be activated by manually editing the registry and writing it back via extract_rtv.

On older RTVs, the features could be enabled in the ClawFoot, but only 3K/Showstopper machines would add a UI control to set the minutes.

So, it should still be harmless (risks of registry hacking via extract_rtv aside) to enable either or both features on the Replay. It's possible that a more recent SW update may conflict with these unsupported features, but it is easy to undo the hack.

As useful as the "soft" extension may be for prematurely clipped recordings, it will have no benefit for the recent :59 start-times, etc. It can't solve conflicts, only add minutes to all recordings that DON'T have conflicts.

-BS

·
Registered
744 Posts
Any possibility of using WiRNS' "GetShellCommands" to edit the registry to enable these features on 5k units. I ask because I am not currently using WiRNS.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Short version: If you change the number to 3 your replaytv will start recording 3 extra mins of every show. It will not record 3 extra min if two shows are recorded back to back...you wouldn't want it to. Instead it will start recording the second show on time.

A year ago I read the hack post and knew I better do the hack soon or a year would go by before I got around to it again. Welp, the year went by and I'm getting around to it :)

The hack comes with two batch files that patch the drive. I'm wondering how the program knows which drive to patch?

I'm also wondering if any of the rtv updates have rendered the batch files obsolete or dangerous to use.

Hopefully Mikeyboy will chime in. Maybe I'll PM him

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
By description it does not sound like it will do a damn thing to save us from NBC and the x:59 start times...

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MethodMachine
Any possibility of using WiRNS' "GetShellCommands" to edit the registry to enable these features on 5k units. I ask because I am not currently using WiRNS.
Yes - the GetShellCommands plugin will do the job qutie nicely.

Add the following lines to "shellcmds":

***EDIT-18OCT2004-1538PDT: (HIGHLIGHT: ORANGE)

THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS CONTAIN A SYNTAX ERROR.

THEY WON'T DO ANYTHING (ReplayTV OS WILL DO EVIL THINGS WITH THEM)

SEE BELOW FOR CORRECTED COMMANDS

-------------

regedit setval Software/ReplayChannels/EnableShowGuard 1

regedit setval Software/ReplayChannels/EnableSportsGuard 1

regedit setval Software/ReplayChannels/SportsGuardTime 90

regedit setval Software/ReplayChannels/ShowGuardTime 5

regedit setval Software/ReplayChannels/PlayContinuously 1

--------------

***Link to the CORRECT shellcmds entries***

Adjust the values as appropriate for what you are trying to achieve.

Setting the value of "EnableShowGuard" or "EnableSportsGuard" to 0 will turn OFF that feature.

"SportsGuardTime" works in 15-minute incriments. (0, 15, 30, 45, 60, 90...)

Also, setting this value to zero will effectively turn the feature "off"

"ShowGuardTime" works in 5-minute incriments.

That should about cover it.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigjohns
By description it does not sound like it will do a damn thing to save us from NBC and the x:59 start times...

SI! SI!

It only extends the end of the recording of the show, Senior Duck...

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rm -rf *.*

--------------
What's the purpose or effect of this last line? (Just curious).

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by l8er

quote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the purpose or effect of this last line? (Just curious).

That's the CFP "PLAY CONTINUOUSLY" option - It will add a Play Continuously menu item to your Playback options.

It has nothing to do with SportsGuard or ShowGuard - I copied & pasted one carrage-return too many...

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
OK, silly question: how do you tell if showguard was actually enabled by the shellcmds settings? (50XX/55XX). Thanks.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
schedule a 1-time recording of any show (I don't think it makes any differance if it's a guaranteed or non-guaranteed event) that happens to have an "idle" period immediately following it (ie: no other scheduled records) and the RTV should "auto-pad/extend" the end of the recording.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
RTV should "auto-pad/extend" the end of the recording.
That's what I figured. On a 5040 running build 144, and two 5504s running an earlier build, the shellcmds for showguard and sportsguard seem to have no effect. (Ran a net connect from each machine after starting WiRNS with the showguard/sportsguard commands in the shellcmds file). I even rebooted after an initial test to see if maybe that was required. Oh, well.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Gary-

In investigating why the features weren't working - I just found an error in the registry path that I had orignally posted.

The CORRECTED shellcmds txt should be:

regedit setval Software/Apps/ReplayChannels EnableShowGuard 1

regedit setval Software/Apps/ReplayChannels EnableSportsGuard 1

regedit setval Software/Apps/ReplayChannels SportsGuardTime 90

regedit setval Software/Apps/ReplayChannels ShowGuardTime 5

(and if you want the PlayContinuously option)

regedit setval Software/Apps/ReplayChannels PlayContinuously 1

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
The CORRECTED shellcmds txt should be:
Guess I'm missing something somewhere, I still don't get any recordings padded automatically. :(

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
It loops the currently playing show.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Quote:
Guess I'm missing something somewhere, I still don't get any recordings padded automatically. :(

Then I'm thinking that the problem is either :

1) I wonder if they might have pulled it out of the OS then?

or

2) I f-ed up the command string again...

I'll check a few things as soon as I can (I just discovered the hard way that my landlord needs to go buy a new roof...)

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
regedit setval Software/Apps/ReplayChannels EnableShowGuard 1

regedit setval Software/Apps/ReplayChannels EnableSportsGuard 1

regedit setval Software/Apps/ReplayChannels SportsGuardTime 90

regedit setval Software/Apps/ReplayChannels ShowGuardTime 5
An older post I ran across with search indicates two of the lines above should perhaps be?:

regedit setval Software/Apps/ReplayChannels EnableShowGuard TRUE

regedit setval Software/Apps/ReplayChannels EnableSportsGuard TRUE

I'll give that a try later today.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Speaking of playing shows continuously, the other day I discovered another bug in the ReplayTV software. If you:

Start a show, then interrupt that show to watch another, and start the second show with the Play Continuously command. Then if you jump back to the first show with the Jump button, the first show will play continuously.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
An older post I ran across with search indicates two of the lines above should perhaps be?:

regedit setval Software/Apps/ReplayChannels EnableShowGuard TRUE

regedit setval Software/Apps/ReplayChannels EnableSportsGuard TRUE
Still no joy in Mudville. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.