AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a post in the subwoofer section, but not alot of responses.

So I built a 30" tht back in the day when it was the craze.. and now it's just sitting in a spare room , as it's a little big to be a centerpiece.

Once our basement is finished , I will have a area for a game /movie room that's about 2200 cubic feet . I can't remember which driver it was. Probably some cheaper dayton , or whatever was recommended as iirc it didn't need a big amp or driver

So how would that compare to a new vtf2/vtf3, monolith 15, pb4000, or any other popular subs in the $1000-1500 range

From what I remember after I got placement right, and got the amp all dialed ones in, it was extremely loud and sounded pretty good. Started to fall off quick around 20 hz or so.. but was great for movies and music ..

I mean if I can save $1000 bucks, it might be worth pulling it out of retirement? As I'd like to round over all the edges and paint or stain it.

Just looking for opinions

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not sure how your THT will compare to the current crop of premade stuff but for $1,500 you could build a single 21" Devastator that will absolutely crush anything you posted many times over. Depending on your current amp selection, you could squeeze a 21" NSW driver into the budget, build the new Alpha II design and equal 5 or 6 PB16s.

Reactions: xb1032

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
^ as above- find out what is "missing"
after putting a minidsp 2x4 with my 24' and 2x 30's in <800 cu. ft
on bash 300's
lately it seems what's missing is some of my hearing . .
set a baseline

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure how your THT will compare to the current crop of premade stuff but for $1,500 you could build a single 21" Devastator that will absolutely crush anything you posted many times over. Depending on your current amp selection, you could squeeze a 21" NSW driver into the budget, build the new Alpha II design and equal 5 or 6 PB16s.
Nonono... Lol
I'm looking to go smaller , if anything. I don't want to spend $1500 which is why I was curious about the THTs performance vs. say a hsu vtf3 mk5.. the only reason the tht is in storage, is because it's bulky as it is.. something like the hsu isn't exactly small, but compared to the tht, it is.. and with that being one of the best bang for your buck subs out there. I thought it was a good comparison

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
random musing
Could the driver, be modeled into a "ported" design that used PRs to keep box size smaller than if modeled
from PE, ported is only 9 cu ft, mol, but the pr's could make it even smaller.
with an F3 of 21, some PEQ, etc. could very well be a real space saver. That 30" THTLP is 23 cu. ft.
build 2 or more
TDH

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
What kind of driver is in the THT?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of driver is in the THT?
It's the old Dayton dvc... I built it 10 years ago.. so whatever was the hot sub for it back then it's what I went with.. the amp w just a 240 Watt plate amp from parts express I believe

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the amp I bought for it

Can't find a link for the old sub which in guessing is discontinued..

Here is the build thread

So at minimum, it looks I could upgrade the sub and amp .. they still work fine, but I know there has to be a better replacement

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
i contend- that driver- with some discussion at PE- can be re-used in that form discussed above.
The T/s specs for THTLP drivers haven't changed too much
while that driver may not be currently available
if Bill said it was good,
compared to the specs for the current 15'"Ho and HF, it probably still models well into that box as posted at PE.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts