AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have plenty of room on my left and right Side Walls for 2" Linacoustic if I want (take a look at my build thread and you can see why), but I'm just wondering where the current census is with regards to this discussion of 1" vs 2" thickness.

I am leaning towards 2" because I don't have any room in on the rear walls for any type of room treatments/base trapping, because I have too many things on the back wall that will block/inhibit base trapping because of a bar, refrigerator, two doors, and shelves, but this thread is not about the rear wall.

It looks like 1/2 of you do 1" thickness for Linacoustic and 1/2" of you do 2" thick Linacoustic for side walls.

All of the expert Acoustical Solution providers on the forums say they put in 2" thick Linacoustic for side walls at their client's rooms, even though many of you ignore their advice and just install 1" Thick Linacoustic.

Of course I am only going to install the Linacoustic up to a height of 47" on the side walls (Cotton batting above that), so I am not talking about floor to ceiling Linacoustic on the side walls.

By the way, one more question: Should the Linacoustic go floor to ceiling at the first reflection points, rather than cotton batting from 47" and up at the First Reflection points?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,210 Posts
All of the expert Acoustical Solution providers on the forums say they put in 2" thick Linacoustic for side walls at their client's rooms, even though many of you ignore their advice and just install 1" Thick Linacoustic.
the 2 inch plans I've seen don't use Linacoustic.

·
Registered
549 Posts
There are lots of good points about sound absorption and diffusion in the Acoustical Treatments Thread, I am hoping you read through that. From what I have learned, the first concern is always first reflection points. Also treatments at the front and rear, as well as corners are at the top of the list as well. Unfortunately my side walls are limited to 1" of treatment, so ill just be using 1" linacoustic on them, not sure if ill cover the whole sidewalls with that or not, but at least the first reflection points. It's not a great solution, but its better then nothing :) The front and rear i'll be using Roxul AFB on my front wall (behind the false wall), at least 3" there, with corner bass traps made from the same material, it has great acoustic absorption properties for that. On the back wall I plan to use 2" of linacoustic across the entire wall.

Every room is different and there are lots of discussions about what is best to do. I wish I could do more on my side walls, along with some diffusion, but my space is limited :( But if you have the space I would say 2-4" of linacoustic or other absorption material like OC703 or a Roxul mineral board products, or even diffusion at the first reflections points seems to be the newest recommendations I have read.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts