AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really wierd and have never come across this before with a sound card.

I can be watching a movie and I will lose the spdif connection to my denon av reciever.

I do thy typical figuring it is the amp changing sources letting it lock on another digital signal to no avail. I stop zoom player stat play again and nothing.

I restart the computer and begin the movie again, it plays fine for awhile and then I lose audio again. I switch filter to win dvd to power dvd and back.

I try using the seperate programs windvd and power dvd and they give me spdif audio and then they lose it.

I shut down zoom and a say 20 seconds later the digital indicator comes on on the denon, try play a movie and it does it again. So I get mad and say the hell with digital connection I want to watch this movie...

I switch to analog connection and its fine I enjoying the movie, and I lose audio sync the sound slows down, and then a low level static begin to become louder and louder changing in pitch and intensity. I have never heard anything like it. I think its time to change the drivers.

Right now it doing the analog static with out any source playing. I think there is a ghost inside the HTPC.

Has anybody come across this before ?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Is your receiver plugged into a different power outlet than your computer? You may have grounding problems, or even just flakey wiring - I had a case where the connections in the fusebox where a little loose, everytime the furnace kicked in, I'd lose my sp-dif audio for about 15 seconds while things restabilized.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I don't have that particular problem but I am experiencing some "gremlin" type issues. For some reason after letting my pc idle for awhile the revo cranks the signal to distortion levels (on my analog-connected speakers...not the digital connection) However it doesnt' display as cranked in the m-audio control panel, so it's like the signal is getting juiced inside the board without the software realizing it.

Here's the thread:

Wierd Revo issue

·
Registered
80 Posts
OMG!

I had the EXACT SAME problem.

Read my post here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=289826

I get this problem with any audio encoded at 48khz (mp3, dvd, wav, etc.) being played through a wide variety of players.

Anything at 44khz or below did not result in the problem you and I have experienced. In fact, when I did have the problem, I could make it stop by playing a 44khz mp3 or wav.

I firmly believe that the Revo (or some of them) has some kind of clock issue.

I spent months emailing back and forth with M-Audio support. They were not helpful at all. :/ I would get responses from different people there each asking the same damn questions and no answers. I gave up on them.

It's not a grounding issue.

It's not heat related. I tried several different environments and configurations to nullify any possible heat increase. I still had the problem.

It's not an overclocking problem. O/C or not did not abate the problem.

I reinstalled the OS and three different drivers. Still had the problem.

It's not a CPU, motherboard, or memory problem. I get flawless results in the same computer with Echo Audio Darla, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, and a Turtle Beach Montego II.

Then, a few weeks later the problem 'stabilized' despite the fact that nothing overt changed in my system. By stabilized I mean that I would get the problem within the first 5min of dvd playback, then the problem would go away and not return until a reboot.

I installed my old Echo Audio Darla card to see if it was the OS or motherboard. The Darla performed flawlessly while the Revo still did it's weird thing.

So my dvd routine had to include a 10min 'warmup' where I would play a movie (either from the HDD or DVD-Rom) and leave the computer until the problem subsided.

After about several months of tolerating this, I installed a new video card and the original problem was back in full force. It no longer went away after 5min but rather persisted for hours.

Throughout this whole endevour I had the Darla card in the same box. So this time around I took out both audio cards and drivers. I reinstalled the Revo only. And to this day (2 months and counting with fingers crossed) I have yet to have the problem again.

Please contact M-Audio about this. When I did that they acted as if I was the first and only with such a problem.

Good luck. :/

·
Registered
146 Posts
Welcome to the piss poor Revo driver bug that has never been fixed . Of course spdif gets affected a lot more , you soundcard might not have a problem sending out sound at any sample rates spdif isnt designed for it. I gave up on it and went back to onboard audio. Incidently the problem only seem to exist when directsound is present and disappears instantly I load up an application using ASIO .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nope. :/

This was the general response pattern:

1. I email support with detailed description of problem and my tests/findings.

2. I get a reply containing a question about my set-up or conditions that was already discussed in my initial email (didn't seem to read my email). I answer the questions anyway.

3. I get a request for a msinfo32 printout of hardware IRQ's. I send it to them to prove that the Revo is not sharing an IRQ.

4. I am told to uninstall and move to different PCI slot. I do this and problem persists. I reply to them with this info.

5. I get no reply.

Within a few weeks the problem I described stabilizes by no overt action on my part. So I tolerate it and give up on M-Audio support.

6. Months later the problem resurfaces, so I email M-Audio with all my previous emails and their replies. I get the exact same pattern of responses (but from a different person).

The last email I received states:

"We're working on that problem. You might try removing the PCI card, and then running the uninstall routine. Then run the new installer, shut down and reseat the Revolution. . . . "

Of course I have done exactly that about 7 times. :/

Oh well. At least my card functions right now.

BTW, it is not my intention to slam M-Audio's product or support. I really like the Revo (when it works). I just wish that Support would actually read my emails.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is driving me nuts, the denon and htpc are connected to the high power outlets on my monster power htps 7000.

I have bypassed the dam thing with no difference. I think I will start looking at cpu usage when it occurs, it might be a gremlin but this is a fresh install of xp sp1 home.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Isn't scripted customer support great?

·
Registered
80 Posts
ELM_SD,

Get a 48khz mp3 and a 44khz mp3. Once the slow starts, try playing each mp3 and see if the 44khz is also affected.

BTW, how long does it take for the slow down to start and for how long does it last?

For a long time, my problem would only require about 15min to completely cycle. After that I would experience slow downs + static until reboot.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey Ijon_Tichy

The slow down happens after I lose a digital connection and switch to analog. a reboot doesnt help you have to let it play out, and 15 min sound about how long it was last night. it slowly speeds up while the static happens until normal speed and then the static goes away. I'll try to make some mp3 here in the next day or so and test that out to see what happens.

Any sugested player besides zoom?

·
Registered
254 Posts
elm_sd

I have the exact same problem! It is a sound card/driver/IRQ problem of some sort.

I had the problem about 3 months ago and found out that if I used the onboard sound of the motherboard, the problem went away. I reseated the Revo Bd and tried a couple of Revo drivers and it finally went away. Was not sure what really fixed it.

All was fine until last week, when I got a new pc case and now I have the same problem back again. The video starts slowing down and then you get a loud hissing noise which then goes away, but you still have no audio.

It is not a cpu or any other problem besides something to do with the Revo Bd.

I have contacted Revo support in the past and they were of no help. They said they had not heard of this problem.

Maybe someone out there knows what exactly about the Revo card is causing this problem?

Jammarjim

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The email response from m-audio:

What software is involved when this happens?

Is this after the computer wakes from sleep mode?

Can you just verify that you are using the latest driver?

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

I will post as things develop.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
As of 8/03 M-Audio has heard of this problem as that's when I brought it to their attention.

It doesn't matter whether or not you use digtal or analog. Something happens with the clock of the Revo (IMHO). I never tried ReClock but maybe that could solve the problem.

Since reseating/reinstalling seems to affect the problem for good or worse, it could be an IRQ thing. But in my system the Revo had its own IRQ at all times so there is not much else I could do.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ijon_Tichy
littledeath,

The problem is more prevalent on the analog side. It also occurs when using ASIO.
Yeah ? Thats interesting. Maybe then it is a hardware problem then. In my case if I start up Winamp in Asio the problem disappears then switch to waveout and voila ,back again . But if you have another application using directsound in the background (say mediaplayer running) then it will do it in Asio as well. Anyways its a bug that never disappeared with any driver release.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem. I also had problems where, after a while, my receiver would lose the digital signal from the Revo, but only with 48kHz signals. 44.1 would work fine. Tried updating drivers, but didn't solve it. Finally removed it and went back to my 2496.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I've got 2 Revos as well as 2 Delta 410's and have never experienced the problems you all are describing with CD, DVD, or HDTV. There must be some common thread here, it would be nice if you can post what type of systems are being used. Also, have any of you tried getting a replacement in case there was manufacturing defect?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Kei

I have never had tried a replacement card as this problem has just started up over the last few months, and I got the card way back when they first came out and never seen the problem.

my system spec..

Amd xp 2400+,MSI KT4AV mother board 1G DDR ram 80 G HDD RADEON 9200 with win xp home sp1 included

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.