Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

After reading a lot of success story's concerning the M-Audio Revolution 7.1, I finally ordered one, it didn't turn out quite as good as I was hoping. There are several issues, but the most important is the noise problem.

I installed it with the latest drivers from the web, and connected it directly to my 6 channel Kenwood KM-X1 THX poweramp, and it has a very loud background noise. I have tried a lot of things to try to find the fault:

Ran an extension cord from a newly installed grounded outlet, and put the whole system on that outlet, didn't help.

Moved the PCI cards in the pc around, so that the Revo is on the bottom of the case, as far as possible from any noise sources, and other cards, may have helped a little bit.

Slowed or stopped every fan in the system, didn't help.

Rattled and pushed around all wires inside the pc, looking for a loose connection, didn't help.

Removed my tvtuner card, no help, got even worse when I removed the tv cable wire from the tuner card. This is what caused me to try another grounded outlet.

I have tried a lot of different minijack to RCA cables, as the sockets on the REVO is the CHEAPEST I have ever seen :( Fortunately the solderpoints on the back looks like they can be modded with REAL connections easily, if I can just get the card working properly.

The noise is NOT volume dependent, it stays the same no matter what the volumesettings are.

The noise is also there when using the S/pdif, only much lower. The noise is also present when I connect my old Soundblaster Live Player 1024 via it's S/pdif, but it's much lower than the Revo, almost at an acceptable level. If it wasn't for the fact that the sound quality I get from the Revo's S/pdif is MUCH better than the SB Live, I would have given up and returned the card. I can also hear that the sound quality from the analogue outputs CAN be good, but the noise is overwhelming, and completely unacceptable.

Another bother is that in order to get sound from the tv card, I have to run an external cable to the line in on the Revo, but to get any sound I have to have the Revo controlpanel open and enable monitoring on the input tab. If I close the controlpanel, the sound disappears. Is there any known workarounds?

My HTPC is made from the following components:

Chieftek Dragon miditower

MSI KT 3 Ultra mainboard

AMD XP 1800+

256 MB Twinmos DDR

80 GB WD HD with 8 MB cache

Pioneer DVD

ATI Radeon 7200

ATI TV Wonder

Intel pro 10/100 lan

Win XP pro

I am not sure if the problem is in the electrical system of my house (220 volts) or inside the pc, or the Revo itself, so any help would be appreciated.

BTW. When I connect a set of cheap Altec Lansing powerd PC speakers, all is well, no noise.

Frode

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
what power supply are you using? Some are better than others with regards to RF noise and grounding.

Are all your motherboard mounting and standoff screws tight and making good connections? (potential ground issues can come up here). I have never had an AMD motherboard, but either it wants to be completely isolated from the case ground (with plastic isolators) or it wants to be WELL grounded to the case with nice tight and all the motherboard metal/conducting mounting screws in place.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. The MB is attached as per Chieftek's instructions and with the original parts that came with the case. I tightend the screws myself, so there should be a more than ample ground connection in the case.

I just built up another PC from old parts (PII 400), and tried the Revo there, WOW what a difference, now I understand what everybody is talking about :)

Now comes the grueling task of isolating the problem with the HTPC :( Guess I'll start with switching the power supply, if that is the culprit, I have an excellent reason for buying a more silent one.

Any other suggestions will still be appreciated

Frode

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All problems solved, I borrowed a long extension cord, and got power from the top floor. I must have a complete phase that's on the blink.

Now I'm gonna finally enjoy my new 6.1 system :)

(and get a hold of an electrician)

Frode

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a noise problem with my Revo 7.1 also. Its happened twice in two days and both times the noise started while in Media Player. It starts out as a loud noise that sounds like a siren then gradually gets softer then gets louder then goes away. Its only happened while using the analog outs. I've tried to duplicate the noise but I can't.

System Specs:

Epox 8K5A2

AMD XP 1800+

Antec Power Supply

Toshiba DVD

M-Audio Revolution 7.1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.