AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Revolution sound card.

I have Win Amp, Music Match, and Media Center.

I have a few questions.

1. How do I get the best sound from a MP3.

2. How do I get the best sound from a CD.

3. What is ASIO? When should I use it? How do I use it? What can I use it with? What is the best plugins for this?

4. If I run my VCR audio outputs to the input of the sound card, is there software that can decode it into Dolby Prologic II and output it via the analog outputs.

· Registered
377 Posts
Presently, the Revolution doesn't provide this capability.

However, I believe they will be adding the ability to do what you seek in a future driver revision, but using CSII as the decoder. I think you'll find that CSII provides superior steering and rear channel separation to PLII. Not to mention the option of adding Dialog Clarity and TruBass to the output as well.

· Registered
377 Posts
Yes, I'm sorry, I should have been more specific.

Best sound from an MP3 is going to require using the best wuality MP3 encoder you can find, and choosing higher encoding bit rates. The higher the bit rate, typically, the better the quality will be (and the higher the file size will be as well)

For paying a CD, I'd say you're good with just about any CD playing software on the PC includeing Windows Media PLayer. If you're using a 5.1 speaker setup on your revolution, turn on CSII Music mode and see what you think of the surround that it delivers from your CDs.

ASIO is typically used when recording and monitoring more than two channels of audio simultaneously. For example: If you're a musician and you have a rack full of synthesizers, guitar effects and other post processing hardware, you may need to lay down a mix with 8 in, and be able to monitor that mix with an 8 out capability. Consumer sound cards, such as the Audigy and Revolution, can offer many channels out, but typically don't offer 8 ins and ASIO all in one. That is changing as costs come down and more features keep getting packed into affordable sound cards.

#4 (see previous comments)

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.