AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking about getting a cheap laptop for REW but I don't know what I need. Would something like the Acer Aspire E 11 $177.99 Amazon work or does it need to be a better/more expensive model?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
whats the OS, im assuming windows 8, but you know what the say about assumption...

John M is constantly updating, currently handles windows 8 and 8.1

·
Registered
11,618 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Windows 8.1 and HDMI out. Sorry I just no pretty much nothing about computers.:eek:
So would this work then?

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
No hard drive, but 32GB (flash) should be enough for the OS, Java and the program, which doesn't take much room or computing power. So probably okay.
I'd prefer more, just because, but it's probably not necessary.

Reactions: mnc

·
Registered
158 Posts
currently use a $200 toshiba 8ish inch tablet on windows 8.1 works great except sometimes when the screen flips directions the program will freeze. the files are saved to a shared folder on my main computer for better viewing.

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
If all he's/you're doing is running REW, the OS won't be a concern.
I was using REW with Vista for many years.
Who knows, mnc may end up enjoying some of the OTHER things a computer can do. ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
That may be a good thing, Ive had windows 8 for over a year and I stilled get pissed off with it, somedays I want to go back to vista
your problems could be over soon.

been running windows 10 for a lil bit and like it. you dont have to do that stupid swipe nonsense with your mouse on the right corner. the start menu is back!. and if youre into games directx 12 gives a huge performance bump. same gains if you have an xbox one.

ive been running it in a virtual machine, but if you have the nads give it a download. its free

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Just thinking about getting a cheap laptop for REW but I don't know what I need. Would something like the Acer Aspire E 11 $177.99 Amazon work or does it need to be a better/more expensive model?
The only things you'll need to be concerned about for REW are:

• It needs HDMI output (you can get away without it--but it's so much easier with HDMI)
  • it needs USB input

Beyond that, basically anything will do. It's not particularly demanding software.

Reactions: mnc

·
Registered
12,036 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If all he's/you're doing is running REW, the OS won't be a concern.
I was using REW with Vista for many years.
Who knows, mnc may end up enjoying some of the OTHER things a computer can do. ;)
LOL! I'm actually an Apple user but I dont use my computer for much more than getting online. The cheap laptop would go to my daughter after using it for REW.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unfortunately my Mac is too old, version 10.6.?! Don't really need to pay a lot for a new Mac just or REW. MUCH cheaper to get a $200 windows laptop that my daughter could use also. She's only 6 so doesn't need much lol!:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.