AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about adding a second SVS-SB2000 to try and improve seat to seat consistency. Prior to pulling the trigger on a decent expense and placing another big, black box in my living room I decided to check out what a second subwoofer would do according to REW room simulator.

I've generally been pretty impressed with the room simulator. It pretty accurately predicted the frequency response of the first SB-2000 and in my listening room (where I have two older M&K subs) its predicted response matches fairly closely the measured response.

Back in the living room, I really can't find any locations (which are available to me) where the room simulator suggests better seat to seat consistency with a second sub. In most cases frequency response is worse at all location and not consistent at all.

So I'm curious if any of you have used the room simulator and what your experience has been particularly with multiple subwoofers.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I have had good success with it. For me, the best placement for two subs did not include the best placement for a single sub.

If you can't move sub #1 or can't find a great spot for sub #2 , do the sub crawl. If nothing presents itself, try nearfield. I have added two MBMs to my 2 subs. They are both nearfield and away from any walls. Along wall placement wrecked havoc. Which Room Sim accurately predicted.

·
Registered
29,195 Posts
Harman did some research on using two subs for seat to seat consistency (not improving frequency response) and found that the midpoints of opposite walls worked best (assuming closed rectangular room).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had good success with it. For me, the best placement for two subs did not include the best placement for a single sub.
That's an interesting point I hadn't considered. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
12,879 Posts
Also, make sure you try flipping phase on one of the subs for each set of possible positions.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
So I'm curious if any of you have used the room simulator and what your experience has been particularly with multiple subwoofers.
After I received my second sub I played around with Room Simulation and found it be very close (to reality). It guessed opposing corners to be the best locations and as you can see from the actual sweep it wasn't far off.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I kind of expected a lot of folks to suggest that the sim is inaccurate but from the response that I've received here and a few other threads I have read it seems like it gives a reasonable approximation of the real world response even with multiple subwoofers.

Alas in my case, I can't find a pair of locations which are easy to get to which create better seat to seat consistency than my single subwoofer. There are some options which look good but would require that I tear out the walls and ceiling of the room below. My house is a over 100 years old and unfortunately still has knob and tube in several locations. I need to replace it but that will take time and money. I sure don't feel comfortable plugging a 1200 watt subwoofer into knob and tube wiring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts