AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 959 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after helping dozens of guys align subs on a facebook page I moderate peer pressure has won and I made a video on it. The channel was started really just to make this one video but I decided to cover everything. Here's the REW sub alignment walk through for those that may be interested.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
So after helping dozens of guys align subs on a facebook page I moderate peer pressure has won and I made a video on it. The channel was started really just to make this one video but I decided to cover everything. Here's the REW sub alignment walk through for those that may be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A6gPCczhuU
Thank you so much for doing this! :D

·
Registered
6,387 Posts

Very well done and excellent job of showing steps in detail. Have you done anything similar for impulse response?

Reactions: cdy2179

·
Registered
552 Posts

This is awesome on so many levels! thanks so much for making the videos. I watched this one (Episode 7) and left a comment with some questions that you could hopefully answer. Then I went back to watch all the videos beginning with Episode 1.

Great job!:)

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys.

as for impulse no I've always done sweeps as it verifies placement and can look at other seats where as impulse doesn't. Also once two subs are aligned the virtual sub would be what sub 3 is aligned to. I just recently played with impulse but found it lacking and i like to work with a representation of what is heard.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thanks a lot for this.

Regarding the gain matching, is it necessary to go through that whole process if you have two identical subs? Could you not just set the gain to the same position on each sub and call it a day?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot for this.

Regarding the gain matching, is it necessary to go through that whole process if you have two identical subs? Could you not just set the gain to the same position on each sub and call it a day?
Yeah I think i mention that but may not have. It still wouldn't hurt to verify but they should have the same output if the gain knob is in the same position. If they were heavy I'd probably just set the gains the same and roll on!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yeah I think i mention that but may not have. It still wouldn't hurt to verify but they should have the same output if the gain knob is in the same position. If they were heavy I'd probably just set the gains the same and roll on!
Thanks, I haven't gotten past the the first few minutes yet (where you mention gain matching). I used REW many years ago for a single sub and don't really remember what I did/had to set in REW, so I am sure this video is going to come in very handy.

Really appreciate the effort you put to do this.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I haven't gotten past the the first few minutes yet (where you mention gain matching). I used REW many years ago for a single sub and don't really remember what I did/had to set in REW, so I am sure this video is going to come in very handy.

Really appreciate the effort you put to do this.
You're welcome. Hope you find it helpful.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Just a heads up, in your video you say you need to purchase the miniDSP 2x4 control plug-in separately. According to the miniDSP 2x4 HD product page, the plugin is included with purchase.

Reactions: LawCPA

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hey. So I have just gotten to the point where you have aligned the 2 subs. Will watch the rest later.

Regarding the miniDSP, In a two sub setup, I am a little confused as to its purpose vs. Audyssey (version that can calibrate 2 subs separately) - maybe you get into this later in the video? Since you leave the miniDSP connected after setup, I guess you would never use the second sub output on the receiver? Or should both minidsp inputs be used with receivers that can distinguish between the individual subs?

Does Audyssey bugger up the work done using REW?

One suggestion: given the length of the the video, it would be nice if you put time stamps in the description. i.e. umik purchase xx:xx, minidsp purchase xx:xx, calibrate sub 1 xx:xx, etc. Though, I know this would be a lot more work and you have probably had enough already. :)

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey. So I have just gotten to the point where you have aligned the 2 subs. Will watch the rest later.

Regarding the miniDSP, In a two sub setup, I am a little confused as to its purpose vs. Audyssey (version that can calibrate 2 subs separately) - maybe you get into this later in the video? Since you leave the miniDSP connected after setup, I guess you would never use the second sub output on the receiver? Or should both minidsp inputs be used with receivers that can distinguish between the individual subs?

Does Audyssey bugger up the work done using REW?

One suggestion: given the length of the the video, it would be nice if you put time stamps in the description. i.e. umik purchase xx:xx, minidsp purchase xx:xx, calibrate sub 1 xx:xx, etc. Though, I know this would be a lot more work and you have probably had enough already. :)

Everything you asked is explained in the video. Why we only use one sub out even when 2 are available is mentioned several times and I also show how to setup minidsp routing.

Yeah I have some serious time in that video.. I have over 20 hours in it total. As I mention in the video I have links in the description for everything you'll need. Yes it's a little long but if you want to learn to set everything up that little bit of time spent watching it will save you days fiddling and guessing and honestly many just give up.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Everything you asked is explained in the video. Why we only use one sub out even when 2 are available is mentioned several times and I also show how to setup minidsp routing.

Yeah I have some serious time in that video.. I have over 20 hours in it total. As I mention in the video I have links in the description for everything you'll need. Yes it's a little long but if you want to learn to set everything up that little bit of time spent watching it will save you days fiddling and guessing and honestly many just give up.
Hi,

I watched the entire video, mostly - I admittedly 10-second skipped through a lot of the 3rd and 4th sub setup. So maybe I missed it, but the only place I could find you speaking about the one input is about 18 minutes in when you talk about how input 2 may be enabled by default. And there was no reason stated why input 2 would not be used. I suspect it is because by the time you are done, you have set up the proper delays with miniDSP and are basically treating all subs as a single unit, so no need for Audyssey to treat the subs differently?

Regarding the EQ stuff - if one is happy with/uses Dynamic EQ (I have a Denon x4500), is it necessary to have REW/miniDSP do the EQing? I think you mentioned your receiver didn't have the latest version of Dynamic EQ (or something like that) and that was why you didn't use Dynamic EQ? Wasn't clear to me if it should be an either-or for the EQ.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hi,

I watched the entire video, mostly - I admittedly 10-second skipped through a lot of the 3rd and 4th sub setup. So maybe I missed it, but the only place I could find you speaking about the one input is about 18 minutes in when you talk about how input 2 may be enabled by default. And there was no reason stated why input 2 would not be used. I suspect it is because by the time you are done, you have set up the proper delays with miniDSP and are basically treating all subs as a single unit, so no need for Audyssey to treat the subs differently?

Regarding the EQ stuff - if one is happy with/uses Dynamic EQ (I have a Denon x4500), is it necessary to have REW/miniDSP do the EQing? I think you mentioned your receiver didn't have the latest version of Dynamic EQ (or something like that) and that was why you didn't use Dynamic EQ? Wasn't clear to me if it should be an either-or for the EQ.
You may wanna watch it again..:D

At 10 minutes I explain why one input it is used and why we don't let the AVR have control of more than one output. Your assumption as to why is correct but it's explained for the first time at that point in the video.

As for dynamic Eq I explain during the eq section how to eq a manual house curve when you don't want to use room correction eq and a loudness compensation and how to eq when using room correction eq or dynamic eq. As mentioned in the video You should be using a house curve either manual or loudness compensation like dynamic eq. If you use audyssey at all or any room correction eq that will remain on you need to eq to a flat target in REW. In the video I explain why.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ahhh.

I remember seeing that at the 10 minute mark the first time I watched. Couldn’t find it again when I was sort of skipping through looking for it again.

I will have to rewatch the EQ section again. Too much info (in a good way) for a single viewing for someone who has not seen this stuff before.

Thanks again for making this.

Reactions: NTTD and cdy2179

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahhh.

I remember seeing that at the 10 minute mark the first time I watched. Couldn’t find it again when I was sort of skipping through looking for it again.

I will have to rewatch the EQ section again. Too much info (in a good way) for a single viewing for someone who has not seen this stuff before.

Thanks again for making this.
Totally understand. I'm the worlds worst about skimming through stuff and missing stuff then putting my foot in my mouth. It is a lot of info. For a few years I've been walking people through this over Messenger. You can imagine how painful that was for me and the guy trying to learn without a video to follow.

·
Registered
563 Posts
In a 2 sub situation, assuming one has used REW to determine the best location for each sub, I have a question:

If a guy has a receiver with Audyssey XT32 - where each sub is configured separately, doesn't the Audyssey routine determine the proper delays and whether to invert or not?

I am trying to understand if, for aligning subs, miniDSP provides a significant benefit over just using Audyssey XT32?

I get with miniDSP you can make changes on the fly and immediately see the impact of those changes via REW (which is no doubt beneficial), but after all is said and done, would one typically net out to basically the same end-result between miniDSP and XT32 for sub alignment?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In a 2 sub situation, assuming one has used REW to determine the best location for each sub, I have a question:

If a guy has a receiver with Audyssey XT32 - where each sub is configured separately, doesn't the Audyssey routine determine the proper delays and whether to invert or not?

I am trying to understand if, for aligning subs, miniDSP provides a significant benefit over just using Audyssey XT32?

I get with miniDSP you can make changes on the fly and immediately see the impact of those changes via REW (which is no doubt beneficial), but after all is said and done, would one typically net out to basically the same end-result between miniDSP and XT32 for sub alignment?
With two subs only yes xt32 is an option. It doesn't always get it right, it also won't say hey sub 2 needs to be moved to fix that null at sub one. Room correction uses impulse to align subs and isn't as accurate especially with multiple seats and once you get more than two subs you're in minidsp territory for sure.

Bottom line, If placement is good xt32 often does fine aligning dual subs for one row but it needs to be verified via measurements and also as mentioned in ep 7 you need to verify main to sub alignment too.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thanks.

Now that I've removed my back row of seating (and riser) and my single row now only has 2 seats (instead of 4), think I will re-figure out the proper sub placement with REW and then use XT32 and see what happens. MiniDSP would be nice, but at $300 CAD, would be nice if I could get away without it and put that money towards dual 15s.

1 - 20 of 959 Posts