AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have REW and a Umik-1 and am having a ***** of a time with the built in SPL meter.

Running on a Win7 machine, the version of REW that was before the release a few days ago.

When I go to do a measurement, it tells me I need to run the SPL calibration, I do that, and it is almost never right.

I set my AVR to -10 and if everything works right, the meter within REW should say about 93 or so. Lately it is all over the place. Has been saying 127-130 or 72-75 with the same AVR setting.

What am I doing wrong? It is driving me crazy, already broke my laptop screen today after screwing with it for 2 hours and wasting my Sunday afternoon.

Thanks

Ray Nist

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Make sure the version of REW you are running supports the UMIK-1. Older versions will appear to support it but the calibration will be way off. You will also need the calibration file for your specific UMIK-1. The vendor you bought it from should have it for you. REW should ask for it when starting if it doesn't already have it.

A quick check is to try and calibrate the input. If REW allows manual calibration with a UMIK-1 attached, it's surely the wrong version. The correct version does not allow user input calibration with a UMIK-1.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I found the problem. I had my mic calibration file also selected as the sound card calibration. Once I removed this it worked correctly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts