AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used the Zenith DVB-318 on 1080i with component output to a Sony 2003 XBR800 40 inch CRT- no plasma,dlp,or lcd could do better at HDMI. This DVD is incredible -Top Ten DVD of ALL Time. Absolutely no doubt.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
The only problem with viewing a transfer this good is that it makes you wonder why all DVDs don't look as good as the medium can be made to look.

I suspect when we move to HD DVD (in whatever format) we'll continue to see crappy transfers to a better medium.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu
...when we move to HD DVD (in whatever format) we'll continue to see crappy transfers to a better medium.
I think you are absolutely right aydu. The studios tend to do the least amount of work (i.e. least costly method to get to market) according to their audience. When the audience was Beta/VHS the transfers were awful, and stayed awful until laserdisc started to take-off (at least in Hollywood) when they started to get better. Then came letterboxing, then DVDs and anamorphic, etc.

I swear, this time I'm gonna do it, I'm going to RESIST my tendency to be an "early adopter" and not buy the first gen of HD players & discs!!!!!

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
The only problem with viewing a transfer this good is that it makes you wonder why all DVDs don't look as good as the medium can be made to look.

I suspect when we move to HD DVD (in whatever format) we'll continue to see crappy transfers to a better medium.
Of course. That's how they'll create a market for Superbit HD DVDs! :D

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy
Used the Zenith DVB-318 on 1080i with component output to a Sony 2003 XBR800 40 inch CRT- no plasma,dlp,or lcd could do better at HDMI. This DVD is incredible -Top Ten DVD of ALL Time. Absolutely no doubt.

So, I'm confused as the to reason it's better, is it the DVD? The Sony? The Zenith?

·
Registered
28,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss
Of course. That's how they'll create a market for Superbit HD DVDs! :D
Not to mention extended/expanded versions that will have a "newly remastered HD" print. :)

There's no reason to think HD optical won't follow the same predatory sales/marketing path as DVD, trying to get us to double, then triple dip for the same releases that should have been done the right way the first time. :rolleyes:

·
23,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red
So, I'm confused as the to reason it's better, is it the DVD? The Sony? The Zenith?
I think it has something to do with the water in Houston.

larry

·
Registered
742 Posts
Quote:

And crappy players with decoding artifacts too...

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:

That same thought crossed my mind last week when I watched the original Star Wars trilogy on my Zenith 318.

If all studios took the time and care for the PQ that Lucasfilm did for New Hope, and Empire Strikes Back, there wouldn't be such as pressing need for HD-DVD...

·
Registered
28,092 Posts
All Superbits have been marked down to $9.99 at Best Buy (they'll ring up at that price even if they aren't marked for it). Picked up this and Lawrence of Arabia today, two discs I kept meaning to buy but put off until they finally went on sale. Now is the time.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark
That same thought crossed my mind last week when I watched the original Star Wars trilogy on my Zenith 318.

If all studios took the time and care for the PQ that Lucasfilm did for New Hope, and Empire Strikes Back, there wouldn't be such as pressing need for HD-DVD...
Forgive me for sounding insolent, but I have never mistaken the best DVD for an HD presentation.

I agree that the Star Wars boxset looks outstanding. So does Das Boot Superbit, along with many other DVDs. However, after seeing a movie shown competently in HD, I have a hard time going back to the DVD no matter how good it is.

This is not meant to take anything away from the 318 or any decent DVD player. Let's not get carried away, tho...

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
And where in my post did I claim that it looked as good as true HD?

Of course it doesn't. Read my post and you will see I'm talking about the potential of standard DVD's when the time, care, and resources are applied...

·
Registered
28,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek
do superbits have a separate shelf at bb?
No, you have to hunt for the titles you want.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy
Used the Zenith DVB-318 on 1080i with component output to a Sony 2003 XBR800 40 inch CRT- no plasma,dlp,or lcd could do better at HDMI.
So you've done a careful comparison with plasmas, dlps, and lcds to arrive at this conclusion?

·
23,031 Posts
Jerry G,

Is this your first HoustonGuy post? :) I'm assuming it is or you wouldn't have asked that question. Either that or you were never aware that the Sony XBR800 is, and always will be, the benchmark against which all other displays are measured. :)

larry

·
Registered
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark

Great, so you're advocating that all studios insert crappy CGI, and ruin what was a classic movie.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Quote:
FWIW, my local BB had many of their SBs on a rack near checkout.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Quote:
FWIW, my local BB had many of their SBs on a rack near checkout.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.