AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a def tech set up that I built myself from parts off ebay. The thing is that when I wired them I just used wire and prongs fom radioshack. Think it cost me like 19$ for the wire and prongs. Now I have a friend that says if I were to rewire them with high grade silver and copper wire they would sound much better. Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I use monoprice 12ga for my long runs to the surrounds... Spent like 20 bucks for 100ft of wire. Then got some spades from eBay.. Cheap!

Have leftover monster 1.2 and 2.2 m series for the front 5. Honestly I've had cheaper wire up front too and it's fine.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewis /forum/post/19533889

I have a def tech set up that I built myself from parts off ebay. The thing is that when I wired them I just used wire and prongs fom radioshack. Think it cost me like 19$ for the wire and prongs. Now I have a friend that says if I were to rewire them with high grade silver and copper wire they would sound much better. Is there any truth to this?

I would post this question in the DIY area...

·
Registered
15,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewis /forum/post/19535293

Im not talking about the speaker cables going to the receiver, but rather the cables inside the speaker.

I wouldn't worry about it, John. Even if it is a smallish gauge (large gauge #'s), the lengths are short and FWIW, consider all that copper that's on the voice coil. What speakers did you wind up making and if it's possible, can you take a picture of the insides?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf /forum/post/19535840

I would make voice coils out of gold wire with platinum leads. Then I would burn my house down and shoot my neighbor's dog.

That's the making of a country music song if I every heard one.

·
Registered
19,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewis /forum/post/19535293

Im not talking about the speaker cables going to the receiver, but rather the cables inside the speaker.

Don't get caught up in that type of stuff - The cable in the

Definitive Tech is fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts