AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

After 7 years of apartment living with paper-thin walls, I'm moving into a house so clearly I need to upgrade my HT. I'm currently running Klipsch 5.1 ProMedia 5.1 with a crappy Sony sub. I have a decent Denon receiver so I'm not really worried about that. The HT will be in a smallish living room (maybe 10x20x8?) but I might eventually move it to the much larger basement, though not for a while. It will be used primarily for movies and TV though I do occasionally like to rock out to music. I won't always blast it, but I'd like the ability to blow my hair back if the situation calls for it :)

My budget is around $1500, but less is certainly not unwelcome. I'm fairly sold on the SVS PB-1000 which can be had for about $449, which puts me at about a grand for the 5.0. I was leaning toward the Klipsch 5.1 Reference II series (RF-52, RC-52, RS-42), but a Polk TSi400 set (TSi400, TSi100 Bookshelf, CS10 Center) has caught my eye for roughly $300 less. Unfortunately, I'm not in an area where I can readily test out these speakers so I'll need to rely on you fine people's opinions.

Are the Klipsch speakers straight-up better than the Polks, and if so, are they $300 better? I realize some people highly dislike the Klipsch horn, so given that I can't really audition them myself, are the Polks a safer bet? I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile per se; so I kind of doubt they will offend me. I just want something that can rock the house and make me feel action/sci-fi movies in my bones.

I'm also open to other suggestions within the aforementioned budget.

Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
i was looking at a set of RF 52's but they are hard to come by unless you get them on eBay. I ended up going with a set of RF 42's and am also going to demo the 62's at my house tonight. I ordered through crutchfield so return shipping is only $10. So far my impressions of Klipsch has been ver favorable vs my old Polk system I used to have. I like the crisp sound of the Klipsch especially for movies. I will note I have only had the system set up for less than a week. I also went with the PB1000. I may pick up a second one of those down the road or upgrade to the PB2000 down the road. My room is about 15x29 with 12 ceiling. Where are you looking to purchase from?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was looking at a set of RF 52's but they are hard to come by unless you get them on eBay. I ended up going with a set of RF 42's and am also going to demo the 62's at my house tonight. I ordered through crutchfield so return shipping is only $10. So far my impressions of Klipsch has been ver favorable vs my old Polk system I used to have. I like the crisp sound of the Klipsch especially for movies. I will note I have only had the system set up for less than a week. I also went with the PB1000. I may pick up a second one of those down the road or upgrade to the PB2000 down the road. My room is about 15x29 with 12 ceiling. Where are you looking to purchase from?
I've found them on Newegg, Amazon, WWStereo...All around $1050 regardless if I go piece-meal or bundled. Though WWStereo has a bundle with RB-51s instead of the RS-42s for $100 less. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Make sure you get a 30 day return period. Some, myself included, find the horn/compressor driver of the Klipsch to be dynamic, but fatiguing with time. Especially those models that are not on the high end...

·
Registered
193 Posts
My troubles with the 52's was getting them in black from a authorized dealer. I was also concerned with a good return policy. I also did not want to split my order between vendors. I don't think you can go wrong with the RB for surrounds. You could always use them for a second room if you choose to do so later. I am only running a 3.1 set up as of now.

The pioneer system you posted is likely not near the Klipsch. The reviews are likely from people coming from soundboard and HTIB.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I looked on Amazon at the rc 52's and after shipping you may be better off with looking at crutchfield and their rf 62's for $50. You will actually get a much better return policy to include shipping.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry I meant RF 52

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked on Amazon at the rc 52's and after shipping you may be better off with looking at crutchfield and their rf 62's for $50. You will actually get a much better return policy to include shipping.
Hmm, free shipping on newegg and $100 cheaper. I respect a good return policy, but TBH i'm not going to send them back unless i really hate them and I don't see that happening on any of these setups.

any other opinions on the Pioneers?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i might be able to get polk set featuring a pair of RTiA7s for about the same price...any thoughts on how they stack up against the RF-52s?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you were going to go with Polk I would suggest the RTi-Series of speakers as they are a step above the TSi-series
-Polk RTi8 Floorstanding Loudspeaker a pair for $300 shipped
-Polk CSi5 Center for $215 shipped
-Polk RTi4's bookshelfs $200 shipped

So that is $715 for 5.0 speaker set, giving you money saved to upgrade to a higher level SVS subwoofer if you choose. :)
Are the RTi8s comparable/better than the RF-52s?

What's the difference between RTiA7 and RTi8? the A7 are way more expensive on polkaudio.com...way better performance too? they are just within my budget if i can score a heavy discount i'm looking into.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Are the RTi8s comparable/better than the RF-52s?

What's the difference between RTiA7 and RTi8? the A7 are way more expensive on polkaudio.com...way better performance too? they are just within my budget if i can score a heavy discount i'm looking into.
I would rate the Polk RTi8's above the Klipsch RF-52s personally as I am not a real fan of Klipsch speakers, plus the Polks will have a larger mid range and could go deeper than the Klipsch's

The only real difference between the Polk's is the looks and box design. Both use the same mid-range drivers and tweeters, RTi A-series was just a redesign in terms of looks but not sound.

In a side by side comparison of my Polk RTi4's vs the Polk RTi A1's they sounded identical and I could not tell the different between the two. The only thing that makes the Polk RTi A-series nicer is the looks. But this is an audio forum not a looks forum so I would suggest a cheaper speaker than performs just as well as their newer version but does not look as pretty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would rate the Polk RTi8's above the Klipsch RF-52s personally as I am not a real fan of Klipsch speakers, plus the Polks will have a larger mid range and could go deeper than the Klipsch's

The only real difference between the Polk's is the looks and box design. Both use the same mid-range drivers and tweeters, RTi A-series was just a redesign in terms of looks but not sound.

In a side by side comparison of my Polk RTi4's vs the Polk RTi A1's they sounded identical and I could not tell the different between the two. The only thing that makes the Polk RTi A-series nicer is the looks. But this is an audio forum not a looks forum so I would suggest a cheaper speaker than performs just as well as their newer version but does not look as pretty.
wow, really? double the price just for prettier boxes? i'm not doubting you, i'm just really surprised.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Cronus98,

I sent you a private message. Hope it helps!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts