AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Time Warner Cable (both the digital cable service + roadrunner), and it seems to get a fairly weak signal to my apartment. I am running a splitter in my room, with one side running to the cable modem and the other into a digital cable box (Pace 550HD).

Would connecting an RF amplifier before the splitter provide any marginal benefit to my cable signal or internet speed?

What are the best RF amplifiers for these purposes (I noticed that there are some cheap inline amps, and then some more expensive powered amps for about $100)?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinthar
Would connecting an RF amplifier before the splitter provide any marginal benefit
Perhaps ... perhaps not.

An amp will increase signal strength ... but it will also introduce noise. So, depending on what your signal problems are ... it could make it better, or worse, or have no effect.

If you can get a measurement of your signal level, S/N ratio, etc at different points along your signal path ... you'd have a better chance of figuring out the best course of action.

I called my cable compnay and complained about signal level and looked over their shoulder while they measured my signal at various points ...

They ended up re-running the line from the street and installing one of these:
http://www.channelvision.com/pdf/pro...cts/C-0315.pdf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.