AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered a 5040 unit and was wondering if there are any RF based remotes that work with this unit. I'm assuming that the included remote is IR based.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't want to post a link and violate any of the forum's rules, but we have an RF extender product that works great with the ReplayTV remotes. Do a search for ReplayTV on our site if you're interested.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dvasco
Bluedo has poor customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Care to be more specific? Examples might be informative. Rants just look silly.

·
Registered
220 Posts
dvasco - drop me a line, I'm not sure what problem you're experiencing? [email protected]

Edit: I can't find your email or anything resembling your username in our system, so I've PMed you, please reply and I'll be happy to take care of any problems you're having with the product!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I use the Leapfrog IR extender.

It has a small (sortof) IR reciever that you stick on the end of your remote control and sends IR signals via RF to the emitter unit (that has a jack that you can plug in other emitters to).

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I can very strongly recommend the Radio Shack 15-2117. It's an 8 in 1 universal remote that's JP1 programmable (ask or search for more info on that), and comes with a RF repeater station. The remote itself is IR and RF to that base station.

It comes with Replay codes already programmed under one of the VCR codes.

And it's relatively inexpensive!

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Don't buy the remote extender from Bluedo.com!!!!!!

Use something from best buy, radio shack or x10.com. Much better response by the unit.

I'm going to ask you to back that up with some sort of info because I've personally only had good dealings with BlueDo and I've only heard good reports from others also.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by plyons10
I don't know that you can purchase an extra repeater. The base station does come with an IR blaster, which you can splice to make multiple "heads".

Here's an introduction to JP1 programmable remotes. Welcome to JP1!!!
I called 4 shack stores in my area and found one that had only one left.

Did you make your own JP1 interconnect cable?

I did consider the BlueDo product, but I wanted to be sure that it would work properly for my setup at home. The shack remote was easily returnable if it didn't work out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Wow! My personal experience with BlueDo has been good.

You are the first person I have ever heard of, claiming their customer service was bad. What happened?

John

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I did NOT make my own cable.

This was recently discussed in this thread .

Basically, unless you find the project deeply satisfying on some other level, it's hardly worth your time and effort to make one when you can order one online for less than $20 (start at hifi-remote.com)

And I agree that you should feel comfortable doing business with BlueDo if they have the product you really want. The stock 5K remote is quite nice, I think, and would be tempted to use BlueDo's cool extender with it. The 5K remote is also JP1 hack-able and can be used to control your CD / DVD player, receiver, etc.!

Make sure you join the Yahoo! JP1 group and good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.